Ski Area Employment

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Ski Area Employment

Has anyone ever worked part time at a ski area in order to defray the cost of a season pass or to receive any other benefits? With four kids, I'm trying to figure out how to make skiing more affordable... I'd be willing to sacrifice my skiing time to keep them on the slopes and in seasonal programs, but I'm wondering what if any benefits a ski area might extend to me and/or my family members.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any advice?

Thanks in advance!

I've never done it, but you do get pretty good benefits at some resorts. Volunteering in something like the ski patrol would also be a good way to defray costs.

Different areas give different benefits. They are not equal across the board at any individual ski area either. Some jobs have better benies (also some people get better ones than others in the same jobs)
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

Ski Area Employment

I've gotten free season passes in the past because my wife has worked full time at Cranmore and Gunstock. That's the kind of benefit possible if you're a full time year round employee.

If you're a part-timer, you can expect a pass for yourself at that mountain, obviously, but you'll also get the benefit of letters you can take to other mountains for a free or discounted lift ticket for you, which is nothing to sneeze at. I keep pondering the idea myself.

I work part time at our local mountain. I really enjoy working there, but it actually eats into my skiing time. As mentioned above the benefits are going to vary from area to area and even from job function to job function. Where I am the benefits depend on how many hours you work. To get passes for you and additional family members you'd have to work near full time hours. If I were going to look for a position at a ski area purely to get skiing benefits for my family I'd start by looking at volunteer positions (ski patrol, mountain ambassador, etc..).

Brian

Thanks all, I really appreciate it. I'll let you know what I find out...

Quote Originally Posted by Los View Post
    Thanks all, I really appreciate it. I'll let you know what I find out...
    Also if you run an after school ski program you can get some benefits from that.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

I haven't worked for one but when I was looking into the Ranger program at Wachusett you got free skiing for the entire family for the season and dramatically discounted rates for their DEV team.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    15-16 Killington 11-17-16

I volunteer with the adaptive program at Cannon. I volunteer for the whole season, 8 weeks of lessons. In addition to it being an *awesome* program with a great group of people, I get a free season pass. Single day volunteers get a ticket for the rest of the day if they can't make the commitment for the full day/full season.
    All skiing is good. Some skiing isn't as good. But all skiing is good.

@mtncobber on the instafeeds.

Quote Originally Posted by wtcobb View Post
    I volunteer with the adaptive program at Cannon. I volunteer for the whole season, 8 weeks of lessons. In addition to it being an *awesome* program with a great group of people, I get a free season pass. Single day volunteers get a ticket for the rest of the day if they can't make the commitment for the full day/full season.
    That's fantastic that you volunteer your time for that. It seems like the most worthwhile way to spend time at a ski area.

Thread Information