• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow 12-12-16 ($1.20 an inch!)

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Thread is titled because today was Founder's Day and tickets were $12 in advance. Normally I'd be more than content to wander the lodge and look at the history stuff they had set up but....

10 inches of powder!!!

Time Skied: 9:00-3:15 (no lunch or stoppages)
Weather: AM snow/clouds, PM clouds and some drizzle the final couple runs
Conditions: Powder to chopped powder to wet snow

Cleaned 5 inches off the car in Weston VT. In a front-wheel drive car Route 100 in the snow is almost as fun as the skiing its self. VT DOT was in full force, with all 4 plow trucks in action :lol:

Big crowd to start the day. Lodge was packed. PSIA snow jam. I got in line for the bubble at 8:50 and was the 15th chair up or so. First run Cascade-Canyon. The snow was dreamy! Thick enough to keep you supported, light enough to keep you from breaking a sweat. Second run was Freefall on the North Face- completely cleaned out. Bailed onto PDF and that was fun. Went back to the main face and it was great! Ropes dropping all over the place! 10 inches was enough to open most of the hill. Exhibition, Ego Alley, Yard Sale, and Shootout were my favorites. Just a blast to ski! Crowds on the hill were minimal on the main face, still the mountain ran the Bluebird and the Grand Summit so I usually rode the quad by myself.

At noon I went over to Carinthia. WOW! At 12pm, I found myself atop Iron Run, with no rope, and zero tracks. Zero. At noon. On a powder day. I made the first tracks down Iron Run of the season...and third, fourth, and fifth tracks. What an awesome trail. Classic New England trail that Southern Vermont forgot about and left it to the skiers...not the tourists. Mineshaft was also great. Seemed like there was more snow on Carinthia, probably less traffic as one-plankers tend to be afraid of flats when it snows more than .5 inches ;-)

Back to the Main Face at 2pm. I did Snowdance, Snowdance, Snowdance, a run down Snowdance, a couple runs down Snowdance, went back to Snowdance, and ended my day on Snowdance...well maybe I didn't do Snowdance that many times, but I lapped it quite a few. Skiers right was awesome! Love the waterbars on that trail! When the right side is in play it's a great fun trail! Drifter and Choke were good. My skis found the Ledge on Ledge.

All-in-all an AWESOME day! Mount Snow is great on a powder day. It's low-angle and grassy so stuff opens up quick and is safe to ski on. My skis look great- a lot more damage was done to them at Killington on Saturday.

Unfortunately a fog/drizzle combination at the end of the day really killed the natural, I believe. A lot of water got in the snow and I don't think it will take too kindly to the overnight low of 20 degrees. Groomers should be great but naturals are gonna be rock hard.

Not much exposed stuff on Choke.
DSCF5631.jpg

Iron Run, a ski trail that's a trail...without any tracks, too!
DSCF5626.jpg

Canyon is looking good!
DSCF5634.jpg

prsboogie

I was up there as well. The low ceiling was impressive! ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1481594357.357949.jpgthe pow bumps were a ton of fun. Freefall was completed glacial by 10 when I got over there ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1481594460.845328.jpg the lower half was fine ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1481594490.106205.jpg I took off at 2 with smoked legs and a smile!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

slatham

Nice report thanks. Drizzle might not be great for skiing tomorrow but it will be beneficial long term as it will help solidify the base before the artic winds try to blow the snow off the mountain!

drjeff

Love the drizzle report!! Will set it up and with the forecast of flurries the rest of the week, snowmaking firing back up soon, and a possible storm for Saturday, help set Mount Snow, and the greater Deerfield Valley up for a Christmas week that will hopefully be totally opposite of last year's rainy, limited terrain financial debacle!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

laxski

Great report was up until Sunday afternoon. Wish I could have taken Monday. Hopefully many more days like this to come this winter!!!

C-Rex

I was there as well for my first day of the season. What a way to start it off! On my first run, I got a little overexcited and stuffed the nose while landing off a waterbar. Tomahawked it to the delight of the crowd above on the Bluebird. Rung my bell a bit but laughed it off and soldiered on. Bounced around the mountain all day. Seemed like everything was skiing fantastic. We ducked the rope on that trial skier's left of Snowdance for some fresh tracks. It was awesome but ran out of pitch on the exit and got stuck. Oops. I rode nonstop from around 9 to like 2:30 before my legs were completely cooked. Tuesday and Wednesday I could barely walk down a flight of stairs because my quads threatened to give out on each step. I'm feeling good now though. Too bad I have to work tomorrow to make up for taking Monday off...

Let's hope this is just the beginning of things to come. After last year, we deserve it. :)