• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

weekend of 12/17-18?

Glenn

This is an interest weekend for sure. Let's hope the rain is fast and brief overnight Saturday into Sunday.

drjeff

This weekend is easy... Saturday ='s good Sunday ='s bad!

Sunday is going to be falling temps, flash freezing everything combined with likely a massive amount of wind holds, as some of the elevation forecasts are calling for sustained winds above 50, with much higher gusts :eek:

NYDB

Agree

Sat looks awesome, Sun looks wet and soft until 1pm or so and then get out the ice skates

Mon-Wed looks like the big resurface.

dlague

There has been a lot of talk about a warm up but I do not see anything significant besides Sunday for a bit. There are a few smaller warm up windows coming but nothing blow torch like. In fact, night time temps will be cold enough for a while to preserve base and the warmer temps may not cause too much damage. The toughest issue will be refreeze - and the resurfacing. Refreeze almost always results in resurfaced trails to get scraped off early, or they groom to early and golf ball sized death cookies are created.

snoseek

This doesn't look completely terrible for Northern NH.

Cornhead

Looks like a might be headed for another powder day at Snow Ridge Saturday. Multiple feet possible. I signed up for the company Christmas party, but I may have to blow that off.

Sent from my XT1064 using AlpineZone mobile app

Kleetus

Looks like a might be headed for another powder day at Snow Ridge Saturday. Multiple feet possible. I signed up for the company Christmas party, but I may have to blow that off.

Sent from my XT1064 using AlpineZone mobile app

I'm thinking of maybe hitting Snow Ridge Saturday as well...originally was planning on Gore but tough to pass up on pow especially with the way the forecast looks for Snow Ridge right now...plus the Lake Effect band is pretty intense as it is sitting now

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Tin

Well that just went to shit for everyone in a hurry (MRV north to Jay looks to make out best, and by best I mean least amount of rain). Much, much less of a front end thump and more liquid.

Savemeasammy

Well that just went to shit for everyone in a hurry (MRV north to Jay looks to make out best, and by best I mean least amount of rain). Much, much less of a front end thump and more liquid.

We don't need this kind of negativity around here...!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Tin

Think we need to re-evaluate opinions of the NAM models. The 3 and 4k nailed the streamers and squall that gave MRV 10"+ last night and had it two days ago.

bdfreetuna

Think we need to re-evaluate opinions of the NAM models. The 3 and 4k nailed the streamers and squall that gave MRV 10"+ last night and had it two days ago.

MRG says 1-3" last night.

Where are you going this weekend? I'm thinking Bolton Valley.. preacher/playground is open and I have passes to use there. If money was no object I'd probably head to Mt Ellen.

edit:

Just realized I have 2-for-1 at Burke thru Mountain Sports Club. Coupon printed. Burke says they will possibly be at 100% for Saturday. Love that mountain!

Last edited:

Tin

Pico now. Whiteout and 2 hours of squalls and whatever has fallen lately is on the side 20-30' of trails in 2'+ drifts. Absolutely amazing.

ScottySkis

So what think I will happen at Mountain Snow this weekend. I was thinking of skiing Saturday after car is fixed. Sleeping at Hotel Altima in Bennington then ski Sunday use bubble chair protect my self from rain the go home.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The Sneak

Supposed to ski Snow or Stratton Monday. Thinking of moving it to Wednesday.

I fear Monday will be frigid with miserable conditions.

Agree? Will Wednesday be significantly better?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bdfreetuna

A couple extra passes with the grooming tractor surely won't hurt. Some snow will be made as well. Sounds like a good idea to me.

drjeff

So what think I will happen at Mountain Snow this weekend. I was thinking of skiing Saturday after car is fixed. Sleeping at Hotel Altima in Bennington then ski Sunday use bubble chair protect my self from rain the go home.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

The biggest issue with Sunday is the timing of when the Arctic front, with the plummeting temps and BIG winds arrives. If it's after lunch, it could be a decent, albeit likely a bit damp, of a morning. If the front goes through not long after 1st chair, you'd be looking at an ugly situation with lifts going on wind hold and the snow setting up (and likely the roads too) quickly - it's all about the timing...

Jully

I'm going to be at Sunday River Tuesday. Really hoping that they recover quickly. Monday should be very not good though I think. Wednesday will be significantly better assuming the resort has the desire to make any snow and or spend a lot of time grooming. Any natural stuff is going to take a little longer than that to recover though...

Smellytele

Smuggs Saturday or if roads and time are not on my side may just end the trip at Bolton. Although that hill up to Bolton can be interesting...

Sunday if it stops raining early enough may hit Pats peak for a few runs or just watch the Pats game