• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Stowe 12.9.16

Madroch

Stowe 12.9.16
Chilly (10 at the summit) and windy (25-40) with varying rates of snow throughout the day.

Powder and cut up powder and big soft bumps -with wind and snow squall refreshes.Simply a wonderful skiing surface. On natty trails - which was pretty much everything- didn't here a scrape of ice all day. Pretty much everything in play - particularly top 1500 feet. Only thing limiting woods was water- unfrozen streams etc. had to hike out or over some water on occasion.

Snow on natty trails was so soft with a decent base of heavier but not frozen, you could stand on even packed sections but plant your pole through it down to grip...

On arrival looks like winter
09ec860640964b2e077bf18175ecffef.jpg

Top of chin clip...
de2c0b98e95f5fe7eeb5e3d0d4bed0a9.jpg

And middle goat in phenomenal form for dec..

e7379e826ede84dadc2836b7e6bc5025.jpg

Amazing day for mid winter... let alone early December.

Here is part of day before phone froze..

14968753866bc43ca7bb9c59485b870f.jpg

Last edited:

SkiingInABlueDream

I was there Fri thru Sunday. As you wrote, Friday was amazing. Between the snow, all day wind and low traffic it was an all day refresh of smooth wind buffed soft powder.

hayride below the rope was deep and soft.
Saturday was cooooold. Thermometer at the top of forerunner didn't get much above zero. I dressed warm but my boots have never felt so stiff. Crowded late morning but then emptied out at lunchtime.

KevinF

I was there Fri thru Sunday. As you wrote, Friday was amazing. Between the snow, all day wind and low traffic it was an all day refresh of smooth wind buffed soft powder.

hayride below the rope was deep and soft.
Saturday was cooooold. Thermometer at the top of forerunner didn't get much above zero. I dressed warm but my boots have never felt so stiff. Crowded late morning but then emptied out at lunchtime.

One of the nice things about Saturday (besides the amazing conditions) was that you could tell the Stowe regulars from the occasional visitors. That wasn't even remotely cold. Maybe a tad chilly. No hair dryer required to pry the boots off, no hot chocolate breaks required.

SkiingInABlueDream

One of the nice things about Saturday (besides the amazing conditions) was that you could tell the Stowe regulars from the occasional visitors. That wasn't even remotely cold. Maybe a tad chilly. No hair dryer required to pry the boots off, no hot chocolate breaks required.

Lol... I skied a full day Saturday, didn't need warmup breaks and had no trouble unbooting at the end of the day. And Im not a regular, go figure.