• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Okemo 12/12/16

MG Skier

Okemo
12/12/16 - Monday
mid to upper 20's
Overcast most of the day!

Well after a challenging ride to get there, it was worth the trip. Route 91 North was torture....time for better snow tires!

This was my first day out this season, more than a month earlier than last year. I knew they had snow but wow, conditions were fluffy and fun! Saphire was loaded with snow, the first few runs took me a bit to "remember how to ski". After a break I skied over to the Jacksonville side. Limelight was crazy fun! Sides of the trails were buried in pow, good times!!

Road up the new Quantum 4 (Heated Couch/chairlift) and came down Vortex. It skied great, the steeps had plenty of snow.

Back on the the main mountain I skied through the Whistler glade, more snow than I expected! Next run was upper and lower World cup. What an amazing difference on a powder day!

Would love to have done a few more runs but, I was tired and the knees said "Stop if you want to ski the rest of the season!"

Not bad at all for this time of year!

Madroch

Was there day before on 12-11... firm and fast- they obviously had been focusing on expanding rather than resurfacing as World Cup and their early openers were thin and firm... JG stuff was deeper with death cookies that would soon be skied in. Glad they got some snow- the southern greens are worlds behind northern from what I witnessed friday before 12/9 at Stowe.

76363065f00c42e6fb968bb0e47061ba.jpg

Here is the days work...

b2a142993d1e49d97679984b5b438aeb.jpg

MG Skier

Was there day before on 12-11... firm and fast- they obviously had been focusing on expanding rather than resurfacing as World Cup and their early openers were thin and firm... JG stuff was deeper with death cookies that would soon be skied in. Glad they got some snow- the southern greens are worlds behind northern from what I witnessed friday before 12/9 at Stowe.

76363065f00c42e6fb968bb0e47061ba.jpg

Here is the days work...

b2a142993d1e49d97679984b5b438aeb.jpg

I wished I snapped a pic or two, I don't think I was ever there with so much powder bumped up on the groomers. My ski track wasnt as impressive as it was my day one and I forgot to turn it back on after a break! Drat!

Madroch

Yeah- fresh snow taxes the legs a bit, no doubt. I'd rather have fewer runs like you did and better snow

SkiRay

Studded tires. Got them 2 years ago and have no regrets getting them.

We skied Okemo opening weekend, with just a few runs open, it was fun, but need to go back to ski more of their terrain. Our winter place is like right there..

MG Skier

Studded tires. Got them 2 years ago and have no regrets getting them.

We skied Okemo opening weekend, with just a few runs open, it was fun, but need to go back to ski more of their terrain. Our winter place is like right there..

Not looking forward to buying a set of 20 inch tires for the F-150. I will say it is WAY more comfortable on a long trip than the old Ford Ranger! (That had a destiny with a tree after Sunapee last season.