• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

abandoning facebook

jimk

Here’s where I show my age; never signed on to facebook although have peeked at it on occasion. Feedback from other family using FB is that it has approximately 65% positive and 35% negative effects on family relations. Never been on Instagram or twitter. I use youtube almost daily strictly to watch music or informational videos. Despite aforementioned, I am curious about how these platforms support the ski industry.

Glenn

I check FB maybe once a week. More often then not, I find myself in the marketplace looking for things I don't need; another snowmobile, car, pickup, heavy equipment.

I used to get decent weather info and ski condition info on FB but it seems their algorithms are always changing. Now, who knows what shows up in my feed. I certainly don't want to spend time "liking" stuff to make the feed better.

The more I look around, the more concerned I get with the reliance on digital technology. Skiing last week, I saw a lot of people staring at their phones in the liftline and using them on the lift. Hey, if you're not at work but still working midweek...ok. But what happened to unwinding on the weekends? Even just being out in general. Seems that if people have a few seconds of downtime, out comes the phone. Saw a high school kid getting on the school bus yesterday. Barely looked up from his phone as the bus rolled up and he hopped on.

JimG.

Staff member
Here’s where I show my age; never signed on to facebook although have peeked at it on occasion. Feedback from other family using FB is that it has approximately 65% positive and 35% negative effects on family relations. Never been on Instagram or twitter. I use youtube almost daily strictly to watch music or informational videos. Despite aforementioned, I am curious about how these platforms support the ski industry.

Fellow dinosaur! I've never even looked at FB.

Too busy enjoying life to spend time looking at or commenting on/"liking" everything everyone else is doing.

Matt Miller

I use Facebook for memes and to keep myself updated. However, I hardly post anything. I’m just don't feel the need to tell everyone what I’m doing or feeling.

Funky_Catskills

Fellow dinosaur! I've never even looked at FB.

Too busy enjoying life to spend time looking at or commenting on/"liking" everything everyone else is doing.

wow... that's brutal dude.. Very "GET OFF MY LAWN" feeling...

Somehow I manage to do both and still maintain a great active life. It's my watercooler because I work alone from home.

benski

I read have been reading research that showed quitting Facebook and Instagram makes one happier. All that looking at what others interact when your alone is bad for you. I feel stuck with it so a block lots of people so I can view Facebook and quickly see what I need to see. Though college clubs are going back to list-serves.

Funky_Catskills

They say a sucker is born every minute and it must be true. I would not give FB a second look.

I'm no sucker - I know what goes to Facebook and I use it to my advantage.
I know what's secure and what is not. I know how to use it to freely promote my music and events.

Not a sucker - a modern software user.
This is the 4th industrial revolution. It's happening now and I think it's awesome!