• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

abandoning facebook

jimk

How many were heavy facebook users and now no longer log-in or log-in very little?

Interesting post from slopefillers.com: http://www.slopefillers.com/social-media-usage-2/
Aimed at ski marketing types, but touches on a universal issue about excessive facebook time cutting into an individual's productivity and creativity?!?

Just kind of curious because personally I never joined facebook. Must admit though, that I use ski forums as a sort of focused alternative.

jimk

So 90 minutes after I make this post I open up Jan '17 Ski Mag and read article on Can Facebook Save Skiing? :-?

It touts how important social media, esp Facebook is at snagging the younger generation. So what do I know?

yeggous

So 90 minutes after I make this post I open up Jan '17 Ski Mag and read article on Can Facebook Save Skiing? :-?

It touts how important social media, esp Facebook is at snagging the younger generation. So what do I know?

More than that magazine. Facebook is for old people. The kids are on many other platforms.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

benski

More than that magazine. Facebook is for old people. The kids are on many other platforms.

Young people are all over the place with there platforms. In college you have to use Facebook to keep track of Club events. What young people don't do much is post Facebook statuses.

snoseek

Lots of transitional people and lots of cool people I've met over the years so I like Facebook.
Its pretty awful during election years so anyone that's regurgitating infowars stuff goes on ignore. If you spend all day on it then its obviously a problem and delete....other than that it works fine for its purpose.

SkiFanE

Snapchat seems to be where it's at for youngsters. Facebook is nothing to them even though they have accts. my kids check it maybe weekly. FB to me is a frustrating platform but I deal to keep up with friends and fam. But don't get sucked into it all day. When I'm bored and need distraction it's perfect but when busy don't even think about it. It was horrid during election time tho - can't be called "social" media then - it's argumentative people yelling at brick walls lol.

Facebook is great to keep in touch with my skiing community which is very spread out.

jimk

:lol:
My sister told me about five years ago lots of old people jumped into Facebook big time and that's when anyone under 35 backed away from high activity because their parents were watching and it wasn't cool anymore.

yeggous

:lol:
My sister told me about five years ago lots of old people jumped into Facebook big time and that's when anyone under 35 backed away from high activity because their parents were watching and it wasn't cool anymore.

Yes, but more like seven years ago. Once my parents joined is exactly when I stopped using it. Thinking that Facebook is the way to connect with youth was great a decade ago, but is an obsolete strategy.

benski

Yes, but more like seven years ago. Once my parents joined is exactly when I stopped using it. Thinking that Facebook is the way to connect with youth was great a decade ago, but is an obsolete strategy.
I am a sophomore in college. It is a common medium for communicating public events, memes, and politics. I fallow many ski areas on Facebook and based on likes I am not the only one. One girl I know who is a freshman in college even shares some Jackson Hole posts. Instagram could be great for ski areas to share pictures, especially if they are ascetically pleasing. Snapchat it is defiantly important to have an attractive filter so someones pictures can clearly be identified as a particular resort. I don't see resorts getting threw to many people on snapchat though it doesn't hurt to post a "snapstory."

Puck it

Never been on it. I thought it was the stupidest concept ever and still do. I could care less what others are doing.

Boxtop Willie

Facebook has lost value to me. Use it now only because certain organizations I belong to (i.e. my ski school) use it to post announcements. From a personal perspective it's not adding much, but sucked a lot of time. Might check it once a week. Usually I'm alerted to an important post through Snapchat. BTW, (challenging stereotypes), I'm old, 45+.

dlague

I toyed around with Facebook early on and then my wife did the same, however, she really got into it as if it was the actual news. She checks it religiously where I checked it from time to time. The problem is if you are away from it for days the you miss a lot but that really does not seem to matter. There are also a lot of people who vent which is a turn off. Then again that happens here too. And politics are a PITA on FB. AZ is my primary social media of sorts and FB fills a void when there is nothing here but it is not really my thing but more my wife's.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

Bostonian

FB is really good at this point for keeping in touch with family and some friends, along with a few groups I am in. I am also using it to begin to mount a campaign to run for public office, which is actually pretty decent platform to get the word out slowly. I still check it daily, but I don't post nearly as much as I use to back in the day...

deadheadskier

Staff member
At this point, dropping FB would be an inconvenience. It's the platform of choice for planning events between all of my family and friends. Actually, more so my wife's family and friends than my own and she doesn't have an account. So, I'm kind of stuck with it.

I do actually enjoy it as a platform for ski stoke. Most ski areas I frequent make a post or two per day with good pictures or short videos of what's going on up at the mountain. Gets me pumped up for when I'm skiing there next.

Tin

I thoroughly enjoy FB. Watching people from high school get fat and family members ruin their lives and share it all on social media are pastimes of mine.

Not to mention the year and a half long mini AZ group chat that has been going on.

dlague

I thoroughly enjoy FB. Watching people from high school get fat and family members ruin their lives and share it all on social media are pastimes of mine.

Not to mention the year and a half long mini AZ group chat that has been going on.
It is interesting how many people post their woes!

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

skijay

I don't have cable or satellite TV so this is my source of "premium channel reality TV".

Jully

Interesting article on the implications of social media trends for ski area marketing: https://www.saminfo.com/the-magazin...e-state-of-resort-social-media-marketing-2018

Bottom line: Instagram on the rise.

The one thing I haven't tried is asking resorts questions over non-facebook forms of social media. I've messaged SR and a few other resorts over Facebook Messenger in the past and been pleased with the response.

Tons of great pictures and announcements and videos on twitter and instagram, but the direct message system is a bit clunkier IMO.