• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where to go the day after Christmas?

Smellytele

Well looks like it's snowing now despite the site saying it's raining. Just hope it keeps up and the rain on Monday doesn't come until late afternoon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sugarbush yesterday after they got "7" inches of snow Thursday was mostly a scrapped off mess. A few trails weren't bad and the few tree runs we did were okay but a little thin. Bumps were hard with pockets of snow.

rocks860

Sugarbush yesterday after they got "7" inches of snow Thursday was mostly a scrapped off mess. A few trails weren't bad and the few tree runs we did were okay but a little thin. Bumps were hard with pockets of snow.

Well that's disappointing. Are there any other options you would suggest for Monday? Sounds like everywhere is going to be pretty shitty

prsboogie

Hey don't fall into the trap! Get out wherever you want to ski and make the best of it. I was going to WaWa today for a half day but talked myself out of it do to rain and low and behold was snowing this morning on the web cam.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

cdskier

I skied Thursday and it was quite good. I don't doubt the 7" at the summit based on what I skied Thursday. There was easily 4" first thing in the morning on Ripcord and Organgrinder and it kept snowing most of the day. Murphy's and Birdland on all natural snow were skiing very nicely on Thursday mid-day and there was probably only 3-4" of new snow at the elevation for those trails at that point. There were a decent number of people there Thursday though, so I guess it isn't too surprising that it got skied off by Friday. I was surprised how many cars were in the lot on Friday by 10am when I drove past as I was heading home so I'm sure that didn't help preserve any snow either.

rocks860

I skied Thursday and it was quite good. I don't doubt the 7" at the summit based on what I skied Thursday. There was easily 4" first thing in the morning on Ripcord and Organgrinder and it kept snowing most of the day. Murphy's and Birdland on all natural snow were skiing very nicely on Thursday mid-day and there was probably only 3-4" of new snow at the elevation for those trails at that point. There were a decent number of people there Thursday though, so I guess it isn't too surprising that it got skied off by Friday. I was surprised how many cars were in the lot on Friday by 10am when I drove past as I was heading home so I'm sure that didn't help preserve any snow either.

From the webcam it didn't look too busy today and I can't imagine tomorrow will be super busy. Well we'll see on Monday

Hunter is in great shape, with Clairs, Upper Cross and Racers all in fine shape. No crowds either.

cdskier

Hunter is in great shape, with Clairs, Upper Cross and Racers all in fine shape. No crowds either.

I debated whether to leave my skis in VT or bring them home and do a trip up to the Catskills one day this week...I just couldn't convince myself to spend the money on a day ticket. Best prices I saw at Hunter were $64. Belleayre would be only $52 but has a lot not yet open. And then Plattekill would be only mid 40s but I usually do a day there President's weekend when there's a better chance of most of their terrain being open. I'd love to get back to Hunter one day (haven't been there in 10-15 years) but it is so hard to justify spending that much on a day ticket.

WWF-VT

Mt Ellen was OK today. Best conditions were off the Summit chair - Rim Run, Elbow and Looking Good. Hammerhead and Cliffs were decent for all natural snow trails. Inverness will get better with additional snow making in progress and the guns are on Brambles. Looks like the winds will pick up mid day tomorrow and the direction may have more of an impact on the lifts a Lincoln Peak.

rocks860

Mt Ellen was OK today. Best conditions were off the Summit chair - Rim Run, Elbow and Looking Good. Hammerhead and Cliffs were decent for all natural snow trails. Inverness will get better with additional snow making in progress and the guns are on Brambles. Looks like the winds will pick up mid day tomorrow and the direction may have more of an impact on the lifts a Lincoln Peak.

I assume you only skied mount Ellen not lincoln peak?

rocks860

Correct - except for Super Bravo all the lifts were on windhold this AM at LP

Yeah I saw that. Well I'm gonna head up super early and see what happens. Not expecting a lot but it'll be good to get out there

rocks860

Well I ended up going to sugarbush and it was better than I expected. Got there around 915 and the first lot was only about half full. Took a run off of gatehouse and the snow was pretty nice. Then took a bunch of runs off heavens gate. Paradise had a good amount of snow and wasn't as sketchy as I thought it would be. Didn't ski ripcord as it looked and sounded pretty scraped off but took a few runs down organ grinder which was pretty nice. Run of the day was probably moonshine which had some bare spots but over all was a lot of fun. Not a bad first day of the season