• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mt Snow and Traverses

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

I am going to be heading up to Mt. Snow on Xmas with 3 young skiers and one young snowboarder. As they are not terribly advanced, we will be sticking to the easier trails. With one being a snowboarder, though, I am worried that trails which require traverses (as some easy trails at big mountains do) will be a challenge for her.

Can anyone advise as to what Mt Snow trails feature significant traverses that may be difficult for a young snowboarder?

ScottySkis

I not sure. I sure they will love Catrina leak has all kinds of 100 % features for snowboarding people.

drjeff

High Traverse, Low Traverse, Somerset Rd, Mineshaft and Sweet 16 would be ones that could cause issues - If Big Dipper is open in Sunbrook, that has a decent length flat in the middle as well, but on a sunny day, the view is worth it!

River Run on the Northface might be an issue the last few hundred feet as you near the Northface lifts as well

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

skifree

I would start out of sundance lodge and see how it goes. good parking/ easy terrain and you can venture anywhere from there.

Glenn

Stay off Long John. That trail gets really busy during peak times. It's got a nice easy pitch, but it's littered with people.

skimagic

When looking at the main mountain, the trails on the left side of the bubble chair have a few flat benches. Most intermediate trails run into a long flat bench below Low Traverse- it used to be called "meadow" so that tells you something; its now called Ridge. On the right side, the snowdance and the one more time runs have a long flat runout, so get some speed to get you back to the canyon-bubble base.

Ski2LiveLive2Ski

Crowds should fortunately not be an issue as we will be there on the 25th (after doing Jiminy with 2 kids on 24th).

25th is one of my fav skiing days for that reason.

So among the greens and blues now open, it sounds like no major traverses required on:
Long John
Little John
Deer Run
Cascade
Canyon
Thanks Walt
Cloud 9

If so, I will likely start with those. I am a veteran of skiing in PA with 2 kids, but skiing in VT with 2 kids and 2 teens (one on a board) is a bit intimidating.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I've only seen snowboarders have trouble on lower Mineshaft in Carinthia, and there's a small uphill section on Lower Exhibition. One of my favorite things about Mount Snow is there is a lack of traverses, really. There's some short flats but I rarely find myself skating. It's very hard for me to think of a big mountain with fewer traverses. Stratton comes to mind.

jmgard

There aren't really any that are Killington/Sunday River bad, but there are a few here and there. Ridge comes to mind first as the top part is a decent blue groomer but it has a really long flat runout. South Bowl, Exhibition, and some of the other trails on that side (skiers right) feed into it as well. Canyon is a good place to start, it's a pretty consistent low-blue pitch most of the way down. Long John/Deer Run is the main green off the top and as such it can be extremely crowded. Basically like skiing the 405 if you're there on a Saturday. Decent trail if you can catch it on a slow day though.

Jcb890

Being a snowboarder, I don't think there's anything at Mount Snow that comes close to being on the level of traversing as say a mountain like Killington. You'll have to traverse going from the North Face lifts back over to Long John or the Main Face. There are a couple of sections over on Sunrbook which are flatter towards the lower half of the trail, but it shouldn't be an issue of needing to traverse.

As skifree said, the Sundance lodge is a great place to setup your home base, especially if you'll have beginners. The beginner slope and lift is right out in front and it is usually less busy on that side as well which is nice.

Long John gets to be their busiest and most congested trail, but it is a nice easy trail and is still nice and long at the same time.

Savemeasammy

Traversing at Killington? Only if A: you are trying to find the easiest way down, or B: you ride to the top of one mountain and then choose to traverse to another mountain. The latter is operator error.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

benski

I went to killington last year and only knew where two trail are and never traversed during a full day of skiing.