• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where are you skiing today!

Well hears a good day, Skied Hunter this morning, drove 4 hours in the bliazzard to Vt and got one run at 4p

Edd

Stood in line for for the chair to open at Gunstock. They pre-sold a record # of tix today so, being crowd averse, I knew I wouldn't last long. But a free ticket and a fresh storm sucked me in.

They kindly left half of Redhat ungroomed so I hit the 12" they claimed 3 times and then hit the HSQ for some human slaloms. The snow quality was very good. Flintlock, strangely, isn't open yet. The wind is not a factor at all today. Gunstock is going to have a banner weekend.

Cornhead

Skied Greek today, about 3", got into the closed glades, stopped halfway down Aesop's, asked my buddy, "Why is this closed?" He said, "Because it's awesome"

Sent from my R1 HD using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

Skied Stratton today where both my kids had a race - the gondola was on wind hold until about noon, only rode AMEX and URSA six packs - best run for me was Tamarack under the gondola with 8-10" of soft chop over a bunch of soft bumps.

Quite firm in places underneath, kept snowing on/off throughout the day and the winds were blowing stuff into the woods.

Unfortunately my daughter crashed hard and I ended up spending a few hours with her in Stratton's medical clinic - fortunately it was just a badly sprained wrist and nothing broken (as I said earlier, it was FIRM underneath!)

HUGE crowd!! As we were leaving and driving from the main base area out and around the Sun Bowl base of Stratton on the back way over to Mount Snow, cars were parked on the road from Stratton's out lot by their mtn ops building all the way over the the Sunbowl access road, and all the way down the access road as far as I could see!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

MommaBear

I seem to be in your shadow this week Dr Jeff! First slipping and sliding home in the freezing rain the other night and now hanging out in medical centers with hurt kids. My guy dislocated his shoulder (again) at Mount Snow. Thankfully, the medical center there was able to take care of him, once they got their x-ray equipment working (unlike the injury at Burke which landed us in the ER for multiple hours). But it cut the day short - I never even got my skis on! Crowds were crazy, lines were unbelievable and even the traffic getting to the mountain at 8/8:30 was a first. Backed up to within a quarter mile of our place - 3 miles south of the mountain!

skimagic

Was pretty crowded at Berkshire East today, lot was filled to the brim. Lift problems all day with the main quad, so lift lines mid morning were insane. Berk decided not to run other lifts until mid morning for some reason. Snow was great, about 6-7". Found good powder runs in some stashes, but luckily brought the rock skis.. Later, main runs getting scraped off. Despite the lift issue, Great day for the Beast.

drjeff

I seem to be in your shadow this week Dr Jeff! First slipping and sliding home in the freezing rain the other night and now hanging out in medical centers with hurt kids. My guy dislocated his shoulder (again) at Mount Snow. Thankfully, the medical center there was able to take care of him, once they got their x-ray equipment working (unlike the injury at Burke which landed us in the ER for multiple hours). But it cut the day short - I never even got my skis on! Crowds were crazy, lines were unbelievable and even the traffic getting to the mountain at 8/8:30 was a first. Backed up to within a quarter mile of our place - 3 miles south of the mountain!
Hope you're kid is doing as well as mine! She's currently trying to figure out what glove situation will work with her splinted wrist/hand so she can train tomorrow!!

My wife skied our home hill today, and said with wind holds on Sunbrook and the Northface that it was crazy busy in the base areas!! Took her 3 Moovers this morning to actually get on 1 that wasn't filled to capacity before it hit our place!!

The folks at Base Area Rapid Care at Mount Snow are good folks!! Both my daughter for a concussion and me for trying to slice a chunk of my middle finger off with a knife a few years ago, are patients of record there!

Hope some off the mega masses up here head home for New Year's Eve parties tomorrow!! [emoji6]

medfordmike

Pico as usual today. Busiest I have seen it in a while although crowds were generally well distributed once you got on the mountain aside from the usual places. They opened Little Pico early for the new snow. I would say parking was approaching third full a little after 8:30-8:45. By looking out from the lift around 10:30-11 cars were parked out to Route 4 in the little triangle shaped lot to the right of the main entrance. Lodge was crazy busy. No real line on the Little Pico Triple but the Golden Quad was about a 15 minute wait with lines beyond the ropes set up. Decent sized lines on summit Quad which is a first for this week. No lift holds when I was here probably helped to keep things moving. One misstep was that they were a little over zealous in predicting what would open today. When snow totals did not match expectations they did not quickly reduce their hoped for trail count. Not a big deal but a few folks on the lifts made note of it.

MommaBear

That's funny about the moovers...was wondering when I saw a crowd of people standing roadside waiting for one. Figured they must have been standing room only. My guy's passed out on the couch with an ice pack and sling - and will be calling in sick to work for some time. Kudos to your daughter for the quick bounce back and dedication! We will be back up on NY's Day (minus one guy ;) ) and hope the crowds decrease substantially!

prsboogie

I know this is crazy but WaWa with the boy (his request) for some daddy/son time!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

drjeff

Mount Snow - after not opening yesterday due to wind holds, the Northface has been a blast this morning thus far!! Lots of powder turns and not as wind scoured as I was expecting!!

KD7000

Was yesterday (Friday 12/30) the busiest day ever?

It seems like everyone in the Northeast had the same idea yesterday. Fresh snow, vacation, good temps. I decided to risk a trip to Sunapee yesterday with my daughter. Absolute madhouse, haven't stood in lines that long in years, it seems.

prsboogie

Surprisingly not that busy at WAWA today, typical conditions - groomer zoomers perfectly manicured!

Cornhead

Greek Peak, again, opened chair 5 today, some nice untouched day old, 5-6".
0ebdc02464bcef0a0fe625ae44726855.jpg

Sent from my R1 HD using AlpineZone mobile app

The Sneak

Berkshire East on 12/30 with my dad. Got him some experience 84s for his birthday and was psyched to get out there. We arrived at 9, to a surprisingly full lot. The inside lift ticket line stretched all the way back to the bathroom hallway, basically. Crazy!

I believe there was some sort of CT resident ticket deal, which would explain the tons of CT plates in the lot. When we left a little after 3 pm, there were cars parked wherever they could fit them, including the sides of the road.

The summit quad issues (absurd number of stops) were largely related to people being idiots with the gates and or the rolling surface. Also, the wind gusts were pretty serious at times. The chair seemed to stop at its highest point every ride up, right when the winds were blowing their hardest.

Comp was scraped off by mid day but the trail margins were still nice. They were doing race training on that one to the uphill right of the Wilderness peak quad, and that trail had amazing snow all day.

As noted, they also ran the backup summit triple and the snow under that chair was prob the worst. Thin cover on natural trails but the flatter /lower sections skied great.

I have never seen the lodge that crowded. Kinda annoyed little kids were in the bar area, so there was no room for grown ups to grab a beer.

A great day for BEast.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yeggous

Attitash today. It's a circus around the base and lodges, but lines aren't bad. Conditions are worse than expected at Bear Peak. The main Attitash side is skiing great.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Savemeasammy

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1483228529.628221.jpg
Here is one of the longer liftlines I witnessed today at Whaleback. For the most part only every fifth to tenth chair was full. The terrain was limited to the east side, but the snow is pretty damn good.