• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Loon Mountain 12/23/16

chuckstah

Conditions: variable with powder, pp, and hardpack

I went out this morning for what I thought would be a punch the clock groomer day, but it turned out much better. Arrived at S. Peak just before 9 to rock star, ski to car parking. Quick warm up run on Twitcher, nothing special but it had a good groom. Up and over to the N. Peak quad. To my surprise I found that patrol had just dropped the ropes on almost everything. The only ropes that I came across all day were Ripsaw at S peak where patrol was working, and a couple glades. I went straight toward Angel St. which was advertised as opening today, but never made it as I found Big Dipper and Triple Trouble open, all natural. Lapped each several times, great skiing with deep dense powder on a firm but edgable base. My best runs of the season. Then realizing that the glades were also open I headed for Walking Boss Woods. It was my run of the season so far with deep powder on a firm edgable base. You had to be careful as rocks and stumps were lurking, but well worth it. Didn't ski many of the groomers, just enough to get where I wanted to be. They skied OK, with PP or granular and some icy patches. When I ventured into the lower mountain glades I found deep, even denser snow with a slight crust. One and done as they needed a bit more traffic to disperse the crust. Although the parking lots looked quite full, never hit a line longer than 2 or 3 chairs, except both rides on the gondy had a few minute wait. This turned into a very unexpected great day. Had to leave by 2 to be home for family stuff.

chuckstah

Couple pics
d9ae93064194dc2b356ebbe96cd2c655.jpg
df3b2d9905ad08dce7de078c5e8910f5.jpg
795823932dbbbe85e6a58addf7ee3578.jpg
dcd50d15ba0adddbe4f92ba25a28ffab.jpg
7722ff1f546d7e92422f636a9f92d76b.jpg

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

4aprice

Thanks for the report and pictures. I'm one of the few of this board who actually likes Loon, always have. Looking forward to at least one Max pass weekend up there (probably early March), Maybe 2.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Cornhead

Thanks for the TR Chuck, looks good, love being pleasantly surprised like that. I was expecting a few inches atop groomed at Greek last Saturday, lol an behold good 12+" instead. Sometimes ur the windshield, sometimes ur the bug. Nice windshield day!

Sent from my XT1064 using AlpineZone mobile app

Savemeasammy

There is definitely some good stuff at Loon. I've yet to ski south peak, so I'd like to do that at some point. Looks like it was a great day.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

dlague

Thanks for the report and pictures. I'm one of the few of this board who actually likes Loon, always have. Looking forward to at least one Max pass weekend up there (probably early March), Maybe 2.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
I lived 40 minutes from there yet never skied Loon. Had a clue of friends that thought it was crowded and I was not up for that. I guess if you can get there mod wee it is probably pretty cool.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

4aprice

I lived 40 minutes from there yet never skied Loon. Had a clue of friends that thought it was crowded and I was not up for that. I guess if you can get there mod wee it is probably pretty cool.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

I've been there when it was crowded and I've been there when its not. While I appreciate that its not a difficult mountain in an overall sense, like its neighbor to the north, I've always found it to be a first class operation. From the infrastructure to operations, they seem to have their act together. The wife is very comfortable there and we even (god forbid) wait on the gondola line every once in while to get those nice t2b cruisers. Love the Paul Bunyon Room for apres ski. Looking forward to getting there later this season.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

deadheadskier

Staff member
Definitely a solid operation. Only complaints are the crowds and the Gondola. It's really inefficient for moving folks out of the base. A high speed six is needed

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

mlkrgr

Loon is too crowded for it's own good unless you visit nonholiday midweek. I kind of had the last straw with them when I went on New Years Day only to find 30+ minute lines at the gondola; 10-20 minute lines at the other lifts.

chuckstah

Loon is too crowded for it's own good unless you visit nonholiday midweek. I kind of had the last straw with them when I went on New Years Day only to find 30+ minute lines at the gondola; 10-20 minute lines at the other lifts.
I agree. 98% of the time I only go midweek. However, two seasons ago I went New Years Day and we had the place to ourselves from 8 to 11. Left when the crowd showed up. Never go near the gondola on weekend's.

Sent from my LGMS345 using AlpineZone mobile app

keyser soze

Loon is too crowded for it's own good unless you visit nonholiday midweek. I kind of had the last straw with them when I went on New Years Day only to find 30+ minute lines at the gondola; 10

Wow, even Hunter is not crowded on NYD. Everyone is sleeping off hangovers. I find NYD a great day to go.

xlr8r

I was there Friday too also using my Max Pass. I did not venture into the woods or onto Triple Trouble, as I did not realize those were open, darn. I stuck to groomers starting at South Peak for several morning runs on fresh cord, before moving onto the main mountain. Kanc quad area was decent in the morning, I found the groomers on North Peak to be mostly hardpack, so I did not stick around there long enough to see the natural runs that were open. In the afternoon the top to bottom runs off the gondola, (Picked Rock, Seven Brothers, Loon Mtn Park without a park yet) seemed to be in the best shape still. It seemed to be one of those early season days where the low angle of the sun kept almost everything in the shade. Would have been fantastic with everything softening up due to sun if it was Feb or Mar, but pretty nice for Dec. Left at about 2pm when my legs could not handle any more.

Pretty crowded for a weekday, as the gondola line was pretty long in the morning, by afternoon it was less than 5 min. I think loon's crowded reputation is now a bit overestimated since south peak has opened. The gondola line always sucks still, but the North Peak, Kanc, and Lincoln quads are usually reasonable even on weekends and deserted on weekdays. I remember pre south peak the lines being unbearable, but now Loon is manageable on weekends having skied about 10 days on weekends there now since south peak opened, just avoid using the gondola. Also you can avoid crowds by starting at south peak which never gets crowded until 11am and get a dozen runs in by then.

I don't know if there is a solution to the gondola as bear claw extension, exodus, and grand junction cannot take any more traffic as it is. Seven Brothers triple could be upgraded to a detach quad as the lower half of the mtn below grand junction can handle more traffic, but I don't think more capacity up to Loon Peak would help. Eventually South Peak is going to be developed more with a new beginner area and another base area that will probably become the main base. Also I think they have the option to cut another cruiser east of walking boss off of north peak. Hopefully when these expansions happen, traffic will spread out even more.