• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

WTF with all the back packs

Jcb890

I think it was Jay I was at last season and the season before when I saw they had signs to place backpacks on your lap while on the lifts.

TheArchitect

mccleaks

So given the recent threads about backpacks here and on other skiing forums I decided to see if there were other options for those of us who really want water while skiing. I found this under-the-jacket hydration pack which seems pretty slim.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083SO9WQ/ref=ox_sc_mini_detail?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ABP4V7978JK7H

I just ordered one and if it shows up in time I'll try it out this weekend. The other things I normally carry in my pack will go in pockets.

I used to have a camelback that was just the size of the bladder, no room for anything else. I would wear it under my jacket to keep from anything tangling and to keep the water from freezing. The downside is that your back will sweat like crazy with the added insulation of the thing.

mccleaks

On the topic of wearing a backpack though, I only do it when I want beers with me. Typically only 1 person in the group I'm skiing with will be the beer mule with the backpack and everyone else will throw a couple in their pockets. If I lose that battle and have to be the mule for the day I'll throw a hydration bladder in there too and maybe a snack that I likely wont eat. I'll also be handing out beers to complete strangers to lighten the load as quickly as possible. I dont mind skiing with it at all, but the added step of un-clipping the waist belt and swinging into my lap on the chair is a pain in the ass. On a weekend when its in your lap and not on an empty seat next to you on the chair its even more of a pain in the ass.
Gonna have to look into Tin's suggestion of just hiding beers all over the mountain.

tumbler

Just make sure you throw out your empties. Sick of seeing cans and bottles strewn under the liftline.

mccleaks

Just make sure you throw out your empties. Sick of seeing cans and bottles strewn under the liftline.

Always throw the empties out. I cant stand seeing them under the lift on the way up. A lot of mountains seem to be getting better in recent years about having a trash can when you get off the lift. Otherwise I crush the empties and throw them back in the pack or in a pocket.

jimmck

Anyone see/hear any ski areas instituting new policies for packs on lifts? On Sunday Sugarbush was asking people to sit with their bags in their laps and specifically mentioned it was as a result of the incident at A-Basin (although this message didn't seem to be consistent from all lifties...but that could just be some staff being lazy or not caring). I'll have to admit, riding the lift with my pack in my lap was refreshingly comfortable.
Wachusett has now implemented a policy of not allowing backpacks on their lifts, asking those that ride the lifts to place packs on their laps when loading.

I've seen mostly hydration backpacks there. FWIW, I've even seen patrollers taking off their backpacks and riding the lifts with said backpack on their lap.

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com
I saw a no pissing sign behind patrol shacks too

double-finger.gif

2Planker

[/QUOTE] "I've even seen patrollers taking off their backpacks and riding the lifts with said backpack on their lap.[/QUOTE]

That's just NOT possible if/when you're carrying other essential patrol gear, such as Toboggans, Bamboo, ropes, signage, O2, ect.....

If I'm outside (7am-5pm) the pack is on. There is no "personal gear" in it.

abc

While I don't carry backpack in the northeast, I do when I ski out west. Actually, just a hydration pack. But it has extra storage section which I put extra gloves and stuff like that in.

I never had problem with riding chairs. It isn't big enough to change how I sit on the chair. And there's no loose straps to catch on the chair. (I mean, the straps are there to keep the pack to the body, so strap them!)

Morwax

Everyone please check the forums before wearing just anything.. There have been a set of unwritten rules stored in some little minds about how you should dress, act and move about the hill.. There will be another unwritten list of words and names for anyone breaking this unwritten set of rules. You will only get the words when you have achieved a certain level of expertise in the eyes of the shallow list keepers. If only I knew in 1972 about bear trap binding being ghey..My dad said they were cool because my skis wouldn't fall off.