• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pre-MLK weekend weather tracking

Tin

Ummmmmm!

07770b087c0db019f6609b96de090790.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

You moved out west and got into cross-country? :p

cdskier

I'm probably the last person who will ever stand up for K but this year they have had a massive shortage of employees and are seriously understaffed. It was all recently discussed on KZ, they are advertising in Albany and Burlington to try to find potential employees. Early in the year they couldn't find enough snow-makers, then there were issues with ticket window staffing over the holidays. Hell, upper management was helping load/unload K1 over Christmas/New Year's! Shops and restaurants all over the access road are having the same problems with finding new employees.

Any idea why? Sugarbush still has open lift ops positions and was way short at one point as well...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

machski

Skied SR today. Not good. Only 2-3 lower lifts spinning. A lot of people we already walking back to their cars and leaving when we got there at 10AM. Very little open and what was was icy. Wildfire was about the only run that you could ski that had some carvable snow on it. I lapped it 5 times just because there wasn't much else worth skiing. Hope the groomers can do something with this.
They actually warned about that last night on the mountain report (many areas closed at least to start). I was impressed they were brutally honest. Plus, they know they have a holiday weekend on the tails of a thaw to hard freeze. To have anything to work with for tomorrow, this was the smart play. And they did advertise this (they even advised having a few extra cups of coffee before heading out late morning).

Kleetus

Cannon at 3700'

[FONT=&quot]
Tonight​
Mostly clear, with a low around -12. Wind chill values as low as -36. Windy, with a northwest wind 25 to 35 mph.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]
Saturday​
Sunny, with a high near 13. Wind chill values as low as -37. Blustery, with a west wind 15 to 20 mph.
[/FONT]

Looking like a good weekend for a beer run...meaning one run straight to the bar for beer.

Kleetus

May have to start with a 2fer

Just don't get caught by Patrol for...well you know what I mean...

Missed making some turns with you a couple weeks ago at Killington with Drewster, FSummer, and Puck It. Was a good time and sorry to hear you were feeling under the weather

JDMRoma

Just don't get caught by Patrol for...well you know what I mean...

Missed making some turns with you a couple weeks ago at Killington with Drewster, FSummer, and Puck It. Was a good time and sorry to hear you were feeling under the weather

Haha yes always a good time with that crew ! Catch you next time. Love the fiddlehead pod At K !!

dlague

You moved out west and got into cross-country? :p
Yes and it is a blast! Actually that is the entrance to a glade that drops right after that at A Basin. Once in the trees camera stays in the pocket. If anyone had thoughts for skiing Colorado now is the time with prime conditions.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

yeggous

Shawnee Peak (Maine) was a mixed bag tonight. Top 1/3 was not great, some trails patrol just closed. Both 2/3... was 1/3 scary and 2/3 okay. There was lots of shiny corduroy. But where they groomed twice tonight was nice but cold. The wind convinced me to bag it after 6 runs. I expected worse but hoped for better.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

Mount Snow was a mix of nice, soft fresh manmade where the guns were running, some decent machined groomed packed powder where they made snow yesterday and groomed it overnight, and some "chatter-roy" where it's just been groomer only since the freeze up.

Crowds weren't too bad until 10AM when the masses hit in full effect - overall not too bad

Now it's time to check the crowds in the bar and make sure the thaw didn't effect tap lines!![emoji481]

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

gladerider

whiteface was not too bad today. there some trails where the surfaces were so icy i thought they shouldn't have opened but some trails were surprisingly very good. mt. ops did a great job.
the crowd was definitely thinner than last year.

overall, my group had a lotta fun. kudos to mt ops.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

machski

Sunday River still very icy. Found some stuff to ski but not much. Hardpark & ice. Busy, but mostly in lodge.
They had an issue early am that took down the air for snowmaking. It's fixed, system was cranking up again by 130pm. Should have some more variety tomorrow with fresh machine snow.