• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pre-MLK weekend weather tracking

gladerider

This Wednesday to Thursday storm looks bad. Looks like another boilerplate condition.

I will be in Lake Placid but Vermont looks even worse.

For the weatherheads, when is the next Euro or NAM run?

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

KustyTheKlown

yea i booked ugarloaf this weekend, knowing i have a half day friday and monday off. while maine seems to be relatively better off, stll a long drive for ice cancelling maine. going to creek today for some laps, will do the same friday afternoon. saturday off. booked free cancellation rutland hotel for sunday, may pico if they somehow dodge a bullet

KustyTheKlown

yea i booked ugarloaf this weekend, knowing i have a half day friday and monday off. while maine seems to be relatively better off, stll a long drive for ice. cancelling maine. going to creek today for some laps, will do the same friday afternoon. saturday off. booked free cancellation rutland hotel for sunday, may pico if they somehow dodge a bullet

gladerider

just read the single chair weather blog. not optimistic.

bdfreetuna

Lookin' firm and fast for this weekend. Thinking the rain won't be too bad / very much but a couple warm days followed by a temperature drop Friday is gonna make ungroomed/natural terrain kinda rough on the feet.

machski

Being a long holiday weekend I am optimistic Sunday River will be full on resurfacing. I have no problem skiing under the guns. And luckily I'll get tomorrow and Wednesday in before anything goes south.

BenedictGomez

I was really looking forward to a 3-day ski weekend and I keep running the weather models hoping for a change, but it's not looking great. Just ran the GFS and the Canuck and both show a bit of rain Wednesday, but then rain Thursday night into Friday morning, followed by thermodynamics panels that hit single digits Friday night into Saturday morning. Sure hope this changes. :(

BenedictGomez

I will be in Lake Placid but Vermont looks even worse.

That was my plan too, but I may cancel given the weather and no Lookout on a holiday weekend. Either that or maybe we'll go anyway and cross country ski or snowshoe Saturday and ski Sunday hoping the extra day will help out the grooming situation. Dunno. If you've never been to the FIS Aerials you should check that out on Saturday night at the jumping venue.

KustyTheKlown

plattekill and the cats in general looking ok for the weekend. only question is how much base do they lose beforehand.

VTKilarney

Is there any chance that the natural snow trails will survive for the weekend? It's not looking likely to me.

cdskier

Is there any chance that the natural snow trails will survive for the weekend? It's not looking likely to me.

Depends on your definition of "survive". Upper elevation trails will be solid, but may not lose too much base at places further north that have good depth right now. If they are open after they refreeze, they certainly won't be worth skiing though until some decent snow falls.

gladerider

That was my plan too, but I may cancel given the weather and no Lookout on a holiday weekend. Either that or maybe we'll go anyway and cross country ski or snowshoe Saturday and ski Sunday hoping the extra day will help out the grooming situation. Dunno. If you've never been to the FIS Aerials you should check that out on Saturday night at the jumping venue.
i am committed with prepaid tix, kids ski school and lodging so i am going. i will update this thread after my day saturday

Glenn

Blacked out for the holiday weekend. Maybe not such a bad thing given the conditions and inevitable crowds.

Smellytele

Going somewhere in VT Friday see conflicting on when it stops - some say early, some say nothing on Friday some say stopping later on Friday while others say snow showers in the afternoon and nothing else. The rest of the weekend I'll play by ear and eye.