• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Pre-MLK weekend weather tracking

Jully

Sucks for the resorts! I doubt many people in the flatlands will be itching to ski MLK weekend when it was raining and 50 during the week!

Whitey

This is the story of my ski life. I have the WORST luck with stuff like this. Going to Sunday River for Fri-Sat-Sun. Deposit on hotel room already paid. I am always showing up "just after the rain screwed things up". Pulled the trigger on SR after they got 2' two weeks ago. Thought "well, as long as we don't get any major thaws/rain storms it should still be good".

Good thing I am a born and raised Northeast skier and am used to sh1t like this. My February trip to CO can't come soon enough.

BenedictGomez

^ That's why I always make my ski plans somewhat last minute'ish. Even when I went out west last year the trip was only made about 2 weeks out and I knew the pattern. Thinking about taking an Easter trip this year too, but dont know if it will be Lake Tahoe, Banff, Utah again, somewhere in Colorado, etc.... and probably wont make a decision until early April once I know current conditions + forward weather pattern.

snoseek

^ That's why I always make my ski plans somewhat last minute'ish. Even when I went out west last year the trip was only made about 2 weeks out and I knew the pattern. Thinking about taking an Easter trip this year too, but dont know if it will be Lake Tahoe, Banff, Utah again, somewhere in Colorado, etc.... and probably wont make a decision until early April once I know current conditions + forward weather pattern.

This is what I'm constantly telling people. That little bit you save by booking stuff in advance isn't worth the gamble....anywhere. A plane ticket is really all you spend more on. Sites like hotwire will keep things fairly cheap last minute

dlague

Easter will probably be closing weekend for much of Colorado!

cdskier

Sucks for the resorts! I doubt many people in the flatlands will be itching to ski MLK weekend when it was raining and 50 during the week!

On the bright side for people that do go it could be not too crowded this weekend. I would expect very aggressive grooming plans Friday night to try to make things somewhat skiable. Sugarbush in their afternoon snow report is still holding out hope for a couple inches of some backside snow to help things out. They don't plan on doing any grooming tonight until around 3am to give things a chance to set up.

BenedictGomez

That little bit you save by booking stuff in advance isn't worth the gamble....anywhere. A plane ticket is really all you spend more on.

Exactly. And I have several hundred thousand miles still from when I worked in banking. True though that my gf's ticket to SLC cost probably $300 more than it could have, but that $300 is money well spent on knowing 100% that your "ski trip" (i.e. the entire point of going) will have good conditions. Like the day I hit Park City/Canyons with 15" I think it was of overnight snowfall!

Easter will probably be closing weekend for much of Colorado!

Probably for much of everywhere, especially given it falls 3 weeks later than last year. I'm guessing someplace far north like Banff might be the best bet this year for Easter.

Whitey

Kids. You're a victim of their holiday/school schedule. Mine have an unusual town school schedule where they get the Friday before MLK and the Monday. Hence the Fri-Sat-Sun trip.

Would love to be flexible and go when & where I want. But the two teens make that difficult now.

My advice is just get a vasectomy at about age 15 and then cruise through the rest of your life with no worries.

machski

This is the story of my ski life. I have the WORST luck with stuff like this. Going to Sunday River for Fri-Sat-Sun. Deposit on hotel room already paid. I am always showing up "just after the rain screwed things up". Pulled the trigger on SR after they got 2' two weeks ago. Thought "well, as long as we don't get any major thaws/rain storms it should still be good".

Good thing I am a born and raised Northeast skier and am used to sh1t like this. My February trip to CO can't come soon enough.
You'll be fine. Plenty of new snow will be blown and trail edges will be fun. Sunday River is best in biz to recover quickly and the good natural base will help this year.

drjeff

This weekend is easy....

#1 wear your goggles because there's going to be a bunch of snowmaking going on

#2 If it's not groomed or atleast not groomed and NOT had fresh snow made on it, you really don't want to think about it

#3 The woods won't be in play for any sane person, even if there looks like there's plenty of snow in them

#4 If where you're skiing isn't known for their snowmaking firepower, chances are you won't have many choices for ways down

#5 Any day on the hill is way better than a day not on the hill in my book ;-)

dlague

Exactly. And I have several hundred thousand miles still from when I worked in banking. True though that my gf's ticket to SLC cost probably $300 more than it could have, but that $300 is money well spent on knowing 100% that your "ski trip" (i.e. the entire point of going) will have good conditions. Like the day I hit Park City/Canyons with 15" I think it was of overnight snowfall!

Probably for much of everywhere, especially given it falls 3 weeks later than last year. I'm guessing someplace far north like Banff might be the best bet this year for Easter.
A Basin and Loveland will be open for sure. I would imagine that particular weekend most will still be open but closing right after that.

That blew me away when we moved here in early April and a week later only A Basin and LL were open with a bottle load of snow in the mountains.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Guyot

I hoping for at least decent for Sunday VT

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

slatham

Fantastic day to be out today. Rain held off at Magic, warm spring skiing!

Good to hear Tin. Is the natural snow holding up? I hope they keep a base so when this pattern turns they only need one moderate snow to get some good stuff open.

drjeff

Good to hear Tin. Is the natural snow holding up? I hope they keep a base so when this pattern turns they only need one moderate snow to get some good stuff open.
I can give a bit of post freeze up Magic Intel later on Sunday as I'll be there watching my son (and about 120 other 10 to 12 yr olds) racing on Showoff

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Tin

Oh yes. Solid on the lower 2/3s +, more inversion up top.

yeggous

This weekend is easy....

#1 wear your goggles because there's going to be a bunch of snowmaking going on

#2 If it's not groomed or atleast not groomed and NOT had fresh snow made on it, you really don't want to think about it

#3 The woods won't be in play for any sane person, even if there looks like there's plenty of snow in them

#4 If where you're skiing isn't known for their snowmaking firepower, chances are you won't have many choices for ways down

#5 Any day on the hill is way better than a day not on the hill in my book ;-)

Where will this snowmaking be? I don't expect to see them at Peak Resorts in the MWV.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
Where will this snowmaking be? I don't expect to see them at Peak Resorts in the MWV.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

At Cat on Tuesday I was thinking the smart move would be to leave the fresh snowmaking piles on Lynx and Bobcat until end of day tomorrow and then groom them out for Saturday to at least have a couple of decent trails for holiday visitors. I tend to agree with your thoughts though. Looking at next week being equally as ugly weather wise, they may not bother with any holiday weekend refreshes.

I think snowmaking ops are probably near done up there. Tims and Avenger are still left to do at Attitash. Base building on Lynx for Spring and a final Catapult and Polecat refresh, then hope Mother Nature helps with the rest.

I'll be watching to see what Crotched does tomorrow to see if it's worth it to head over there for Saturday morning. If they refresh a couple of trails it might be okay for a few hours in the morning. If not, I'll just sit out the holiday weekend.

bdfreetuna

There's a good chance to catch a sunny, mid-30's day next mid-week if the weekend doesn't look enticing.

I was kicking myself all day for not taking the chance to head up to Mount Snow yesterday(wednesday).