• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Sugarbush death today

crank

To quote an instructor who posts on some other boards: "It's not that you can's ski bumps. It's that you can't ski and bumps prove it."

Cornhead

Two years ago I was skiing a bump run at Abasin, I thought to myself, this is one nice thing about Western skiing, no icy troughs in the bumps. Then it dawned on me, there were no icy troughs back home either, it was the year of the polar vortices, once it got cold, it stayed cold, none of the usual thaw/ freeze cycles.

Sent from my R1 HD using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

Two years ago I was skiing a bump run at Abasin, I thought to myself, this is one nice thing about Western skiing, no icy troughs in the bumps. Then it dawned on me, there were no icy troughs back home either, it was the year of the polar vortices, once it got cold, it stayed cold, none of the usual thaw/ freeze cycles.

Sent from my R1 HD using AlpineZone mobile app

That was an amazing year. That was the year that I realized that ice does not have to live underneath all snow! I'm used to hitting ice in troughs after the first few hours of a powder day, never mind a week later!

VTKilarney

Here is the simple reality. If ski areas in the east stopped grooming, a tremendous amount of ski areas would go out of business. I can't fault a ski area for doing something that ultimately keeps the lifts running.

WWF-VT

Can we change the title of this thread or close it ? There was a tragic death at Mt Ellen two days ago and this thread has now gone down the path of helmets, grooming, moguls, ski resort finances and other rehashed topics that are well beyond extending condolences to the family and friends of the man who lost his life engaged in a sport that we are all passionate about.

JimG.

Staff member

tumbler

Can we change the title of this thread or close it ? There was a tragic death at Mt Ellen two days ago and this thread has now gone down the path of helmets, grooming, moguls, ski resort finances and other rehashed topics that are well beyond extending condolences to the family and friends of the man who lost his life engaged in a sport that we are all passionate about.

agreed.

dlague

That is a good point!

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Whitey

Disagree.

There is nothing that anyone can do to change what happened or bring the guy back. It's tremendously sad what happened. However, what you can do is try to learn something from the tragedy and maybe prevent it from happening again in the future. I think the discussion about helmets, whether over-grooming is resulting in icy raceways, etc., are interesting & informative and has caused me to think about some aspects of skiing and mtn ops mgmt differently. Maybe it will change nothing, but maybe someone reading these post will adjust their skiing, maybe the thoughts will somehow filter to someone in mountain ops who may adjust how they do things. A long shot at best, I know. But one thing we know for sure - just saying "so sad, my condolences to the family" and nothing else absolutely won't change anything or do anything to prevent the next one.

tumbler

Then change the title or something. We don't need to be constantly reminded that someone died, we know. It's like in hockey you don't say "shut out" until the game is over.

Glenn

Sadly, this is the person I thought it was. We went to school together for years, 1st grade through high school. He and I were on the ski team in high school. He was really good skier; started young, grew up skiing at Mount Snow and raced there for years. I feel terrible for the family. What a loss.

MommaBear

Sorry to hear that Glen. My thoughts and prayers are with you and his family.

BenedictGomez

Wow, really sorry to hear that. The fact we now have 1st-hand information that he was a "really good skier" makes it seem even more likely that the thaw-freeze conditions were likely at cause. I hate that set-up, when I was young it didnt bother me in the least, but now that I'm older I just skip those weekends as I'm legitimately fearful of them. :(

Zermatt

Then change the title or something. We don't need to be constantly reminded that someone died, we know. It's like in hockey you don't say "shut out" until the game is over.

Seriously. Can someone also please start a thread whenever someone dies driving to a ski area. I want to hear about every person that dies that has anything to do with skiing.

Please post all injuries too. Broken bones, torn ligaments. Post everything that is bad.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Hawkshot99

Seriously. Can someone also please start a thread whenever someone dies driving to a ski area. I want to hear about every person that dies that has anything to do with skiing.

Please post all injuries too. Broken bones, torn ligaments. Post everything that is bad.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
I farted real bad today while skiing. Sounded wet. Those boxers might be lost for good......

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app