• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skier Death at Breckenridge

benski

Is 15 miles an hour the maximum speed you can bang your head and avoid a head injury? There has to be a range were the injury is less severe than one without a helmet.

Hawkshot99

The angle of impact plays a massive factor. A glancing blow will still cause harm, but not like hitting a wall. It's not really possible to put a definitive mph on a safe crash because of all the factors.
I have crashed many times at over 50mph. But I slid along not hitting my head. Does that mean the helmet is safe to 50+?

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

SIKSKIER

The angle of impact plays a massive factor. A glancing blow will still cause harm, but not like hitting a wall.
Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app

This and I was thinking that besides the cushioning of blows to head,I think helmets will also deflect more impact on non direct hits than without one because of the slippery nature of the plastic vs a hat.I think that this is where they really shine.