• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Good New England Bump Runs

cdskier

Upper birdland at sugarbush this weekend had some of the best lines I have seen all year. I wish they would leave it bumped up all season, the pitch is, in my opinion, perfect for a mogul run. Lower organgrinder was also pretty good, much better than anything I found at Mt Ellen or castlerock.

Very true! Murphy's was bumped up on Friday and nice as well before being groomed for the weekend. Back in December (before they made any snow on Birdland and Murphys) they had left them both ungroomed on all natural snow and the bumps were so much fun.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I mentioned Grand Stand at Attitash earlier in the thread. It's prime right now. Too bad they close 4/2

61b54254766a88cfd02391395e3f3fce.jpg

Lower Ptarmigan is really good too

c820f8f3896fe9ea6fa6dfca44024de9.jpg

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

Plan on going there on 4/2. Know if they keep the bumps through closing day? I would love to hit those...

snoseek

They need to stop grooming Tims and Idiots. Attitash could be a bumpers paradise....

deadheadskier

Staff member
Plan on going there on 4/2. Know if they keep the bumps through closing day? I would love to hit those...
They should be. Though they have groomed Grand Stand this year during freeze / thaw cycles.
Closing 4/2 ? Wow is that every year? Seems early for NH.

My understanding is Attitash has always closed pretty early. I'm not a regular though. This is my third season with a pass in the MWV and I spend 90% of my time at Wildcat. I wouldn't mind one more week at Attitash, so 4/9, but it probably makes business sense to start sending people up to Wildcat early. Wildcat making it to at least 4/30 is more important to me than Attitash going beyond 4/2.
They need to stop grooming Tims and Idiots. Attitash could be a bumpers paradise....
Just give expert skiers one ungroomed option off the top on Attitash side. It's some of the steepest terrain in New England and it's a shame they don't take advantage of it properly. I'd prefer Tim's, but would be happy with any of Idiots, Tightrope or Upper Ptarmigan as well.

yeggous

They should be. Though they have groomed Grand Stand this year during freeze / thaw cycles.

My understanding is Attitash has always closed pretty early. I'm not a regular though. This is my third season with a pass in the MWV and I spend 90% of my time at Wildcat. I wouldn't mind one more week at Attitash, so 4/9, but it probably makes business sense to start sending people up to Wildcat early. Wildcat making it to at least 4/30 is more important to me than Attitash going beyond 4/2.

Just give expert skiers one ungroomed option off the top on Attitash side. It's some of the steepest terrain in New England and it's a shame they don't take advantage of it properly. I'd prefer Tim's, but would be happy with any of Idiots, Tightrope or Upper Ptarmigan as well.

Yes, the ability to open late and close early at Attitash was a primary motivation for Peak Resorts to buy Wildcat. They can operate with more favorable weather and less overhead at the Cat. Since it is largely passholders in the tail season the economics favor this approach.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

kingslug

Killington has some cool natural bump runs. Escapade, old superstar where very bumped up. K always has some of the best mogul runs, and since it has so much terrain you get a good variety. Stowe also had some good ones. The front 4 are always bumped up. Goat is a favorite.

machski

Killington has some cool natural bump runs. Escapade, old superstar where very bumped up. K always has some of the best mogul runs, and since it has so much terrain you get a good variety. Stowe also had some good ones. The front 4 are always bumped up. Goat is a favorite.
The Front Four are always bumped up? Been a while since I've been, Starr and Goat always but liftline and national get groomed. Liftline more often than national. Have they changed that?

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

kingslug

They groom liftline once in a while to preserve it. Alwzys bumped up on the right though. Starr and national they leave alone. Chinclip is also a monster bump run.

KevinF

Yeah, Stowe's Liftline has nice bumps down the 13 pitch (the final steep part). Skiers right side of the trail is rarely groomed, so it gets moguls of varying quality. The 13 pitch section is usually the best part. Far skiers left is rarely groomed out as well.

National is getting moguls, with the most consistent lines being on skier's left, especially below Liftline. The trail is so wide that it takes a long time to get good bumps the whole way across. National gets groomed out (at least below Liftline) maybe once a year.

Hayride below Centerline is all natural snow right now and has really nice bump lines on it. Centerline is groomed out maybe once a month.

Starr and Goat are full-on bump fests, although the last time I was up (the 22nd) Goat was getting a little thin, especially the lower part (i.e., below Midway). Chin Clilp was skiing really nicely as well. I don't know what the deep freeze coupled with the mixed precip right before XMAS is going to do it... Probably be a little *ahem* "firm" for a while.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Upper National is always such a mess. It's rarely ever good and mainly only used for the lower entrance into Starr. Stowe should really try and rope/fence off two thirds of skiers right of Upper National and plant a bunch of trees. The remaining section of trail shouldn't see snowmaking and just be left a 20ish foot wide natural bump run that never gets groomed.

kingslug

And upper liftline can be downright freaky. I doubt I'll ever go down that thing. Truly a no fall zone. Although would be a spectacular show fore those on the lift.

JimG.

Staff member
And upper liftline can be downright freaky. I doubt I'll ever go down that thing. Truly a no fall zone. Although would be a spectacular show fore those on the lift.

Liftline extension is not that difficult, just needs the right amount of snow to ski it
fluidly.

BenedictGomez

I only ski it after a big storm. You put a lot of snow on it, and it's quite fun. Still somewhat technical I guess, but it's manageable with snow. It's the most difficult trail in NY/VT that I'm aware of.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I only ski it after a big storm. You put a lot of snow on it, and it's quite fun. Still somewhat technical I guess, but it's manageable with snow. It's the most difficult trail in NY/VT that I'm aware of.

Upper Liftline at Stowe?

I'm with Jim. It mellows considerably with enough snow where the final drop leading back to Lift Line proper is barely a drop at all. The only thing freaky about skiing that run is the lift is very close over head. I doubt you'd ever hit a chair without catching some serious air, but it does seem very close.