• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Good New England Bump Runs

cdskier

Every time I was on FIS it was not bumped. You are talking ME side right? Then again I only skied Sugarbush during Ride and Ski weekend late season when ME was closed. I only listed the trails that I remembered. I skied Steins on May 1st on a free day and the bumps were beautiful large corn snow bumps.

Sugarbush used to groom FIS much more often. The past several years they rarely ever groom it. 2 or 3 years ago I think the only time they groomed it was right before the final weekend of the season! This year I can't recall seeing it on the grooming list once yet.

Stein's mid-season sees the groomer every couple weeks or so it seems. In the spring it can be a lot of fun if it warms up enough. Sometimes it takes that trail a while to soften up. Back to your original list, Ripcord is groomed pretty regularly most of the time (usually at least twice a week). In the spring they sometimes leave it alone more and let it bump up. Organgrinder they do usually let bump up a bit (years ago it seemed this practice was reversed where OG would see the groomer often and Ripcord would be left alone more).

skiMEbike

Sugarloaf has got to be one of the better bump Mtns with dedicated (for the most part) bump trails with a decent pitch in (listed in order of preference): Bubblecuffer, Winters Way, Misery Whip, Rip Saw, Skidder, Double Bitter.

Some other favorites from places I frequent....
Sunday River: Ruby Palace, & Caramba
Stowe: Starr, Goat, Chin Clip

SkiFanE

My favorite topic! Spend all my time at Sunday River. Besides the obvious and popular - agony (ickiest bumps), caramba, ruby palace - the Locke Mt natural trails are awesome - upper cut, Locke line, tightwire, crossbow. Looks like all of upper spruce will be bumpy this winter :). There are some trails that can be great if not groomed: top gun (amazing 2-3weeks ago, flattened since), shockwave. Oh, one of my faves for lapping end of day hero bumps - 3D to Absolutely.

And all of MRG :)

BenedictGomez

Love Chin clip - not you normal straight wide bump run. it is a classic NE trail twisty with bumps and no way to escape.

That description reminded me of Lower Antelope at Mad River Glen. Also a great trail. Never-ending moguls and no escape.

Cornhead

speak about yourself in third person = weird
fc62e9792a0aaade072ce3c7dd621865.jpg

Jimmy likes bumps!

Sent from my R1 HD using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited:

Jully

Sugarloaf has got to be one of the better bump Mtns with dedicated (for the most part) bump trails with a decent pitch in (listed in order of preference): Bubblecuffer, Winters Way, Misery Whip, Rip Saw, Skidder, Double Bitter.

Some other favorites from places I frequent....
Sunday River: Ruby Palace, & Caramba
Stowe: Starr, Goat, Chin Clip

Agreed. When Ripsaw is good, it might be my favorite. Awesome character and always empty.

RIP Saddleback with Muleskinner.

Downdraft at SR too is nice, especially in the spring.

Jully

I feel like a lot of those runs are groomed a lot in winter.

There's very few runs, save natural trails, that NEVER see a groomer. Depending on the winter it can seem like a lot (last winter seemed like everything was groomed all the time)!

Some mountains seem to rotate trails that are groomed and bumped a lot like SB with FIS and K too. SL alternates between grooming and not grooming Skidder regularly. Most of my days at SL last year it seemed had a bump-less Skidder. Anyone have other mountains that do this frequently (versus Pats that always has Hurricane ungroomed).

I almost prefer a mountain to rotate because then, as long as there are SOME runs available, you get some variety in during the season. Of course, if a mountain just has no ungroomed available sometimes then its a problem though...

dlague

Ripsaw is cool because if the drop about midway down. Skidder looks good but whenever I have been at SL there was a Mogul Comp happening on Skidder.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

Ripsaw is cool because if the drop about midway down. Skidder looks good but whenever I have been at SL there was a Mogul Comp happening on Skidder.

Its pretty standard IMO. Steepish and down the fall line, but there are better trails at SL! The bumps are usually great (assuming they're not icy death) because of the comps though.

moresnow

Jay Peak pomo line.. blue square narrow bump run
Powerline at Killington is similar
Poma line is a blue? Off the top of my head I would have said black, but I'm too lazy to actually check.

Either way, it's fun when the snow is good.

kingslug

Every time I was on FIS it was not bumped. You are talking ME side right? Then again I only skied Sugarbush during Ride and Ski weekend late season when ME was closed. I only listed the trails that I remembered. I skied Steins on May 1st on a free day and the bumps were beautiful large corn snow bumps.

hopped on FIS last year..big mistake..solid ice and rocks..with some bumps thrown in to make it interesting..that and watching people yard sale past me...