• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So I have a business thing in Grand Junction CO in late March..

snoseek

Ive experienced some pretty awful conditions in the west. Most notably the 09-10 season in Colorado and the 14-15 season in Tahoe along with the usual off weeks or even months that come between. It happens....ice, golf ball, WROD and melt refreeze. It just happens much less than say NH and often not quite as extreme on the ice/rocks/ect.....

Spring out there is usually soft snow and sun or its dumping. If for some reason it comes in cold and dry after a warm period....and sometimes it does in April, it can get downright icy. You really have to follow either the sun and warmth by perhaps skiing the low areas or go looking for chalky snow up high. As long as you keep things flexible then its usually all good

Dlauge I had a season like your having in 07-08 and god was it good. I didn't work till mid may and got 130+ days in. That was easily the highlight of my skiing years so far.

bdfreetuna

Ahem... this is a developing and fluid situation... my father asked me today "So what are we going to do about Colorado?"

"You mean skiing?"

"Yeah.. I looked at Telluride I just don't want to break my neck, we need to research it better and what are the other options?"

"I did research it, Telluride has plenty of groomers and stuff for everyone, terrain you can ski off all the lifts... it's huge... gotta do 2 days."

So now I am in all-on convincing-my-father mode and formation. Basically my core argument now is that if his legs give out he doesn't have to ski 2 days.. BUT I CAN while he checks out the town.

bdfreetuna

Looks like it's on for 2 days...

Follow-up question: Any way to get tickets cheaper than $237 online price through Telluride? $258 is the walk up rate. Insanity. I see they are not on Liftopia.

snoseek

Yeah they don't play around at tride.

There used to be a deal where you could stay down in ridgeway and get half off with your room but Im not sure if that's still possible

dlague

Follow-up question: Any way to get tickets cheaper than $237 online price through Telluride? $258 is the walk up rate. Insanity. I see they are not on Liftopia.
Not that this is huge deal but I see the online price of $219 - still not cheap. But they seem to stick to there guns.

Interestingly enough you could ski Powderhorn and Sunlight for about $100 for 2 days on liftopia. Alternatively, order 1 Gems Card $25 and ski two days at those two places for two days for $67 each (2 for 1).

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

The price isn't going to be a deal-breaker, just looking to save some $ if it's possible.

This is going to mess up my under $40 per ski day average.

dlague

Also looked at Telluride. If you take out hike to terrain. Then it appears as though there isn't much terrain that is super difficult. Even the back bowls have a single lift.

snoseek

Also looked at Telluride. If you take out hike to terrain. Then it appears as though there isn't much terrain that is super difficult. Even the back bowls have a single lift.

Idk there's some really steep stuff down there. There's also ample cruising terrain for all.

dlague

I've heard the front face at T-Ride is similar to the 1A side of Ajax, and those are some bad ass trails.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

All hike to though! I struggle with the whole hike to terrain. It's tough breathing at over 12,000 ft at A basin doing relatively short walks to get to Montezuma's walls or even to the Montezuma side. Even Outback at Keystone is manageable but the higher and steeper well wish I visited it 20 years ago.

The point I was making is - there are plenty of easier black trails as well and a lot of blue and green.

snoseek

All hike to though! I struggle with the whole hike to terrain. It's tough breathing at over 12,000 ft at A basin doing relatively short walks to get to Montezuma's walls or even to the Montezuma side. Even Outback at Keystone is manageable but the higher and steeper well wish I visited it 20 years ago.

The point I was making is - there are plenty of easier black trails as well and a lot of blue and green.

All hike to?
The stuff off gold hill and the town side is steep as hell with no hiking. The hike stuff is steeper even but there's a ton of steep stuff right off the chairs

Jcb890

Ahem... this is a developing and fluid situation... my father asked me today "So what are we going to do about Colorado?"

"You mean skiing?"

"Yeah.. I looked at Telluride I just don't want to break my neck, we need to research it better and what are the other options?"

"I did research it, Telluride has plenty of groomers and stuff for everyone, terrain you can ski off all the lifts... it's huge... gotta do 2 days."

So now I am in all-on convincing-my-father mode and formation. Basically my core argument now is that if his legs give out he doesn't have to ski 2 days.. BUT I CAN while he checks out the town.

Hell yeah!

dlague

03c8ef7c54afdcc663bd32dba3abe236.jpg