• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

I Hate Road Closures to Our Ski Areas for Avi Work.....

4aprice

Some friends got evacuated out of employee housing at Kirkwood and put into condos in a safer spot.....

What am I fucking doing with my life

Actually I like your western slope plan better. You'd have a lot more skiing as I heard, it's been hard to access the skiing with the snow/wind combo in the Sierra. Late season (like spring into summer) should be off the wall.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

snoseek

Actually I like your western slope plan better. You'd have a lot more skiing as I heard, it's been hard to access the skiing with the snow/wind combo in the Sierra. Late season (like spring into summer) should be off the wall.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Yeah that's a definite problem with the Sierra. All their snow comes in one whack and often shuts stuff down. Upon reopen all of Norcal shows up for line up and its really a shitshow.

Even though the overall amounts are lower I like the smaller more consistent dumps in Colorado. You only ski on the top foot anyhow. Even 5 or six inches on a soft base is dreamy.

As far as the western slope...yeah I just Cant do the drive up 70 on a regular basis. I like the idea of a smaller low key local hill with the bigger less crowded resorts closeby and Utah fairly close for a couple days. Also if the snow isn't happening that means the trails are prime for mtb....which they are most of the year anyhow. I'll be fairly busy with life the first year or two anyhow so ski bumming will likely be on hold as I get my shit together.

snoseek

Running from the snow. You are heading west again next year so we should have a good snow year then.

Hey I don't know about you but I'm far from ruling this year out. Actually overall it hasn't been all that bad. We've been skiing trees for over a month now which is bonus. Last year was solid overall in Tahoe and we don't talk about that year in the east

But yeah...if I go you can count on a good year

dlague

Yeah that's a definite problem with the Sierra. All their snow comes in one whack and often shuts stuff down. Upon reopen all of Norcal shows up for line up and its really a shitshow.

Even though the overall amounts are lower I like the smaller more consistent dumps in Colorado. You only ski on the top foot anyhow. Even 5 or six inches on a soft base is dreamy.

As far as the western slope...yeah I just Cant do the drive up 70 on a regular basis. I like the idea of a smaller low key local hill with the bigger less crowded resorts closeby and Utah fairly close for a couple days. Also if the snow isn't happening that means the trails are prime for mtb....which they are most of the year anyhow. I'll be fairly busy with life the first year or two anyhow so ski bumming will likely be on hold as I get my shit together.
I get the 70 battle and while we considered a place to rent for the season we opted to do the drive this season. We sacrificed powder runs on some days.

My wife found a couple year round places 15 miles from Breck for about $800 per month that allows pets that were are considering. Yes year round because the mountains offer a lot during the summer too.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Hawk

Trailboss, I was there Friday through Monday night and took the Delta red eye out at 10:45pm. They opened the canyon up for about 2 hours Monday afternoon and we busted a move down. We were told a total of 7 slides hit the road. Skiing for the 3 days prior was off the hook! That was some of the deepest runs I have done in a long time. Gotta love the bird. High lights for me were South Chute, Tower 3 and Great Scott with very little traffic. Makes me understand my you moved!

But here is why we have them....holy sh%6^ that is a big slide. We've had multiple ones today in Little Cottonwood. The road is closed between 3pm and tomorrow at 9am to deal with the very unstable snow pack. We have over a 100" base.

http://fox13now.com/2017/01/23/caught-on-video-avalanche-in-little-cottonwood-canyon/

Morwax

Didn't realize how much snow we had here in New England until seeing these.. stay out of the notches people :-o

jimk

Trailboss, I was there Friday through Monday night and took the Delta red eye out at 10:45pm. They opened the canyon up for about 2 hours Monday afternoon and we busted a move down. We were told a total of 7 slides hit the road. Skiing for the 3 days prior was off the hook! That was some of the deepest runs I have done in a long time. Gotta love the bird. High lights for me were South Chute, Tower 3 and Great Scott with very little traffic. Makes me understand my you moved!

Hawk, for a short visit you hit some truly epic days. I skied Snowbird five days last week starting Sun, Jan 22 and ending Jan 28. Tried to ski it Jan 23, but as you know they closed LCC access road most of that day. All the locals were talking about last week being some of the best skiing at Snowbird in several years. And possibly more. On Thursday Jan 26 after skiing Snowbird I talked to two older local guys in the parking lot. One said that Saturday Jan 21, 2017 at Snowbird (one of the days you were there) might have been his best ever single day of skiing in 50 years of skiing Utah. 81" of new snow from Jan 20-27 will get anybody's attention!
I put a few photos from my trip here: http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthread.php/138953-Utah-late-January-2017
PS: my son was skiing Snowbird on Sat, Jan 21 and said they had predicted 5" overnight Fri into Sat, instead they got 25". Talk about over producing!! And then it never really stopped snowing until sometime on Thursday Jan 26.

Last edited: