• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Gore 1-21,1-22

kingslug

Finaly made it to Gore and...interesting place, big. As we all know..we need snow...so...it was all groomers except for Chatemiac which was totally bumped up, most interesting run there...so I did it a million times. Rumor, the steepest run was closed, Lies was open but I don't get the double D rating, not very steep. We spent 1.5 days there as we got bored the second day. Temps were warm, very foggy, soft snow. Its a big place and I guess when its covered the real Gore comes out. Lots of glades and the natural trails look interesting.

Attachments

• gore 2.jpg
    gore 2.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 157
  • gore1.jpg
    gore1.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 157
  • gore.jpg
    gore.jpg
    13.3 KB · Views: 160

Tin

Nice to see some pics from there. I'm assuming the second picture is the liftline that was famously poached a few years back?

JimG.

Staff member
Nice to see some pics from there. I'm assuming the second picture is the liftline that was famously poached a few years back?

I don't think so, that liftline looks like Topridge; there are many other much steeper liftlines at Gore including the one you are referring to which I think is under the High Peaks chair.

kingslug

Are these ever open? seems like all the good runs look like this..although venturing into them might be a bit dangerouse..for the unprepared.

mriceyman

Gore is great when glades in play.. about 4 years ago we were there over xmas break and got 2' plus in a couple days. Mountain was 100% open and it was awesome. Glades off burnt ridge were the tits

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Drewster

Tin and corn head what I believe you are both referring to is a trail called the Dark Side Glades. Great if you have 3+' of base of not you probably break a leg on the boulders .

Tin

Tin and corn head what I believe you are both referring to is a trail called the Dark Side Glades. Great if you have 3+' of base of not you probably break a leg on the boulders .

No, there was a kid a few years ago who had a skied, and videoed, himself going down a couple of closed liftlines there with big cliffs and just airing it out. Ended up getting his season pass taken away. Video was all over the web.

This is not the original video but I believe it was the section at the very end. The guy went off the left side of it.

Last edited:

kingslug

So...just read about the millions of dollars the state will spend on Gore and Whiteface to improve..things...no mention of upgrading snowmaking. The system looks pretty up to date but...I think that more will always be needed..as evident by recent conditions in the past few years. Amenities are nice but people come for the snow...its the end of January and they are still only open 70%. Its unfortunate but being able to cover an entire mountain will soon be a necessity. And these are BIG mountains.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Aren't some of the lift lines at Gore and Whiteface off limits due to trail mileage restrictions at those areas imposed by the Adirondack Park Service?

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Drewster

I'm not sure about whiteface but gore has not reached its max number of tails that can be built. The biggest problem is ORDA, if they make improvements to gore they have to do them at ice face.

ScottySkis

When Gore has natural snow their terrain and really bug vertical over 2200, I believe in one run steeps and glades beats everything in the Catskills and south Vermont to you get to Killington and north vermont. If they got the same sniw as Killington i they be huge popular place. And in my opinion better then k.
But most years they get half the snow as k and unfortunately NY run's it so lots of political s stuff happens that doesn't make skiing snowboarding experience better.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

St. Jerry

No, there was a kid a few years ago who had a skied, and videoed, himself going down a couple of closed liftlines there with big cliffs and just airing it out. Ended up getting his season pass taken away. Video was all over the web.

This is not the original video but I believe it was the section at the very end. The guy went off the left side of it.

Gorebits at 10 seconds and 1 min 20 seconds in.

mikec142

Skied Gore on 1/28 after about 4-5" falling overnight. I was shocked at how small the lift lines were all day considering the parking lot was packed. Chatiemac skied great as did Hawkeye. I was with a friend and his kids so we didn't head into the glades off of Chatiemac but a lot of people were in there. Also, bombing GS turns down Showcase was a ton of fun. Rumor was open (they blew snow on it on Friday) but I skipped it (with friends and little kids).

I would say that Gore is a bit of a secret in the sense that the terrain is better than anything that Southern VT has to offer...they just don't seem to get as much (or make as much) snow and there is no retail/housing/etc. at the base.

Sounds like they are going to totally redo the base lodge with the cash influx.