• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail to buy Stowe?

Highway Star

Stowe has always been pretty aggressive about enforcing trail closures, I can only imagine how it is now. Good luck.

burski

Wondering if there are any updates on Stowe since the Vail acquisition? I realize the season is still young, and the weather to date may have had some influence, but there were predictions of doom and gloom and major overcrowding at the resort when the acquisition was announced. Aside from pass-holders saving some significant $ on their season passes, has there been any noticeable operational changes to date? Has the predicted over crowding been a reality? Any noticeable difference in crowds or clientele?

mbedle

To be honest, this weather and lift operations are driving the crowds or lack there of, at Stowe. For today, maybe slightly higher than normal, but still pretty empty. Some operational changes have occurred. GPS trackers installed on all vehicles, including the snowmobiles for the lift mechanics. Loss of some employee benefits. They seem to be a bit over careful with lift operations and wind issues, but again, this weather has been rough on everybody. They stuck up a bunch of huge signs to tell you when to lower or raise the bars. Have heard of people getting yelled at for raising the bar to soon. They are parking cars very carefully to maximize usage. They use to do that only on the weekends, but they have the attendants out there everyday now. Definitely more strict with staying off closed trails, early in the season. Word is something is going to happen in the spring, but what is up in the air.

BenedictGomez

Loss of some employee benefits.

Here's what I recall:

1) Free skiing (surely that remains)
2) Free rentals (demo whatever the hell you want)
3) 50% off food prices
4) Free ski lessons
5) x% off (I cant remember) ski shop prices

Was it some of that stuff they took away?

mbedle

Here's what I recall:

1) Free skiing (surely that remains)
2) Free rentals (demo whatever the hell you want)
3) 50% off food prices
4) Free ski lessons
5) x% off (I cant remember) ski shop prices

Was it some of that stuff they took away?

Yes, that is exactly the stuff they took away or reduced the percentage off. I was back out on Tuesday and I can say that the crowds are bigger.

hovercraft

I have been out over 30 times so far most of the time mountain is empty. The crowds are significantly less then last year. As reported above parking attendants all the time. You don’t see the collage kids at the mountain like you did last year. With the bush under cutting Stowe on the collage pass plus the 20 and 30 pass I think lots of that business went away which opened the mountain up. I have been pleasantly surprised at the lack of crowds. Hope it stays that way.....

slatham

I have been out over 30 times so far most of the time mountain is empty. The crowds are significantly less then last year. As reported above parking attendants all the time. You don’t see the collage kids at the mountain like you did last year. With the bush under cutting Stowe on the collage pass plus the 20 and 30 pass I think lots of that business went away which opened the mountain up. I have been pleasantly surprised at the lack of crowds. Hope it stays that way.....

My guess is your experience has been heavily influenced by the cold temps. I am interested to see what happens on a seasonally warm weekend with decent snow.

hovercraft

Up until dec 23 we did have great snow and seasonal temps. I’m sure there will be days when it gets crowded but overall my sense tells me it’s not going to be a shit show like everyone predicted.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Up until dec 23 we did have great snow and seasonal temps. I’m sure there will be days when it gets crowded but overall my sense tells me it’s not going to be a shit show like everyone predicted.

The crowds of ski season don't show up until right after that - Christmas week. December 26th is the official start of "ski crowds".

hovercraft

The crowds of ski season don't show up until right after that - Christmas week. December 26th is the official start of "ski crowds".
Yes, I am aware of that. I am comparing this year to last year in the same time frame. In that comparison there are significantly less people at the mountain this year.

fbrissette

This is all due to weather. Jay Peak has pretty much been empty since the beginning of the year.

The other possibility is that lowering ticket price actually decreases crowds....

hovercraft

This is fun, again the weather wasn’t cold up to the 23rd. In that time frame compared to last year there were significantly less people at the mountain. Weather had nothing to do with that. I am sure that the weather since the 23rd has had an effect on crowds. In my experience I do not see the same amount of young people or bus tours at the mountain. It’s noticeably less. But who knows maybe my 31st day will be completely different....
@jimmywilson69 your welcome!

BenedictGomez

Guy offers an on scene description of his 30 days. The internet disputes him....

thanks hovercraft.

I wasn't "disputing" him, I was making the observation that ski resorts are never "crowded" before Christmas. I also used to work at Stowe for a number of years, and it was never "crowded" before Christmas.

Are ANY ski resorts "crowded" before Christmas? I was at Smuggler's Notch this year on a lovely mid-December Saturday after a TON of natural snowfall and on the very day that they dropped the ropes on Madonna - it wasn't crowded.

SnowRock

I’ve been up quite a few times so far. While it has been early season, outside of the absurd cold New Years time frame, I tend to agree that you don’t see the busses or group trips so far this season. I was up about the same amount this time last year and it certainly seemed busier. I have no doubt there will be days where it’s packed, it just has not been close to the predicted apocalypse with the crazy number of passes sold people were throwing out.

fbrissette

I’ve been up quite a few times so far. While it has been early season, outside of the absurd cold New Years time frame, I tend to agree that you don’t see the busses or group trips so far this season. I was up about the same amount this time last year and it certainly seemed busier. I have no doubt there will be days where it’s packed, it just has not been close to the predicted apocalypse with the crazy number of passes sold people were throwing out.

I'm not debating yours or hovercraft's observations.

However, by all means it's been a strange year and I don't think it's possible to draw any conclusions at this point in the season, and certainly not based on current anecdotal observations. For all we know, globally, skier-visits may be down 50% in the east, with Stowe at 20%. As I said earlier, Jay Peak has been empty compared to last year. I have yet to wait for a lift, in my 15 days if skiing (not counting a few 10-minute lines for the Tram with the Flyer empty).

I think most resorts are hurting pretty bad right now.