• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Vail to buy Stowe?

BenedictGomez

$76 per day is still a tough pill to swallow..... $76 just isn't a deal.

Yeah, that's more than a "slightly higher amount". That is the kill-it-slowly-because-of-significant-complaints price.

Vail will get rid of it entirely within a year to two.

SIKSKIER

Heard on the noon news that Stowe had to shut lifts down for a short time while a thunder snowstorm came through.Weatherman said cloud to ground lightning.

slatham

Heard on the noon news that Stowe had to shut lifts down for a short time while a thunder snowstorm came through.Weatherman said cloud to ground lightning.

Radar showed some decent convection so I am not surprised. The way things have been going for Stowe so far they probably got 6" in an hour!

snoseek

They seem big on investing into the big $$$ destination resorts but around here things are slow to change. Will be interesting to see how/ if they invest anything at stowe. I wouldn't make any assumption yet.

machski

Not really surprised. If they have scratched the ACT250 stuff, they probably realize it is a long process. Not to mention, what would they upgrade? The triple or Toll House? I would think both would require so other major changes to support that, especially Toll House. They may still be studying it, could be announced later like Red Buffalo at Beaver Creek this past year.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
Not really surprised. If they have scratched the ACT250 stuff, they probably realize it is a long process. Not to mention, what would they upgrade? The triple or Toll House? I would think both would require so other major changes to support that, especially Toll House. They may still be studying it, could be announced later like Red Buffalo at Beaver Creek this past year.

That's my thought. Install a new HSQ at Toll House, move more parking down there.

SnowRock

None whatsoever.

Yup none.. would set up nicely for another beginner pod though if they did move forward with adding snowmaking, parking and getting rid of one of the slowest lifts around.

Based on lift conversations from my 5 days on the hill so far... couple things that people seem most worried about:
1) Crowds, lots of numbers thrown around re: Epic pass sales and those sold to folks within driving distance.
2) Start time - seems to be murmurs that they are going to get rid of 7:30am weekend start after this season
3) Pay parking
4) Pass pulling for skiing closed terrain

As a flatlander who mostly gets there on weekends, I'd be most upset about the start time. Love the early start. Can get in a ton of laps before the crowds show up on the weekend. The pass puling, while understandable, also doesn't fit with what I have seen for years on the mountain. Seemed to be a looser, "know your limits and don't be flagrant approach" from patrol in the past.

I have a feeling it will be less crowded than some are thinking but more 'regularly' crowded than years past.

Either way, mountain is in great shape and if anyone can get there tomorrow and Wednesday I'm jealous. Got two laps in this AM before heading to boston for work and it was fun. With the snow on the front end of the system and then back end with upslope potential.. will be a blast up there mid week.

bdfreetuna

You should try Bolton Valley on a weekend. Fresh tracks, awesome woods and cool trails, no BS, zero or short lift lines, and cheap.

mlkrgr

Also, there are nowhere near as many opportunities to visit Stowe via round trip day bus services that include the ski lift ticket.

BSSC and New England Snow Bus doesn't even go there (ouch; those are the two largest operators).
Nacski has trips to Stowe planned for January 1st and January 23rd, and schedule is only available through the end of January. This is typical frequency for them, but it's a departure from their now typical Saturday only schedule.
Riteway Travel went from 4 day trips and an overnight in previous years to 2 day trips and no overnight.

snoseek

For whatever reason my employee comp passes and half offs are not valid at stowe

mbedle

Yup none.. would set up nicely for another beginner pod though if they did move forward with adding snowmaking, parking and getting rid of one of the slowest lifts around.

Based on lift conversations from my 5 days on the hill so far... couple things that people seem most worried about:
1) Crowds, lots of numbers thrown around re: Epic pass sales and those sold to folks within driving distance.
2) Start time - seems to be murmurs that they are going to get rid of 7:30am weekend start after this season
3) Pay parking
4) Pass pulling for skiing closed terrain

As a flatlander who mostly gets there on weekends, I'd be most upset about the start time. Love the early start. Can get in a ton of laps before the crowds show up on the weekend. The pass puling, while understandable, also doesn't fit with what I have seen for years on the mountain. Seemed to be a looser, "know your limits and don't be flagrant approach" from patrol in the past.

I have a feeling it will be less crowded than some are thinking but more 'regularly' crowded than years past.

Either way, mountain is in great shape and if anyone can get there tomorrow and Wednesday I'm jealous. Got two laps in this AM before heading to boston for work and it was fun. With the snow on the front end of the system and then back end with upslope potential.. will be a blast up there mid week.

So, just to add to this.

1) I heard the same thing. I am hoping that a lot of people bought the epic pass based on costs and still end up not using it as much. In other words, when you bought the full Stowe pass, you always had in the back of your mind that you better go to Stowe just to pay back the pass cost. Under the Epic pass, you might not feel so bad heading down to Sugarbush or Bolton to do something different. Did hear the place is still dead midweek, which will be nice.
2) I didn't hear that, but it wouldn't surprise me. That would suck, always like the early runs on the weekends before the crowds get there.
3) I'm not sure what the advantage would be with paid parking (other then money). With the limited access to the parking area (one way in and one way out), having a separate line to feed a paid lot would be near impossible and most likely make the parking situation worst. They are trying to better park people to utilize every spot in the lots. They are roping off the lots and forcing everyone to park basically from the front of Mansfield back to the easy over lift. No longer the sort of free for all that they had last year.
4) Heard this also. It was very clear from all of the signs that they do not want people skiing on closed terrain. They also are giving out speeding tickets!
5) They are a lot more strict on their uphill travel.

Good news is, they are kicking ass right now with the most terrain open in the east.