Vail to buy Stowe? - Page 36

AlpineZone

Page 36 of 72 FirstFirst ... 26343536373846 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Sugarbush's full regular adult pass is also already cheaper than Stowe's 7 day county pass.
    Not for long, methinks.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    My real heartbreak is going to come when Vail buys Smuggler's Notch on the cheap, connects the mountains, tears down the old and builds shiny new buildings all over Smuggs. At least Madonna will finally have a high-speed quad though.
    Sadly this seems inevitable now. Right after Vail makes Hellbrook inbound "hike to" terrain

Sent from my SM-N910V using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by jimmywilson69 View Post
    Win made a comparison to the eastern equivalent of Jackson, Alta/Bird, etc. EASTERN equivalent. Obviously its nothing like that in real life, but I think he's saying the all around vibe and skiing is like nothing you can find elsewhere in VT.

I don't necessarily disagree with him. Dude is a very smart business man, and is blood passionate about MRV. They will be fine..
    I did see that. Different than anything in Vermont? Sure. I agree. I also think that it was more than coincidence to use Mountain Collective resorts in that discussion because Stowe was in the MC and now won't be. The MC resorts are also the "independent alternative" to the Epic Pass.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    Here is a gem from the Progressive auditor's report:
    Finally, when the State negotiated the lease agreements, it made a crucial error by not stipulating regular opportunities to update the agreements, as the federal government does in its standardized 40-year permits with ski areas. Despite this impediment, the State and the ski resorts could work together to update and improve the leases.
    i would wager that vail's attorneys were well aware of the state's ability to block the deal and the resultant blackmail which would accompany such an ability, and baked that into their offer price

and if they didn't, then shame on them

Has anyone looked at the Master Plan for Sugarbush? If that comes to fruition, they will be a direct carbon copy of what Spruce Peak is today.

Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    Has anyone looked at the Master Plan for Sugarbush? If that comes to fruition, they will be a direct carbon copy of what Spruce Peak is today.
    I'm curious, can you provide some more detail on this post? From a real estate perspective? From a trail system perspective? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    Pretty strong opinion for a guy from New Jersey
    No idea what that even means. I've skied Vermont extensively from the middle-up. The only resorts in Vermont I'm not familiar with are s.VT, like Magic, Stratton, Okemo, etc....

If you read fear in that, you don't know Win.
    I don't know Win, but I would wager a lager sum of money that I've read more CEO statements than 99% of posters on this board (regretfully, as they're almost universally painfully boring), and after you've read a few thousand statements like that, you get pretty good at quickly discerning their motivation, their hidden (they erroneously think well) agenda, and at reading between the lines. So you're right, I dont know the guy, but I'd stake my life on his being worried by Vail/Stowe after reading his open letter.

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    Here is a gem from the Progressive auditor's report:
    Finally, when the State negotiated the lease agreements, it made a crucial error by not stipulating regular opportunities to update the agreements, as the federal government does in its standardized 40-year permits with ski areas. Despite this impediment, the State and the ski resorts could work together to update and improve the leases.
    SHORTER VERSION: Government employees are stupid and it's "Bambi vs. Godzilla" when we deal with private business.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by hovercraft View Post
    I thought the best part of the email Win sent out was when he compared SB to Squaw or Jackson Hole. He must be high on something. If anyone doesn't think he is worried, they are delusional.
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    The comparison to Alta, Aspen, etc. was laughable. I love Sugarbush, but it is nothing compared to those resorts. Alta has the snow and a real community feel like MRG. Aspen is, well, Aspen. Even Aspen Highlands. Jackson Hole? Not even close. Squaw Valley? Host an Olympics and then come back and talk to us.
    I didn't bother to mention that part, but I actually found that part of the letter more "embarrassing" than delusional.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    I don't have a single local friend in Stowe who doesn't wish the mountain could turn back the clock to pre-Spruce development when it was basically just a ski mountain and not Disneyland. On a holiday weekend you could show up at 10AM and get a parking spot within 50 feet of the Big Pig and just lap that terrain until 1 or so and head to Mansfield for relatively reasonable lines off the Gondola and the 4Runner being practically ski on after 2.
    I keep reading these horror stories of driving to and parking at Stowe, is this only a Christmas/MLK/PDW phenomena? I only ski Stowe one or 2 Saturdays a year for the last 4'ish years, but I've not experienced nightmare gridlock or 30 minutes to park, so either I've been lucky or I assume it's a holiday thing, or a very recent thing as I didn't ski Stowe at all last year. This is very saddening if the place has truly been destroyed by aggressive planning.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Not to turn this into another Sugarbush thread, but you have to admit that Win is indeed concerned. They've always been sandwiched in between Stowe to the north and its lofty reputation and Killington to the south and its reputation. Stowe was just sold to a HUGE ski resort player. And I've read that Killington's Base Area expansion was finally approved....whether it happens or not we have yet to see. So once again Sugarbush has to try to distinguish itself from these two.

And for the record I like Win. Always have. He's done a great job. But let's understand that it is a tough business and competition is fierce.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Agreed, I never understand when people keep saying he's trying to compete directly with Stowe. He isn't. Sure he's added a few more upscale lodging offerings, but it is relatively limited and he's still kept the same overall laid back vibe that it is known for. He's also led the way in so many different reasonably priced pass options for many different groups.
    Ugh. I feel like a broken record. They've ALWAYS had to compete with Stowe to the north and Killington to the south I'm pretty sure that he either said at a passholder meeting I attended or said on an AZ Challenge that they compared themselves to Stowe and used the same approach--not to underprice their product (like ASC did) and to focus on offering quality over quantity. Hence, why they always were on the upper end of season pass prices since he took over.

That said, their pass offerings have responded to pressure by becoming so fragmented.
    Last edited by thetrailboss; Feb 23, 2017 at 9:43 AM.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Thread Information