• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowmobiling locations?

KevinF

Maybe not skiing / boarding related, but it's still snow-related, so I'll give this a shot.

Friends of mine located in Central Massachusetts want to try out snow-mobiling and asked me for recommendations of places to go that rent snow-mobiles, provide tours, etc.

Any recommendations? This is a subject I know nothing about. They were looking for something within day-trip distance of central Mass which I cautioned them might be difficult, but any recommendations are welcome, etc.

Thanks!

JDMRoma

I would say any place north of twin mountain. Just google it and I'm sure you'll find a ton. I liked Pittsburg and Coleman state park ....best trail system and grooming in that area.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Puck it

My daughter and Boyfriend did one out of Bretton Woods and liked it. They went up thru Jefferson Notch. Also there is place in Killington at the Rt 4 and 100 intersection where the old Sunrise Lodge for Kton used to be.

dlague

Maybe not skiing / boarding related, but it's still snow-related, so I'll give this a shot.

Friends of mine located in Central Massachusetts want to try out snow-mobiling and asked me for recommendations of places to go that rent snow-mobiles, provide tours, etc.

Any recommendations? This is a subject I know nothing about. They were looking for something within day-trip distance of central Mass which I cautioned them might be difficult, but any recommendations are welcome, etc.

Thanks!

Right in Lincoln there are a couple and they basically meet at Tripoli Rd and head into the mountains. it is a tour then when the get to a pond at the top on one of the hills they let everyone have at it on their own.

Lincoln being a little further south makes the drive easier.

Glenn

High Country rents them out of Mt. Snow. https://mountsnowsnowmobiletours.com/ My wife and I rented a sled and went out with a guide a few years back. Since it was just us and the guide, we were able to pount out the miles. We went all the way to Woodford and back. Go on a week day if you can, the trails are a lot less busy.

Stratton rents them as well: http://www.strattonadventures.com/mountain-tours/ That looks more like a tour of the mountain. The one that leaves from Mt. Snow uses some of the ski trails, but you get out on the actual VAST trails.

JDMRoma

Right in Lincoln there are a couple and they basically meet at Tripoli Rd and head into the mountains. it is a tour then when the get to a pond at the top on one of the hills they let everyone have at it on their own.

Lincoln being a little further south makes the drive easier.

Little easier driving in the car but once you head north on snowmobile and get past Cannon trail hooks a right and goes into the wood. Absolutely the worst trail to be on in a low snow year Trust me Twin mountain north is where to start

Kleetus

Not a day trip but Old Forge, NY and the surrounding area have awesome snowmobiling. Hundreds of miles of groomed trails and we just got dumped on with 20+ inches of snow over the past 4 days.

You do need a trail permit to ride up there though. Which is 80$ per snowmobile. However, this coming weekend only the trail permit is waved for out of state residents.

Since you'll be renting a sled though really doesn't matter. Permit fee only applies if you are bringing your own sled.

https://oldforgeny.com/snow/index.html

skifree

Little easier driving in the car but once you head north on snowmobile and get past Cannon trail hooks a right and goes into the wood. Absolutely the worst trail to be on in a low snow year Trust me Twin mountain north is where to start

i agree, going thru the notch is great but gets lame after that.