Powder Mag: A Skier Goes East

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Powder Mag: A Skier Goes East

http://www.powder.com/stories/wicked...agDIxzfOgip.97

Some good lines in this piece.

Personally, I always thought powder skiing was the easiest type of skiing. We ski over the rocks, then jump a waterfall to ski down over more rocks.
    All skiing is good. Some skiing isn't as good. But all skiing is good.

@mtncobber on the instafeeds.

Kind of a short lame article that goes nowhere
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

...and then I found five dollars.
    All skiing is good. Some skiing isn't as good. But all skiing is good.

@mtncobber on the instafeeds.

Interesting article, but I have to admit I prefer where we are now. The east does present challenges that I have not found in Colorado yet but most of those challenges I can live with out.

Skiing over rocks hitting a waterfall and then hitting more rocks does not exactly scream FUN. I have skied in New England for over 30 years and frankly I really do not need to ski ice or rocks or ski in the rain/freezing whatever. So far the weather and snow have been very consistent and we have enjoyed it. I also do recognize that east coast skiers do have a skill set not found in many the have lived here their entire lives. Is the northeast a market to attract western skiers I do not think so. In fact the ski shows in New England feature western resorts. The ski show here, we'll nothing back east is represented.

What do I miss about eastern skiing, the proximity of all the ski areas. The skiers back east are more diehard compared to here IMO. When skiing is good the narrower trails are super fun. I also think the vibe is different back east.

I think this article does more bad than good for the Northeast because it makes it seem more threatening than it really is.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

west > east
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2018/19
    Breck - 12/2 12/22 12/23 1/5 1/6 2/9 3/10
    Taos - 1/26
    Keystone - 2/24
    Crested Butte - 3/25 3/26 3/27

The only part of eastern skiing that's generally better than western skiing is the tree skiing (assuming you actually like "tree skiing" as opposed to skiing between widely spaced gaps between trees, which some people erroneously call "tree skiing").
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    The only part of eastern skiing that's generally better than western skiing is the tree skiing (assuming you actually like "tree skiing" as opposed to skiing between widely spaced gaps between trees, which some people erroneously call "tree skiing").
    That is the lamest statement i have ever heard. Every place I have been to has tree skiing that is just as tight as stuff I skied in New England. Yes there are glades that are more spread out and guess what there are glades like that in New England. I have done some tree skiing back east where trees were 3-4 apart and speeds were super slow to navigate. I have found trees like that here too. Personally I am not a fan of tight trees and bushwacking. And who says how far apart trees have to be to be called tree skiing. Is Timbuktoo a tree run? I think it is and it is more open. Is Andre's a tree run that is fairly open as well. Or are you talking about tighter glades like Cannon has which some are so tight it feelsnloke bushwacking. So what exactly is your criteria?

I will tell you one fundamental difference there are less hard woods tree skiing out west.

2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

No sympathy for anyone pissing and moaning about New England skiing. It's the frigging bomb compared to mid-Atlantic skiing.

I am a sloppy, non-technical skier and not good for astute observations on style, but one difference between East and West I've noticed is Eastern skiers are very turny, great in tight spaces and know how to deal with firm/icy surfaces and crap conditions. Out west the great skiers don't turn much, they do 5 GS turns down 750" vertical of steeps. They gobble up terrain in big swoops and don't sweat the small stuff because they blow right by it.

Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    No sympathy for anyone pissing and moaning about New England skiing. It's the frigging bomb compared to mid-Atlantic skiing.

I am a sloppy, non-technical skier and not good for astute observations on style, but one difference between East and West I've noticed is Eastern skiers are very turny, great in tight spaces and know how to deal with firm/icy surfaces and crap conditions. Out west the great skiers don't turn much, they do 5 GS turns down 750" vertical of steeps. They gobble up terrain in big swoops and don't sweat the small stuff because they blow right by it.
    I agree with that.

2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

Have skied the East nearly ever winter since 1970 - 4-5 days in Tahoe in the 90s (on a very East conditions) is my west experience. So none lol. I can't ski pow well. But I could be one of the best female skiers you've seen. Last winter when everyone bitched about sucky conditions, I still had 50 fun filled days. I hate ice - I go home if I can't find anything decent (probably 2 days/yr). But when I see people's pics and videos from the West - I wonder how long until I'd get bored. MRG is my type of place. The unexpected terrain, you never know what you'll find. Woods are rarely pristine - always some obstacle. Every year I improve And get better. And a Saturday can have conditions that are totally different than on Sunday. You're constantly changing your stance and skills to match the conditions dujour. Since my West experience is limited - it's tough to judge - but I suspect I wouldn't find it as exciting 50+ days a year.

Thread Information