Powder Mag: A Skier Goes East - Page 6

AlpineZone

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    Good thing the world does not live according to your definitions. Chest pounders like to talk about how hard they ski and the most difficult trails are the only true skiing! That's OK it is your world but we do not need to live in it!

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

If there are not cliffs, ledges, or moguls it is just cross-country.
    My couch might pull out but I send it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    If there are not cliffs, ledges, or moguls it is just cross-country.
    Ok then now that I know the criteria I will refocus!

BTW how do you ski cliffs in tight trees? I have come across two drops - one is about a 20 ft cliff at Loveland and there is no f'n way that is happening because there are trees all over and the other at Cooper and no one is launching off that either.

2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Ok then now that I know the criteria I will refocus!

BTW how do you ski cliffs in tight trees? I have come across two drops - one is about a 20 ft cliff at Loveland and there is no f'n way that is happening because there are trees all over and the other at Cooper and no one is launching off that either.

Cliffs in tight trees? Come to Mad River or Stowe and I will teach you. Sometimes you just go and figure it out while in the air lol
    My couch might pull out but I send it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tin View Post
    Cliffs in tight trees? Come to Mad River or Stowe and I will teach you. Sometimes you just go and figure it out while in the air lol
    Found a small one 10-15 foot at Bolton today in the preacher/cobrass woods. Didn't go as planned. 13 yo son had no issue but my plan was to hit then turn. i hit and skis just skidded out on the turn, I went down and i slid a few feet in between trees but was no worse for the wear but my pride.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

Good thing the world does not live according to your definitions. Chest pounders like to talk about how hard they ski and the most difficult trails are the only true skiing! That's OK it is your world but we do not need to live in it!
    Funny thing is, I said nothing of the sort. I believe psychologists call your above post, "projecting".

Here....please allow me to repost precisely what I said.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    The only part of eastern skiing that's generally better than western skiing is the tree skiing (assuming you actually like "tree skiing" as opposed to skiing between widely spaced gaps between trees, which some people erroneously call "tree skiing").
    I dont call this "chest pounding". I call it a generally well-accepted, accurate statement.

I listen to west coast skiers talk about what they perceive as "tree skiing", and since it's Super Bowl Sunday, I'll say that the tales generally consist of skiing around tree stands that would net you a First Down in American football. The term "tree skiing" means a totally different thing to a native western skier versus a native eastern skier. But I get it, you REALLY like skiing out west and everything. It's cool. Everyone does.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

😆^

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    The only part of eastern skiing that's generally better than western skiing is the tree skiing (assuming you actually like "tree skiing" as opposed to skiing between widely spaced gaps between trees, which some people erroneously call "tree skiing").
    We have plenty of tight trees out est too but once you get used to hitting the throttle more the super tight trees aren't really as much fun. I've seen a lot of vids from east coast skiers that like to big about how their trees are better but it often looks slow and awkward. I'm all for it if that's what you are into but don't kid yourself, the west is a big place and there is every kind of skiing you can imagine.

this is much tighter and steeper than the video suggests.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    We have plenty of tight trees out est too but once you get used to hitting the throttle more the super tight trees aren't really as much fun. I've seen a lot of vids from east coast skiers that like to big about how their trees are better but it often looks slow and awkward. I'm all for it if that's what you are into but don't kid yourself, the west is a big place and there is every kind of skiing you can imagine.

this is much tighter and steeper than the video suggests.
    Everything looks better with never ending face shots

Sent from my SM-N910V using AlpineZone mobile app

East Coast trees won't kill you! Just a guess but I would say there haven't been any tree well deaths East of the Mississippi.
    I did have a really cool tree run at Lake Louise up top , I actually found some small deciduous trees up high . Moguls mixed in and ever tightening as we got lower.

As a Wildcat skier which in my experience has some of the tightest trees in the East, I feel pretty confident saying that you can find plenty of tight trees out west. A couple of areas that come to mind are in and around the alleys at Abasin and some of the stuff off the backside of peak 9 at Breckenridge accessed by the E chair. Yes, there are plenty of wide open glades out west, but to suggest the east is better for tight trees just isn't true.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Thread Information