• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Powder Mag: A Skier Goes East

dlague

^ Dave, Want moguls?, you got to get over to the Jane one of these days. Murder on the legs, but as I told my wife I could have an affair with that place. Trying to figure out a 3rd trip in April. I'm hooked.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Ya we went in the bar at Keystone and were talking about MJ. I know people often put down Keystone but the runs there are long. and the two runs down the middle in the picture feel steep and have serious bumps. We only did one run there and I was thrashed. We did another run on Mineshaft later. The bumps had good rhythm and were large in steeper sections and and more shallow in the sections there were not as steep. Just looking around I was noticing more bump runs that were widely distributed across Keystone.

KustyTheKlown

The big vertical is irrelevant since you often only ski the upper lifts in the western resorts. The sheer variety of terrain (open bowls, chutes, steeps, glades of all sort) , the snow quality and absence of ice is where the big western resorts shine the most compared to the east.

bullshit. ski the 3000+ vertical feet from the top of rendezvous to the bottom of the hobacks and all of the varied terrain between and then tell me the vert doesnt matter and you only ski the upper lifts.

dlague

bullshit. ski the 3000+ vertical feet from the top of rendezvous to the bottom of the hobacks and all of the varied terrain between and then tell me the vert doesnt matter and you only ski the upper lifts.
Not that I have experience at Jackson Hole but I agree. There are big runs that really get your legs burning and heart rate up for sure.

Choosing to ski upper lifts is a choice and should not lead to a broad assumption. Using back east examples you can ski SB and lap Heavens Gate or combine lifts and do top to bottom. Lapping Cannon's tram is very fun too. I often prefer top to bottom runs that are long and feature varied terrain. We all seek different thrills. But vertical does make a difference.

But that being said Snowbird, Snowmass and Whistler come to mind or even places like Vail and Breck for that matter. They all have killer top to bottom runs and have fast lifts which makes it that much better.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited: