let's talk about off map and sidecountry skiing at stowe... - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MadMadWorld View Post
    Yes there is a way to get to the Kitchen Wall but it requires you to cliff yourself out, remove your skis and promptly throw them off. You will lose them and then have to post a thread on AZ.

Sent from my SM-N910V using AlpineZone mobile app
    I'll try this but I don't think I'm going to enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Edd View Post
    I'll try this but I don't think I'm going to enjoy it.
    We will

Quote Originally Posted by KD7000 View Post
    Any time someone mentions Kitchen Wall, that's my immediate first thought.
    I've fallen off that traverse before, but never so far down that I couldn't get back up and continue on to the common drop in spot. I guess I'm just super paranoid about off trail exploring. I would have chosen to unclip AT THAT POINT and climb back to the traverse and continue on to known territory. Maybe the snow was too deep? But you can still traverse under the traverse....every time I'm there now I look down trying to figure out where that guy ended up....

Also, I always wonder what the heck did he do? Just climb out and walk all the way down Perry Merrill? I mean, you are way the heck up there at kitchen way! That's a long, lonely walk of shame DOWN the mountain in ski boots....

I wish that guy would come back and give us an update.

Some where on the inter webs there is a fantastic trip report of a guy going side country at stowe - maybe to hellsbrook? He's alone, and his bindings fail, and he's post holing back to the trail network and flinging his skis in front of him, and he takes a tumble, knocks a tooth out, then bindings release, and he can ski down...report ends with him, face completely bloody, not even bothering to clean up, drinking a beer in the bar at the Spruce lodge....

Can't find it - but will keep looking. Hilarious.

Oh ya.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    SIKSKIER

Quote Originally Posted by MadMadWorld View Post
    Yes there is a way to get to the Kitchen Wall but it requires you to cliff yourself out, remove your skis and promptly throw them off. You will lose them and then have to post a thread on AZ.

Beat me to the punchline.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by tnt1234 View Post
    I've fallen off that traverse before, but never so far down that I couldn't get back up and continue on to the common drop in spot. I guess I'm just super paranoid about off trail exploring.
    Well, to be fair, the Kitchen Wall is DEADLY! LOL

I steadied myself with outstretched arms against the rock face in front of me and eased out onto the unstable ridge. If I made it, this barren stretch of boulders would funnel me into one of Stowe Mountain Resort’s best unmarked glades. But one wrong twitch on this rocky cliff and I could tumble down a 30-foot embankment with nothing to look forward to but an ocean of ice and jagged granite. To navigate it successfully, I stood on the toe edge of my snowboard with bent knees, staring Mount Mansfield in the face........... Technically it doesn’t have a name; it’s not even on the trail map. Most likely it’s some local ski bum’s name for the deadly ridge I traversed.
    Much like the AZ Kitchen Wall ski-chucking thread, this article never gets old.

http://archive.boston.com/travel/exp..._highest_peak/
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

I assume you mean deadly if accessed from above the lifts. The lower section accessed from the Gondola is fairly benign IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    I assume you mean deadly if accessed from above the lifts. The lower section accessed from the Gondola is fairly benign IMO.
    It was tongue-in-cheek. I was making fun of how dramatized that reporter wrote his piece.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by KD7000 View Post
    Any time someone mentions Kitchen Wall, that's my immediate first thought.
    Hi guys, newbie to the forum here. Been going to Stowe for many years now. I stumbled across this thread and found it funny you guys were talking about the man who tossed his skis off a cliff in the kitchen wall and walked the rest of the way down. I remember reading that exact thread years ago so I decided to google the thread and ended up finding it haha. Enjoy the comments!

http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthr...em-back-advice

Thread Information