• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak - Will they make it until APril?

JimG.

Staff member
Would the receivership status and cost-cutting to show maximum profitability be a factor for a Mid April trip?
I'm thinking in terms of lifts not opening, not the mtn itself

THIS!

Jay much more likely to run out of money than snow.

snoseek

I usually plan a 4 day ski trip with my kids during their school spring break. Due to work this year, I cannot make it during March. My Kids have a second week off april 10th-14th. I know it is hard to predict, but what are the chances of Jay making it until the second week of April?

I know in the past Jay has had some crazy long seasons....how often do they make it to mid April?

Its late enough in the year that I doubt things will fill up. Maybe just wait till last minute and that way you can change plans based on weather/closings ect....

LONGBOARDR

I usually plan a 4 day ski trip with my kids during their school spring break. Due to work this year, I cannot make it during March. My Kids have a second week off april 10th-14th. I know it is hard to predict, but what are the chances of Jay making it until the second week of April?

I know in the past Jay has had some crazy long seasons....how often do they make it to mid April?

Your trip dates are pretty safe for Jay, they are still blowing snow here and building base depths.

I'd wait to book however, you will likely score a nice spring package deal

Conditions absolutely amazing here, it just keeps on snowing

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Let's go with snowmaking on alligator Alley today.

Like today. They always blame it on the wind. There's been plenty of days where there was no wind and the Tram or Flyer didn't run, in that case, maybe there's an icing issue or insert random issue here _________.

Jcb890

Let's go with snowmaking on alligator Alley today.
Interesting. The website says wind hold this AM, but winds should die down later. Yesterday's post also said wind hold with nothing mentioned yesterday or today about snowmaking on Alligator Alley.

Either way, I'll bite - what does snowmaking on Alligator Alley have to do with The Tram? Why can't The Flyer run while making snow on Alligator Alley? Bonaventure Quad also on wind hold according to the site as well, why would that be closed for snowmaking on Alligator Alley? What other mountains close lifts to make snow on trails? I don't recall seeing that before. Closing a trail while making snow? Sure, I've seen that plenty. Still, they'll often leave trails open while making snow since the people won't melt while riding/skiing under the snow guns. Closing a lift to make snow on a trail? That seems quite odd to me.

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Or something, yes.

In reality, we had a good window on AA. We move to Harmony Lane Monday and Tuesday for 48 hours to lock in the area below ULLR's run out and tie in Ex/GMB run outs, then onto a good solid week, or thereabouts, on the Jet and we're finis. Late April, at this point, is a layup with strong likelihood of May. Tram will be done by the 15th so we can start the major upgrade process and, theoretically, be done by mid June, so we can reopen it for weddings.

Unless, of course, someone talked the waffle guy who has a better optic into what's happening I mean.

Do you spin a wheel or something? :razz:

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
The Flyer was down Monday and yesterday morning due to snowmaking on AA not the Tram. The Flyer opened late am and ran until just after-noon when we lost it due to wind. The Tram ran out of the gate and through and until 1:12pm when it went down for wind. The Bonnie went down at 2:41p due to wind. I rode the Jet at 3p yesterday. It was beyond windy. We have, forever, closed lifts when snowmaking underneath has the potential to impact that chair. Many resorts do. As to closing trails when snowmaking, it's also a resort decision and it's one we make often. As of this am, the Jet is our only upper mtn option due to wind. You don't have to like it, I certainly don't, but it's reality. It's also raining.

Interesting. The website says wind hold this AM, but winds should die down later. Yesterday's post also said wind hold with nothing mentioned yesterday or today about snowmaking on Alligator Alley.

Either way, I'll bite - what does snowmaking on Alligator Alley have to do with The Tram? Why can't The Flyer run while making snow on Alligator Alley? Bonaventure Quad also on wind hold according to the site as well, why would that be closed for snowmaking on Alligator Alley? What other mountains close lifts to make snow on trails? I don't recall seeing that before. Closing a trail while making snow? Sure, I've seen that plenty. Still, they'll often leave trails open while making snow since the people won't melt while riding/skiing under the snow guns. Closing a lift to make snow on a trail? That seems quite odd to me.

BenedictGomez

Good explanations, but closing an entire lift (one of the most important to boot) due to snowmaking on one trail on a non-holiday weekday seems like a poor decision FWIW.

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
I think the issue is more with my explanation than the website (I didn't know we had pulled off AA yesterday am as the original plan was 24 more hrs). And the issue as well, as I read it, dealt with various psychologies on running lifts and opening trails through snowmaking. Apologies if that wasn't the case.

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
What I am also weighted with, is considering what happens if that snowmkaing freezes up sheaves and, honestly the bigger issue, is icing up the bottom of guest's gear and having it stop them dead on the ramp which has happened to me multiple times. Not to mention it's not an altogether pleasant experience to sit through. We had considered forgoing sm on AA altogether but it needed snow. I understand and appreciate your opinion though. And it's now snowing. And still howling.

Good explanations, but closing an entire lift (one of the most important to boot) due to snowmaking on one trail on a non-holiday weekday seems like a poor decision FWIW.

gladerider

it's raining up there now? rain on top of a foot of snow? great. heading up next week for the Prez Week break. was hoping they escape the rain. darn.

KustyTheKlown

The effects of this rain will be gone by Saturday hopefully, Sunday definitely. It has zero impact on presidents week

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
It sleeted for about 90 minutes pre-daybreak according to ops and it rained a bit first thing this am. It turned to snow for several hours and now it's just really blowing. It's supposed to snow a bit more heading into the weekend. This bit of weather won't impact the base at all though it will impact what's under-foot for today and possibly tomorrow.

it's raining up there now? rain on top of a foot of snow? great. heading up next week for the Prez Week break. was hoping they escape the rain. darn.

KustyTheKlown

Thanks Steve. I'm hopeful for soft glades Saturday. I keep lobbying to save jay for Sunday but my buddy who is driving keeps screaming about things like "logistics" and "practicality"

BenedictGomez

It sleeted for about 90 minutes pre-daybreak according to ops and it rained a bit first thing this am. It turned to snow for several hours and now it's just really blowing.

That's great news. This makes 3 "condition danger" situations in a row that n.VT has escaped from virtually unscathed.

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
We've lucked out for sure. Looks like this next storm hits s. vt in a more meaningful way and I'm hopeful it doesn't look up the metro markets who are really going to get it. Looks like something else next week that looks duckable but it'll be close.

That's great news. This makes 3 "condition danger" situations in a row that n.VT has escaped from virtually unscathed.

gladerider

It sleeted for about 90 minutes pre-daybreak according to ops and it rained a bit first thing this am. It turned to snow for several hours and now it's just really blowing. It's supposed to snow a bit more heading into the weekend. This bit of weather won't impact the base at all though it will impact what's under-foot for today and possibly tomorrow.

excellent! thanks for the update :)