• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

death on Annapurna @ Hunter today

tnt1234

Doesn't matter what level skier you are if you find yourself sliding headfirst down a steep, icy pitch.

Terrible stuff....vibes for family and friends.

Is it just the age of the internet makes news more accessible, but I feel like every other day I'm reading about someone passing away on a ski mountain, or getting caught in an avalanche, or something terrible happening.

JimG.

Staff member
Doesn't matter what level skier you are if you find yourself sliding headfirst down a steep, icy pitch.

Terrible stuff....vibes for family and friends.

Is it just the age of the internet makes news more accessible, but I feel like every other day I'm reading about someone passing away on a ski mountain, or getting caught in an avalanche, or something terrible happening.

Those hazards always existed; because of the internet it's instant news now and everyone knows about it.

Gives real meaning to the cliché that ignorance is bliss.

MadMadWorld

I would guess that more people get hurt on intermediate trails than advanced. Look at many of the press release over the years and it's almost always groomed intermediate at least on the EC

Sent from my SM-N910V using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

BenedictGomez

I would guess that more people get hurt on intermediate trails than advanced. Look at many of the press release over the years and it's almost always groomed intermediate at least on the EC

Absolutely.

I also speculate that lots of times when you hear the person was an "experienced skier" (which they almost always seem to say), that some (many?) of these are actually intermediates.

Jully

Well it all depends on what their definition of experienced is. Someone can ski for 10 years and still be an intermediate in my opinion.

danimals

Was there today. Incredible powder day. The snow surface under all the new snow was abysmal however. The few times I hit it, I thought I was hitting rocks it was so solid. If that is any indication of how yesterday was, it's not surprising, especially if groomed.

I'm honestly really surprised it doesn't happen more at hunter. Crowds, drops off of the sides of trails, the starter jacket crowd, and an exposed and Steep hill with much of it in the shadows all day make for interesting conditions.

Last edited: