death on Annapurna @ Hunter today - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    "Expert" is a relative term, same as "tight trees".
    Right that is the reason I used longtime skiers.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

Doesn't matter what level skier you are if you find yourself sliding headfirst down a steep, icy pitch.

Terrible stuff....vibes for family and friends.

Is it just the age of the internet makes news more accessible, but I feel like every other day I'm reading about someone passing away on a ski mountain, or getting caught in an avalanche, or something terrible happening.

Quote Originally Posted by tnt1234 View Post
    Doesn't matter what level skier you are if you find yourself sliding headfirst down a steep, icy pitch.

Terrible stuff....vibes for family and friends.

Is it just the age of the internet makes news more accessible, but I feel like every other day I'm reading about someone passing away on a ski mountain, or getting caught in an avalanche, or something terrible happening.
    Those hazards always existed; because of the internet it's instant news now and everyone knows about it.

Gives real meaning to the cliché that ignorance is bliss.

I would guess that more people get hurt on intermediate trails than advanced. Look at many of the press release over the years and it's almost always groomed intermediate at least on the EC

Sent from my SM-N910V using AlpineZone mobile app

Skier fatalities: Myths about who dies, and where, debunked
    Average person who died last season was 30-something experienced man wearing a helmet

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/12...here-debunked/

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    Skier fatalities: Myths about who dies, and where, debunked
    Average person who died last season was 30-something experienced man wearing a helmet

http://www.denverpost.com/2017/01/12...here-debunked/
    Well that helmet trend is being blown out of the water this year. Most deaths so far have been with out helmets.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    Well that helmet trend is being blown out of the water this year. Most deaths so far have been with out helmets.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app
    Helmet only protects the head. Smoking a tree with your chest will fuck you up badly.

Sent from my SM-G930F using AlpineZone mobile app
    104(12/13)
    (13/14)
    48(14/15)
    35(15/16)
    50(16/17)
    Rossi Soul 7 w/ Marker F12 (188 ) FOR SALE!
    Stockli Stormrider w/ Look PX 12 (177)

Quote Originally Posted by MadMadWorld View Post
    I would guess that more people get hurt on intermediate trails than advanced. Look at many of the press release over the years and it's almost always groomed intermediate at least on the EC
    Absolutely.

I also speculate that lots of times when you hear the person was an "experienced skier" (which they almost always seem to say), that some (many?) of these are actually intermediates.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Well it all depends on what their definition of experienced is. Someone can ski for 10 years and still be an intermediate in my opinion.

death on Annapurna @ Hunter today

Was there today. Incredible powder day. The snow surface under all the new snow was abysmal however. The few times I hit it, I thought I was hitting rocks it was so solid. If that is any indication of how yesterday was, it's not surprising, especially if groomed.

I'm honestly really surprised it doesn't happen more at hunter. Crowds, drops off of the sides of trails, the starter jacket crowd, and an exposed and Steep hill with much of it in the shadows all day make for interesting conditions.
    Last edited by danimals; Feb 9, 2017 at 9:25 PM.

Thread Information