• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Grand Targhee

kingslug

Targhee_and_Jackson_feb_2007_006.jpg

Targhee_and_Jackson_feb_2007_005.jpg

Targhee_and_Jackson_feb_2007_041.jpg

Targhee_and_Jackson_feb_2007_012.jpg

Targhee_and_Jackson_feb_2007_007.jpg

We decided to hit Targhee first as they had better conditions than Jackson. It's an hour drive through Teton Pass, very scenic, when you can see. Targhee gets a lot more snow than Jackson and is a lot easier to deal with. But it's nickname Grand Foghee is apropriate. Our first day was sunny so we got to see the whole place. An advanced intermediates paradise is a good description. With very little over 30 degrees steep you can pick endless lines down tree covered powder fields. They do have a very steep cliff area if you feel the need. With 3 main lifts and 2000 acres there is a lot to explore. Fat skis recommended. We demo'd several different types and will finaly be buying some. Met up with some locals the 3 times we went back, one a patroller. No way to keep up with these guys but they waited for us and showed us around. Very laid back vibe, very different from Jackson. The Plattekill of the west. Picking up 6 inches a day it just got better and better. The runs down the main face are a solid 2000 vert with almost no runout, exhausting. The 2 lower lifts have better visibility and less vert when the top gets socked in, and it does often. $57.00 tickets and great cheap food in the bar, this place should not be passed up. Jackson will still be there when you're ready. JH report to follow.

ajl50

ok...adding targhee to list of resorts I need to visit. I always felt that it was goodness but nice to hear you confirm it.

kingslug

ok...adding targhee to list of resorts I need to visit. I always felt that it was goodness but nice to hear you confirm it.

It's a great alternative to Jackson. Jackson can be a tough place to spend the whole week. THE most hairball resort I have ever been to. You can chill out and ski nice powder runs all day at Targhee. Then go scare yourself at the Hole.

koreshot

Targhee rules. I love that place. The runs aren't particularly challenging, but the snow is dependable and the atmosphere is great. Last year I skied a foot of fresh snow, untracked runs all day long, on a Sunday. A powder weekend day anywhere else (like Jackson) would be tracked out by 11am.