• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2017 Injury Thread

4aprice

Don't know if someone started one yet, if so mods can merge. And let me add I hope it is short thread

Hooked a tip yesterday on Rocket at Camelback and "pitch poled" my self down on top of my shoulder onto a fairly hard surface. Had it checked out by ski patrol and thankfully noting seems broken or dislocated just majorly bruised ( along with the ego). Affected range of motion which cut short my day, but thankfully while sore things seem to be getting better today. Be careful out there.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Don't know if someone started one yet, if so mods can merge. And let me add I hope it is short thread

Hooked a tip yesterday on Rocket at Camelback and "pitch poled" my self down on top of my shoulder onto a fairly hard surface. Had it checked out by ski patrol and thankfully noting seems broken or dislocated just majorly bruised ( along with the ego). Affected range of motion which cut short my day, but thankfully while sore things seem to be getting better today. Be careful out there.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

What's the weather like? Pouring in Jim Thorpe.
Heal up quick, winter's not over yet !

4aprice

What's the weather like? Pouring in Jim Thorpe.
Heal up quick, winter's not over yet !

We've had snow/sleet/rain here in NNJ. Word from people up at CBK, the same.

Luckly its minor. Between the weather and soreness skipping today but range of motion is better today and I'm looking to get back at it hopefully midweek.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

Not injured this season but discovered this season.

My wife actually injured herself at last years AZ Summit skiing down Gondi Line. The binding actually hit her patella and dislocated it and fractured it as well. While she thought nothing of it and rested it for a couple of weeks, she since has been experiencing internal pain. With last seasons extended season, lots of hiking and this season it has become agitated. Now in the throws of this ski season her knee is bugging her more so she went to an ortho and had it X-Rayed where they discovered her injury. She now has to do Physical Therapy to realign the patella but refuses to stop skiing and she does not want surgery. The Doc told her to limit her skiing to groomers. However, somehow we manage to get on bumped up runs or chop and she then pays the price for a day or two.

mriceyman

Tore my mcl last april.. havent done anything for it and after the last 2 days on the hill i cant bend my right knee at all. Going to have to go under the knife

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

4aprice

Not injured this season but discovered this season.

My wife actually injured herself at last years AZ Summit skiing down Gondi Line. The binding actually hit her patella and dislocated it and fractured it as well. While she thought nothing of it and rested it for a couple of weeks, she since has been experiencing internal pain. With last seasons extended season, lots of hiking and this season it has become agitated. Now in the throws of this ski season her knee is bugging her more so she went to an ortho and had it X-Rayed where they discovered her injury. She now has to do Physical Therapy to realign the patella but refuses to stop skiing and she does not want surgery. The Doc told her to limit her skiing to groomers. However, somehow we manage to get on bumped up runs or chop and she then pays the price for a day or two.

My wife had her knee totally rebuilt, mostly skis groomers but will do smaller bumps. She did it over a summer, started PT pronto, and was skiing by next season.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

dlague

My wife had her knee totally rebuilt, mostly skis groomers but will do smaller bumps. She did it over a summer, started PT pronto, and was skiing by next season.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Cool that she is still out there!

That is the way to do it! I tore my ACL, had it replaced and recovered during the summer and hit up early season at K town in early November.

mriceyman

Sorry to hear it. Get it fixed, there will be other ski seasons.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Yea im more worried about my hockey season right now.. (mens league) we started our own team last season and went undefeated.. 2nd season 4-0 and teams want to beat us bad. My kids are under 3 so i have a couple more years until we are up north a whole lot more than now

hammer

Anyone else ever skied with a broken big toe? Banged mine up a week ago and I'm going to the Dr. today to get a formal diagnosis...still hurts to walk on it, and I was able to get it in a ski boot but it was uncomfortable.

:(

mriceyman

Anyone else ever skied with a broken big toe? Banged mine up a week ago and I'm going to the Dr. today to get a formal diagnosis...still hurts to walk on it, and I was able to get it in a ski boot but it was uncomfortable.

:(

Toe bang?

hammer

Just read x-ray report online..."Intra-articular fracture involving the base of the first distal phalanx"

In plain English I think it's the tip bone of the big toe at the joint.

MommaBear

I learned this weekend not to ski with a cell phone in my breast pocket. Painful when it gets lodged in your ribs upon impact.

hammer

Saw the X-Ray, it's a small crack on the tip bone of the big toe near but not to the joint. Podiatrist recommends backing off from activity for 6 weeks...not going to happen. Doesn't hurt too much anymore.

Have a ski trip planned to N. Conway next weekend (likely Wildcat but I'm not committing). Tomorrow seemed tempting with the balmy temps, but heavy snow/slush may not go well with a sore toe.

becca m

bump to thread - I'm surprised nobody's reporting any injuries with all the ice out there - ?????

Last Thurs - my first time to Mt Snow - so icy I switched from snowboard to skis. Found some snowmaking in the park so I skied under it - 2nd run under the snowmaking must have hit an ice ball & tumbled off the trail, landing head first under a small tree where my foot/ski was stuck in a y-branch. Took a couple minutes to figure out how to get leg out of tree with ski still on. Turned, climbed back up bank to retrieve pole - checked all limbs intact - YAY and then noticed my goggles jammed into my cheek/eye area. I was wearing a helmet, too. Went into bathroom to take a look (Carinthia base lodge) - EEEEK - looked bad, but, could see out of the eye, so, how bad could it be? Couldn't figure out how to get ice to put on my eye so said EFF this and drove the 2.5 hours to my favorite southern NH Urgent Care. Confirmed large cornea scratch, bleeding in the cornea, bleeding around the eye (HUGE black eye), antibiotic drops, told to see Eye Dr next day - same report - still hurts and looks awful but should be OK - YAY!!!!

That ended my ski day Thurs at about 1:30 - rough to ski back to car and drive back home...... afraid of skiing/riding ice - gotta get back on that horse.... UGH

bigbog

We've had snow/sleet/rain here in NNJ. Word from people up at CBK, the same.

Luckly its minor. Between the weather and soreness skipping today but range of motion is better today and I'm looking to get back at it hopefully midweek.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Keep up with constant ROM/flexibility exercises to keep tendons flexible instead of letting them stiffen up....

Confirmed large cornea scratch, bleeding in the cornea, bleeding around the eye (HUGE black eye), antibiotic drops, told to see Eye Dr next day - same report - still hurts and looks awful but should be OK - YAY!!!!

Good news....Dodged a bullet there.....

Last edited: