• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Windham vs Belleayre this Saturday?

drdavidge

Hi, wondering where to go this Saturday that will be best for people who stick to greens and blues. Usually go to Blue Mt in PA or Stratton in VT but looking for a quick day trip not too far from NYC and looks like these two got better snow recently vs PA. Know it's a holiday weekend so hoping to avoid a mess. Thoughts?

mriceyman

Yea you will walk into a mess this weekend at windham

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

kingslug

And Bell has a completely separate area for Beginners. Its where I learned to ski..has its own lifts...another great thing about it is the upper mountain has a mid way getoff point to avoid the single and double D's at the top. So you can...the blues...

Drewster

Windham is a no go! It will be a shit show with wall to wall Gerrys. Past Saturday non holiday had 8000+/- customers. Parked people at golf course and bused them in! I'm thinking jay peak

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

catskills

Belleayre 's green trails are the best. From the top of Belleayre there are 3 blue trails with roaring brook and deer run being both easy blue trails.

At Belleayre I would recommend parking down at the lower Discovery Lodge. Get the folks that want to ski green trails going down their. When ready to ski the blues I would take the shuttle bus from the Discovery lodge parking lot over to Tomahawk lift 8 . Take the Tomahawk lift 8 to the top and ski the easy Deer Run trail. This avoids the HSQ Superchief lift 6 which will have longer lift lines this weekend. To ski back to both either upper Overlook or lower Discovery lodge from Lift 8 you need to get off at midstation to take blue intermediate trails back.

For rentals I would recommend Potter Brothers in Kingston right off the NY State Thruway.

Many good large hotels to stay in Kingston, NY

cdskier

Windham is a no go! It will be a shit show with wall to wall Gerrys. Past Saturday non holiday had 8000+/- customers. Parked people at golf course and bused them in! I'm thinking jay peak

8000? Damn! Sugarbush a couple weeks ago on a Saturday had 7700 on a "busy" day. And they have the terrain to spread people out so it didn't seem nearly that crowded. I can't imagine what Windham must've been like with those type of numbers.

cdskier

At Belleayre I would recommend parking down at the lower Discovery Lodge. Get the folks that want to ski green trails going down their. When ready to ski the blues I would take the shuttle bus from the Discovery lodge parking lot over to Tomahawk lift 8 . Take the Tomahawk lift 8 to the top and ski the easy Deer Run trail. This avoids the HSQ Superchief lift 6 which will have longer lift lines this weekend. To ski back to both either upper Overlook or lower Discovery lodge from Lift 8 you need to get off at midstation to take blue intermediate trails back.

Does Bell still have the small ticket shack by the Tomahawk lift? I'm hoping to go there Monday and from everything mentioned on their website it seems they may not have it anymore (or they are keeping it a secret). I used to always try to park there and grab a ticket at that shack but haven't been there in 5 years or so.

legalskier

Was at Belle yesterday- conditions were far better than expected- 100% open with boot high pow in the trees. Snowed hard all afternoon, probably picked up 2" over 3 hours.
Dreamcatcher.jpg
This was in Dreamcatcher glades. This old timer left me in his dust.The dude is crazy good.

catskills

Does Bell still have the small ticket shack by the Tomahawk lift? I'm hoping to go there Monday and from everything mentioned on their website it seems they may not have it anymore (or they are keeping it a secret). I used to always try to park there and grab a ticket at that shack but haven't been there in 5 years or so.

Answer NO.

There is no lift ticket booth anymore at bottom of Tomahawk Lift 8. Drop someone off to get tickets at Discovery lodge and have them take the shuttle over to Tomahawk lift 8 parking lot. Bring lawn chair to boot up in the Tomahawk parking lot and avoid the lodge. Should be warm enough to tail gate party in the parking lot this weekend.

Hawkshot99

Belleayre 's green trails are the best. From the top of Belleayre there are 3 blue trails with roaring brook and deer run being both easy blue trails.

For rentals I would recommend Potter Brothers in Kingston right off the NY State Thruway.

Many good large hotels to stay in Kingston, NY

Plus you can save some money on lift tickets as well....
https://www.potterbrothers.com/shop/belleayre-adult-anytime-ticket-20-64yrs/

cdskier

Answer NO.

There is no lift ticket booth anymore at bottom of Tomahawk Lift 8. Drop someone off to get tickets at Discovery lodge and have them take the shuttle over to Tomahawk lift 8 parking lot. Bring lawn chair to boot up in the Tomahawk parking lot and avoid the lodge. Should be warm enough to tail gate party in the parking lot this weekend.

Thanks. I was afraid of that. Will be hard to drop someone off when I will probably be solo on Monday :) I'll see how it is when I get there. Maybe park in Tomahawk and boot up there, then take shuttle to the lodge to get tickets and just start on the Superchief side and work my way towards the west side as the day goes on. Unless I get there early enough where I can just park closer to the Overlook lodge.