• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

blow torch

Jully

I could have sworn that I skied there in May (like may 3rd or so)... Either way, I am hoping for something...

They closed May 3rd in 2014-2015 I believe. They've never gone deeper into May than that in any recent years though.

yeggous

They closed May 3rd in 2014-2015 I believe. They've never gone deeper into May than that in any recent years though.

They'll go into May if revenue supports it. Usually late April is the end for them. Their real goals is being the last in NH for bragging rights.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

WWF-VT

The mount Mansfield snow stake measures snow height. While a 3 feet drops is of the same magnitude to what I have observed at Jay Peak over natural ground, this is not a net loss of snow. Some of the loss is transfered to a higher density snowpack as snow melts at the top and refreezes further down in the snow column. While this is not good, it is likely not as bad as it may seem.

Not a net loss of snow? I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that is a net loss of snow. The NWS had posted flood warnings across Northern VT because a lot of that snow is now water not higher density snow in the snow column.

fbrissette

Not a net loss of snow? I hate to be the bearer of bad news but that is a net loss of snow. The NWS had posted flood warnings across Northern VT because a lot of that snow is now water not higher density snow in the snow column.

I was not clear. There has obviously been significant losses of snow all over the place. What I meant is that of not ALL of that 3 feet of compaction has gone into water. A good part (most of it in fact on top of Mount Mansfield) is still withing the snow pack. In other words, a 50% diminution of snow height is not equivalent to a 50% diminution of snow water equivalent.

Domeskier

Where is this mansonfield mountain and can they push some of that above-average snowpack onto the staircase this weekend?

Smellytele

Whiteface was skiing pretty well today but lost a lot. The lower mtn. was seeing some break through (dirt and other organic material). More trails will be closed over the next few days.

drjeff

The one thing to keep in mind in this modern snowmaking era, is while last week definitely did some damage to the natural snow pack, and even though it seemed like many areas really weren't making any substantial snow prior to the Pres Week meltdown, most ski areas nowadays can in a quicker, more efficient manor than ever before put down their desired amount of snow on most snowmaking trails earlier on in the season than ever before, so warm events at this point of the season so far less serious damage to snowmaking terrain than ever before.

So while the blowtorch does its damage to natural terrain, it's not the catastrophic damaging force to snowmaking terrain proportionately as it used to be

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Whenever snow is compacted and compacted again it all becomes the same density. This late in the year it doesn't matter if they laid down base or resurface quality snow a month ago. If they still have a decent depth they either haven't gotten sapped as bad as their neighbors or they had a deeper base to begin with.

Man Made is way different than natural due to the way it crystallizes. Man made is mostly little ice slivers and it freezes together, natural melts faster especially when it rains.

skicub

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1488246726.938375.jpg Sunday River is holding up well, but a few select ice sheets on steep passages (right stuff, upper Sunday punch) nonetheless. White cap still in great shape, but who knows what happens after midweek. Winching overnight Sunday made a big difference, but wind holds ruined the afternoon of a perfect bluebird monday. Still worth a trip...

the cubbiest skier you've ever met

cdskier

SILVER LINING

Even after losing 3 feet of snow, the Mount Mansfield snow stake is still currently above it's recorded average.

http://www.uvm.edu/skivt-l/?Page=depths.php

I was trying to avoid mentioning that as I fully expect it to drop to below average within the next couple days. Things will get a bit worse before they (hopefully) get better in March.

goldsbar

The Mansfield snow stake seems to indicate a great season. Maybe that's true for Northern VT (Sugurbush had decent coverage on MLK weekend, quality was lacking), but not for the Cats. Certainly not for the Poconos! Catskills I'd call average mostly due to snow making capabilities, Poconos below average. The rain/snow line has been pretty brutal this year.

slatham

The Mansfield snow stake seems to indicate a great season. Maybe that's true for Northern VT (Sugurbush had decent coverage on MLK weekend, quality was lacking), but not for the Cats. Certainly not for the Poconos! Catskills I'd call average mostly due to snow making capabilities, Poconos below average. The rain/snow line has been pretty brutal this year.

Yes there has been a significant gradient over the NE where Northern VT, NH and Maine have scored a great year, Southern areas of those states closer to average, but Cats, Berks and Pocono's below average, and the further south the worse it gets.

BenedictGomez

Absolutely. The r/s line had been poor to bad to devastating for those s.VT and south. You've really needed to go as far north as possible this season.

Newpylong

When our neighbors like Killington and the I-93 areas to the northeast were catching 6 to 8" snow a pop here in the Upper Valley of NH we were straight rain and warm routinely all winter. Besides the cold December and that snowy week, this winter is dejavu from last winter for this area. :sad:

Los

Yes there has been a significant gradient over the NE where Northern VT, NH and Maine have scored a great year, Southern areas of those states closer to average, but Cats, Berks and Pocono's below average, and the further south the worse it gets.

I'm sorry, but this has been bugging me... Northern NH's season was "great" and southern NH's season was "average" compared to what? The past 5 seasons?