• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

blow torch

VTKilarney

That's the catch. For weekend skiers it has been a good year, but they have missed the best conditions.

kingslug

Timing...thats the deal. The 5 hour ride there and back is a killer. A 5 hour plane ride while more expensive has been the trick for me. For those that live close to the northern resorts, its much easier. December at Alta, 28 inches in the time I was there. january Park City a foot while I was there. This last trip to Sugarbush, ice, then the monster storm hit, so we dove south to avoid the shit show that Stowe would become, 48 below zero. Okemo got 16 inches, most of which blew away with 50 mph winds. Timing, not so good for me when it comes to the N east. I nail the west every time. So lets all do a snow dance and get winter back here. And yes, its off to the west again, Jackson is getting more feet this week, on top of the 453 inches. Hopefully things turn around here. We still have a few months to go. If all else fails, the west will be good until June the way things are going. But I would like some spring skiing at the Bush and Stowe.

cdskier

No one should be happy about "spring skiing" in February. In the MRV we were on a roll of deep snow, powder and packed powder and today it's back to skiing icy groomers.

Agreed...and due to the timing of this last round of snow combined with the holiday weekend some of us didn't even get a chance to enjoy it (what was it...3-4 feet since last Sunday at Sugarbush when I left?).

Took 2 day trips to the Catskills this weekend. Saturday I was at Plattekill where it was soft and enjoyable but way too early for spring conditions. By 1PM on Saturday anything other than the steeper trails was getting very sticky.

Today I drove up to Belleayre. After two days of warmth followed by temps in the 20s last night and it not warming up too quickly today, you had very firm conditions. The groomers were "noisy". The bumps were edgeable on some trails but not what I would have liked to ski. I wish I had my Volkl AC50s with me instead of my Nordica Hell n Backs today.

bdfreetuna

Tahoe bound in 10 days, kinda stopped caring about Northeast weather. This year has been good to me so far, but I did have to work(and drive) for it.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Though my handle says Utah, I spent at least 28 years of my life in Vermont having been born and raised there. I remember getting really angry and depressed when these "melt downs" happened when I was first getting into skiing, but I quickly learned that when the getting is good, get at it. Ski like there's no tomorrow.

I remember in 2006 I was fortunate enough to have a pass at Cannon/Sunapee/Gunstock and one at Burke when I was in grad school. The second half of the season sucked for the most part and I kept "waiting" for the "good snow" to come so I could make the 1:15 drive to Burke and enjoy it. Well, I found myself driving up there the LAST day of the season to get some turns in and regretting that I did not go when I could and enjoy it for what it was. I certainly vowed not to do that again.

So no real solace I guess.....the forecast in VT/NE does suck. Rest up from the last few days (hopefully you got out) and look forward to more to come.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Though my handle says Utah, I spent at least 28 years of my life in Vermont having been born and raised there. I remember getting really angry and depressed when these "melt downs" happened when I was first getting into skiing, but I quickly learned that when the getting is good, get at it. Ski like there's no tomorrow.

I remember in 2006 I was fortunate enough to have a pass at Cannon/Sunapee/Gunstock and one at Burke when I was in grad school. The second half of the season sucked for the most part and I kept "waiting" for the "good snow" to come so I could make the 1:15 drive to Burke and enjoy it. Well, I found myself driving up there the LAST day of the season to get some turns in and regretting that I did not go when I could and enjoy it for what it was. I certainly vowed not to do that again.

So no real solace I guess.....the forecast in VT/NE does suck. Rest up from the last few days (hopefully you got out) and look forward to more to come.
Well put TB.

Sent from my LG-H901 using AlpineZone mobile app

Los

This year has been all about timing, although that's true most years in the northeast. I agree that we have had some great conditions - especially if your schedule gives you some flexibility.

Exactly. It's been about being in the right place at the right time.

albert a ripper

I find its always like that on the east coast. I've been preaching it to my wife for years, when its good you need to get out there. When its not, no big deal if you can't. This years she's been on the mountain with me for the good days, now she understands why it's all I think about. This past week she was out on monday/wednesday/thursday/friday. She's had more powder days this year than she has ever gotten in a season, and her progression shows. Now its all about having patience till the next round.

cdskier

I very much agree with the not waiting part. The first year that I had a condo in VT I tried to do too much "planning" on which weekends to go up. Ended up going up some shitty weekends and missing some decent ones as a result. Now I just plan to go up to VT every weekend (except President's and maybe also skipping Christmas/New Years depending on how they fall). Don't get me wrong, I've had some great days already this year, but a bigger problem this year is that many of the best days have been during the mid-week period. As much as I would love to be able to just drive up and "get it" on a Wednesday or Thursday when conditions are optimal, that just isn't realistic with the whole "work/job" thing.

And while the forecast for the next week looks crappy, I'm still holding out hope that winter comes back in March.

bdfreetuna

When you learn to actually appreciate ice, or all groomed over trails, frozen granular, and crusty trees, that's East Coast zen.

I'm not there myself but making progress. Good leg strength conditioning, sharp edges and a mindset of treating skiing as not only recreation but as an essential part of winter training go a long way toward that goal.

Been lucky to have enough real powder days this year to actually improve my powder skiing game. Don't get to say that every year!

drjeff

Personally I'd much rather ski on a less than optimal day than not ski at all and keep looking at the forecast and trying to make my schedule coincide with the weather.

Pretty soon I'm guessing the annual on AZ mentions of "I still have X# of vouchers left that I was waiting on a perfect powder day to use...." will start

Get out and ski! There's plenty of clothing options out there to let you make the most of what mother nature gives you!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

Cornhead

When you learn to actually appreciate ice, or all groomed over trails, frozen granular, and crusty trees, that's East Coast zen.

I'm not there myself but making progress. Good leg strength conditioning, sharp edges and a mindset of treating skiing as not only recreation but as an essential part of winter training go a long way toward that goal.

Been lucky to have enough real powder days this year to actually improve my powder skiing game. Don't get to say that every year!
I like your optimism, but you're nuts.😉 I was having a hard time "appreciating" the ice rink that was Platty at 9 AM Sunday.

Sent from my R1 HD using AlpineZone mobile app

hammer

Personally I'd much rather ski on a less than optimal day than not ski at all and keep looking at the forecast and trying to make my schedule coincide with the weather.

Pretty soon I'm guessing the annual on AZ mentions of "I still have X# of vouchers left that I was waiting on a perfect powder day to use...." will start

Get out and ski! There's plenty of clothing options out there to let you make the most of what mother nature gives you!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

I would agree with this if I got out more frequently, but in all honesty if I can't get out that often (which unfortunately has been the case the past few years), I don't want to just have another day of frozen groomers.

I do have two vouchers that I was hoping to use this past weekend but those will have to wait until sometime in March. Unless the blow torch continues and we truly have an early spring weather wise, there will be something to slide on for several more weeks.

Smellytele

Timing...thats the deal. The 5 hour ride there and back is a killer. A 5 hour plane ride while more expensive has been the trick for me. For those that live close to the northern resorts, its much easier. December at Alta, 28 inches in the time I was there. january Park City a foot while I was there. This last trip to Sugarbush, ice, then the monster storm hit, so we dove south to avoid the shit show that Stowe would become, 48 below zero. Okemo got 16 inches, most of which blew away with 50 mph winds. Timing, not so good for me when it comes to the N east. I nail the west every time. So lets all do a snow dance and get winter back here. And yes, its off to the west again, Jackson is getting more feet this week, on top of the 453 inches. Hopefully things turn around here. We still have a few months to go. If all else fails, the west will be good until June the way things are going. But I would like some spring skiing at the Bush and Stowe.

You say 5 hours of flying but you have to get to the airport at least an hour early - you have to drive to the airport, get parking, deal with security, lug your shit through the airport, deal with winter flight delays, waiting for your shit to get off the plane, get your rental car then drive to the ski area. So really it is more than 5 hours of flying. Don't get me wrong I still do it sometimes but it is really more than just the 5 hours of flying.

goldsbar

You say 5 hours of flying but you have to get to the airport at least an hour early - you have to drive to the airport, get parking, deal with security, lug your shit through the airport, deal with winter flight delays, waiting for your shit to get off the plane, get your rental car then drive to the ski area. So really it is more than 5 hours of flying. Don't get me wrong I still do it sometimes but it is really more than just the 5 hours of flying.

And that really only works for Utah at a reasonable cost. I'm writing from Taos which was a 14 hour all-in trip from NJ. Maybe could have done 12 hours with more optimal timing. Nothing wrong with skiing in Utah, of course.

Cornhead

And that really only works for Utah at a reasonable cost. I'm writing from Taos which was a 14 hour all-in trip from NJ. Maybe could have done 12 hours with more optimal timing. Nothing wrong with skiing in Utah, of course.
How are the conditions at Taos? I'm considering buying another A-basin season's pass this Spring for the 2017-2018 season. It comes with 3 tickets to Taos. I would like to do the Snowsports Week at Taos next year. I dropped the ball two years ago, decided to pass on it, they got 44" just before the Snowsports Week I planned on attending.

Sent from my R1 HD using AlpineZone mobile app

kingslug

Yes there is all that BS..but I can be on a plane and skiing at Alta by 1PM and get a good 3 hours in. I've been doing that for about 20 years and haven't gotten tired of it yet. I admit that flying sucks though. Yet, I've never had to leave due to crap conditions. I have left Stowe after a super freeze up and only gotten in 1 day, thats a crappy drive home.

Last edited:

Smellytele

Yes there is all that BS..but I can be on a plane and skiing at Alta by 1PM and get a good 3 hours in. I've been doing that for about 20 years and haven't gotten tired of it yet. I admit that flying sucks though. Yet, I've never had to leave due to crap conditions. I have left Stowe after a super freeze up and only gotten in 1 day, thats a crappy drive home.

Lucky. I have been at Snowbird when the precip was freezing on my goggles and couldn't see more than 10 ft in front of me

4aprice

I can be in Denver in 6 hrs, door to door. Very equal with the drive to Northern Vermont.

It's going to be 75 in Denver today, and tomorrow another storm is rolling into the mountains. To me that's just the best. Hikes, bike rides and skiing on the weekends. The reasons to be out there just keep growing.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ