blow torch - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 36 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: blow torch

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Still better than last winter! Though that bar is really low!

yesterday was surprisingly ok here at jay.
    in for lunch right now. the temps cooled off and the surface froze. it is hard and fast with a lots of baseball size ice. the main arteries are getting broken in. the woods are hard and icy and should be avoided but the sun facing sides are getting softer. better than i expected. the lines are thin.
    gladerider

Quote Originally Posted by kingslug View Post
    Its why i just keep getting on a plane...not helping the bank acct though.
    Me too. Trying to work out trip #3 (before trip #2 begins). These spring trips keep me interested and practicing even when the conditions suffer here.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Northeast winter.
    All that needs to be said.
    Last edited by SkiingInABlueDream; Feb 20, 2017 at 11:25 PM.

For Northern New England this winter has been better than average. December was very good. January wasn't nearly bad as people make it out to be. I skied on fresh snow most days out that month. The thaws forecasted weren't nearly as bad as predicted and often missing to the south. When it did warm and rain, recoveries came within a matter for days with fresh snow. Then you have this February which has been fantastic. Yes the warm up here at the end is a bummer, but the first two and half weeks were off the charts for almost all of NY/NE.

Just a matter of perspective from where you ski in the Northeast this year. Northern Greens and Whites up through Maine have had a very good year.

So, to suggest this is winter one really needed to travel west to find good conditions is just not true. Last year I buy that sure, but not a winter like this one. I think too many people cancel their plans too far out based upon five day forecasts. If they took the chance and just went, they'd be pleasantly surprised with what they found.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Just a matter of perspective from where you ski in the Northeast this year. Northern Greens and Whites up through Maine have had a very good year.
    This year has been all about timing, although that's true most years in the northeast. I agree that we have had some great conditions - especially if your schedule gives you some flexibility.

No complaints, plenty of powder days this season, and I hope to do some skiing in CO this Spring, but come on, 66 in February?!

Sent from my R1 HD using AlpineZone mobile app
    Leave no turn unstoned!

Pretty sure if the season ended in 2 weeks (and I sure hope it doesn't remotely do that) that most GM's would be quite happy with this season!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

Snowpack taking a beating in Central NH lost a foot the past coupe days. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    This year has been all about timing, although that's true most years in the northeast. I agree that we have had some great conditions - especially if your schedule gives you some flexibility.
    agree 100%. Most of the storms we've had this year have happened at the beginning of the week. by the time the weekend hits, the surfaces are skied off. Or we have a thaw/freeze right before the weekend.

Thread Information