• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

blow torch

dlague

Wow, I just pulled up the weather forecast for Killington and this week looks like it will be tough. The real issue is vacation week which will put more traffic on the slopes and in the trees pushing snow around while soft exposing the rocks, wood, and dirt which are cancer to snow. The next issue will be the following week where it freezes - cold temps at night borderline freezing during the day (no real softening), bumps and trees will be hard groomers will scrape off easy. No real snow in the forecast besides a small clipper maybe?

The east has been on a roller-coaster for sure and it appears that trend will not stop! Many of you have been able to catch powder days during the week and are salvaging the winter making it a great season. Some of the weekend skiers, well it seems like not so much.

http://files.opensnow.com/Colorado/2017/02-february/2017-02-21-28/2017-02-21.003.gif

Note the east cycles from blue to orange where Colorado seems to stay put - which will bring the west more snow.

This is fun

http://www.tropicaltidbits.com/anal..._frzn&runtime=2017022112&fh=384&xpos=0&ypos=0

While we have not had a real bad window yet in Colorado, this past weekend was technically the worst this season - in reality not really that bad, just real firm in the mornings due to night freeze and day thaws. Someone mentioned here that this is unusual for the west in February, but February is typically a slow month for snow see list below. In fact when we vacationed here a year ago, we had zero powder days (6+ inches) - but conditions were awesome just the same. We did get a couple 3-4 inch days though.

Months listed Most Snow to Least Snow

1. March
2. November
3. April
4. December
5. January
6. February
7. October
8. September
9. May
10. June
11. July
12. August

Congrats to those who have been able to catch some great powder days this month and in December - been loving the pictures and trip reports.

dlague

I can be in Denver in 6 hrs, door to door. Very equal with the drive to Northern Vermont.

It's going to be 75 in Denver today, and tomorrow another storm is rolling into the mountains. To me that's just the best. Hikes, bike rides and skiing on the weekends. The reasons to be out there just keep growing.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

70 for a high in the Springs today! We do love it - no dealing with shoveling and socked in snows and drive to where the snow is 1.5 - 2.5 hours. We alternated days this weekend - skiing Friday, hiked Saturday, skied Sunday, hiked Monday.

However, 70's this time of year on the front range results in upper 30's to low 40's in the mountains during the day and freeze up at night. Plus at 10,000 feet plus you are 2 miles closer to the sun. May not seem like much but it is.

JDMRoma

"HAHAHA I live in Colorado and you stupid fools live on the ice coast - HAHAHAHAHAHAHA."
Just change your name to Dbague.

Haha ! The only person out west who knows more about our weather.
Thanks for rubbing it in Dave.

Just remember take what the mountain gives ya .....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Cornhead

Plus at 10,000 feet plus you are 2 miles closer to the sun. May not seem like much but it is.
The Sun is 92.96 million miles from Earth, you really don't believe 2 miles makes any difference, do you? The thin air's ability to block the Sun's rays is much less than heavier air at lower elevations. The rays must travel through more atmosphere to reach lower elevations too.

Sent from my R1 HD using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

"HAHAHA I live in Colorado and you stupid fools live on the ice coast - HAHAHAHAHAHAHA."
Just change your name to Dbague.

That is really nice - thanks! I lived in New England for over 50 years and I skied New England for nearly 40. I loved skiing the Northeast and the Northeast ski areas have features that cannot be found out west at least not in abundance, narrow trails, more old school/tight knit feel, more down to earth, quick changing trails, etc. This being my first year here, I find it very interesting to see the season play out - am excited about it? Who the fuck would not be! I have been trying to compare and contrast. The winter here has been great - I think for most on this forum this season has been pretty good if not great back east as well. Actually, the past two weeks conditions back east have blown away conditions out west and early December looked the same as well. Weather patterns are different and climate zones are too. New England due to its location and elevation often gets tropical flows from the Gulf and those can bring boon or bust to the whole area all at once. Any moisture from the Pacific that reaches the mountains here have elevation to keep things cold and things seem to dry out at the Front Range it is a weird phenomena. Weather in New England can be all over the map while weather here is often consistent for the most part - that gets a little boring at times.

I am proud to have eastern skiing roots but I was not locked in to living there and we decided to make a move - to each their own.

In any case - you do not have to cop and attitude and become an asshat - I was trying to point out weather differences!

Cornhead

I think it's cool that you still post here Dave. I appreciate all your Western TR's for helping me decide where I'd like to ski when I do venture to CO. Carry on.

Sent from my R1 HD using AlpineZone mobile app

deadheadskier

Staff member
To be an eastern skier, you just need to channel your inner Aristotle. The coral reef trees and strip club bumps are wonderfully cathartic at Crotched today. I just hope I don't rattle a filling loose.

2fe8eac0c05959f97c603fb2e5275cda.jpg
42ecb64b84ad8f59251ca5ea0872000f.jpg

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

That is really nice - thanks! I lived in New England for over 50 years and I skied New England for nearly 40. I loved skiing the Northeast and the Northeast ski areas have features that cannot be found out west at least not in abundance, narrow trails, more old school/tight knit feel, more down to earth, quick changing trails, etc. This being my first year here, I find it very interesting to see the season play out - am excited about it? Who the fuck would not be! I have been trying to compare and contrast. The winter here has been great - I think for most on this forum this season has been pretty good if not great back east as well. Actually, the past two weeks conditions back east have blown away conditions out west and early December looked the same as well. Weather patterns are different and climate zones are too. New England due to its location and elevation often gets tropical flows from the Gulf and those can bring boon or bust to the whole area all at once. Any moisture from the Pacific that reaches the mountains here have elevation to keep things cold and things seem to dry out at the Front Range it is a weird phenomena. Weather in New England can be all over the map while weather here is often consistent for the most part - that gets a little boring at times.

I am proud to have eastern skiing roots but I was not locked in to living there and we decided to make a move - to each their own.

In any case - you do not have to cop and attitude and become an asshat - I was trying to point out weather differences!

Yes I am jealous that you are getting it to work out with the family and job. I know you are excited about living out there and you may not be trying to rub it in but it just seems to be that way.

SIKSKIER

FWIW,my friends just got back from Tahoe.They were so excited to be going after all the snow they had recieved.Rained 5 out 6 days there while we were getting the big goods here.

bdfreetuna

FWIW,my friends just got back from Tahoe.They were so excited to be going after all the snow they had recieved.Rained 5 out 6 days there while we were getting the big goods here.

I planned our Tahoe trip almost a year ago (skiing from 3/5 through 3/10) and it looks like it's going to pay off unless something weird happens weather wise. The rain would have sucked. Right now would suck also as half the mountains are closed and roads are blocked due to heavy snows. Looks like we might actually catch some normal good skiing weather and great snow conditions.

Don't want to jinx it though!

Duncanator24

When you learn to actually appreciate ice, or all groomed over trails, frozen granular, and crusty trees, that's East Coast zen.

I'm not there myself but making progress. Good leg strength conditioning, sharp edges and a mindset of treating skiing as not only recreation but as an essential part of winter training go a long way toward that goal.

Been lucky to have enough real powder days this year to actually improve my powder skiing game. Don't get to say that every year!

100% agree on the finding a way to appreciate ice and crap conditions. But 100% disagree on appreciating groomed over trails. I will gladly ski rocks, grass, dirt, and ice moguls. But I refuse to ski icy groomers, those are the worst!

SkiingInABlueDream

100% agree on the finding a way to appreciate ice and crap conditions. But 100% disagree on appreciating groomed over trails. I will gladly ski rocks, grass, dirt, and ice moguls. But I refuse to ski icy groomers, those are the worst!

You prefer icy moguls over icy groomers???
I can enjoy icy groomers with the right pair of skis.
But I think I have not ever found any pleasure in icy bumps.

Are we talking about the same kind of ice bumps here? I'm thinking of refrozen spring slush bumps.

dlague

Yes I am jealous that you are getting it to work out with the family and job. I know you are excited about living out there and you may not be trying to rub it in but it just seems to be that way.

Just a little too stoked sometimes! I honestly hate seeing the ups and downs of the Northeast. I sympathize when it is bad and smile when you all get the goods!

Duncanator24

Icy bumps, or groomed? I will take the Icy groomers! You need to get the right pair of skis!

While I prefer my moguls to be soft, I will gladly ski them icy and questionable. It is just more difficult that way so the challenge is kinda fun. Anything but icy groomers, those are just not fun. Crusty trees though are my favorite, gets your heart going when you really have to be on your game to make it out alive.

To each their own though, all skiing is great. Conditions are irrelevant most days since I will have a great time either way.

Scruffy

While I prefer my moguls to be soft, I will gladly ski them icy and questionable. It is just more difficult that way so the challenge is kinda fun. Anything but icy groomers, those are just not fun. Crusty trees though are my favorite, gets your heart going when you really have to be on your game to make it out alive.

To each their own though, all skiing is great. Conditions are irrelevant most days since I will have a great time either way.

I don't disagree with this ^, but as someone who has spent time in a race course or two, I can also appreciate carving a few runs when there's nothing but icy groomers.

I'm usually found in icy moguls/trees while my friends ski around them and meet me at the lift. They think I'm crazy, but makes you a better skier, in the end.