• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

blow torch

gladerider

this blow torch weather sux. :flame:

it was great in the morning yesterday and all the powder we had here at jay peak started melting fast.
now, most of the main arteries are showing the icy surface. slushy.

this weather sux.

prsboogie

Same in the MWV - lots of base is going away this week!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

snoseek

I'm so damn satisfied after last week I could care less and tbh it was nice skiing bumps at the crotch in warm sunshine today. I bet winter will return before its done. There's still a lot of base to lose in the meantime.

This weather makes me want to ride bikes though

Kleetus

And same here in the ADK's. Gore was awesome Saturday and woods were as good as they get. By the end of the day a few rocks began to show themselves. Only going to get worse this week.

It's a good thing we have the base we do on natural trails because we are going to need it to survive this week. I'm pretty confident winter will return at some point in March, but hope it's early to keep some of the natural base around. Obviously at Jay and Sugarloaf they have so much base this warmup isn't going to get rid of all the base, but for other places it's going to do some damage.

WWF-VT

No one should be happy about "spring skiing" in February. In the MRV we were on a roll of deep snow, powder and packed powder and today it's back to skiing icy groomers.

VTKilarney

Yet another cycle this winter of great conditions followed by too warm temperatures. It's been so frustrating, especially this time since conditions were absolutely fantastic. The long term forecast isn't helping either.

tnt1234

Crap. Last opportunity for a N. VT trip is 3/4 and it looks like absolute carnage again. Canceled the last time because of that thaw/ice/freeze.

Oh well. At least got a taste of this good run down in the catskills two weekends in a row. But hurts to think we're gonna get skunked 3/4. Might drive to Massif if they recover a few days earlier with cold and snow.

catsup948

After this weekend things might start turning around. Storm for 2/28 could go either way. Could be a huge game changer for NNE. 200 hours out it's hard to trust any forecast model. Just wait and see what happens before cancelling winter.

Glenn

Is it asking to much to have winter stay winter? We had a TON of snow in SoVT when we rolled up Friday night. Then the weekend happened. I would have been happy with seasonable temps to preserver what we have.

Hoping things turn around after this week. The temps for Thursday and Friday are insane. One of our friends up north started clearing the snow around his sugar house. Too early!

gladerider

yesterday was surprisingly ok here at jay.
in for lunch right now. the temps cooled off and the surface froze. it is hard and fast with a lots of baseball size ice. the main arteries are getting broken in. the woods are hard and icy and should be avoided but the sun facing sides are getting softer. better than i expected. the lines are thin.

deadheadskier

Staff member
For Northern New England this winter has been better than average. December was very good. January wasn't nearly bad as people make it out to be. I skied on fresh snow most days out that month. The thaws forecasted weren't nearly as bad as predicted and often missing to the south. When it did warm and rain, recoveries came within a matter for days with fresh snow. Then you have this February which has been fantastic. Yes the warm up here at the end is a bummer, but the first two and half weeks were off the charts for almost all of NY/NE.

Just a matter of perspective from where you ski in the Northeast this year. Northern Greens and Whites up through Maine have had a very good year.

So, to suggest this is winter one really needed to travel west to find good conditions is just not true. Last year I buy that sure, but not a winter like this one. I think too many people cancel their plans too far out based upon five day forecasts. If they took the chance and just went, they'd be pleasantly surprised with what they found.

VTKilarney

Just a matter of perspective from where you ski in the Northeast this year. Northern Greens and Whites up through Maine have had a very good year.
This year has been all about timing, although that's true most years in the northeast. I agree that we have had some great conditions - especially if your schedule gives you some flexibility.

Cornhead

No complaints, plenty of powder days this season, and I hope to do some skiing in CO this Spring, but come on, 66° in February?!

Sent from my R1 HD using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

Pretty sure if the season ended in 2 weeks (and I sure hope it doesn't remotely do that) that most GM's would be quite happy with this season!!

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

nhskier1969

This year has been all about timing, although that's true most years in the northeast. I agree that we have had some great conditions - especially if your schedule gives you some flexibility.

agree 100%. Most of the storms we've had this year have happened at the beginning of the week. by the time the weekend hits, the surfaces are skied off. Or we have a thaw/freeze right before the weekend.