• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

blow torch

snoseek

I planned our Tahoe trip almost a year ago (skiing from 3/5 through 3/10) and it looks like it's going to pay off unless something weird happens weather wise. The rain would have sucked. Right now would suck also as half the mountains are closed and roads are blocked due to heavy snows. Looks like we might actually catch some normal good skiing weather and great snow conditions.

Don't want to jinx it though!

I follow tahoe weather closely by habit and it looks like you'll be fine as its back to great again and it looks like some small cold systems dropping out of the north....but overall as long as the cold stays put you have a wicked base to ski on. Go ride 6 and ten at kirkwood

deadheadskier

Staff member
Yup! Do not know too many people who enjoy skiing glazed bumps - at least the groomed areas can be tilled a bit!
Count me as someone who will still ski ice glazed bumps. Those in the pictures from today back a few posts were skied by me more than the groomers at Crotched. As long as the bumps are well spaced (not too far apart is key) and on a lower angle trail I can have fun skiing icy bumps.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

MadMadWorld

70 for a high in the Springs today! We do love it - no dealing with shoveling and socked in snows and drive to where the snow is 1.5 - 2.5 hours. We alternated days this weekend - skiing Friday, hiked Saturday, skied Sunday, hiked Monday.

However, 70's this time of year on the front range results in upper 30's to low 40's in the mountains during the day and freeze up at night. Plus at 10,000 feet plus you are 2 miles closer to the sun. May not seem like much but it is.

"HAHAHA I live in Colorado and you stupid fools live on the ice coast - HAHAHAHAHAHAHA."
Just change your name to Dbague.

Haha ! The only person out west who knows more about our weather.
Thanks for rubbing it in Dave.

Just remember take what the mountain gives ya .....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
Dlague your just wasting bandwidth with your comments. Do the west coast boards not accept you? I don't see how that is possible with your vast expert knowledge of everything skiing and all....

Sent from my SM-N910V using AlpineZone mobile app

bdfreetuna

Dlague you're good in my book.. I'm taking a serious look at relocation in 2-3 years, when circumstances seem to present the best/only clean break my wife and I might be able to make from western Mass. Colorado is definitely on my radar.

If/when I move west I don't see myself sticking around A-Zone but I'm glad you do.

goldsbar

How are the conditions at Taos? I'm considering buying another A-basin season's pass this Spring for the 2017-2018 season. It comes with 3 tickets to Taos. I would like to do the Snowsports Week at Taos next year. I dropped the ball two years ago, decided to pass on it, they got 44" just before the Snowsports Week I planned on attending.

Sent from my R1 HD using AlpineZone mobile app

Like Jackson and Snowbird, there are steeps available at every turn. Much different vibe and appearance than those places. Blacks are some of the hardest I've seen - I see things through my 9 y/o eyes. Solid double blacks in the east. Think steep with big irregular bumps. No ice, but can be very firm. Ironically, doubles are just a little steeper (on average - some are sick) with better snow. It's a must go. Base is deep, but nothing new.

goldsbar

If you can control your speed on ice bumps, you can master anything. Requires all of the right counter, edge control and release. Nothing better defines how good of a skier you are than ice bumps IMHO. Done right, it's not jarring or unpleasant at all until you mess up a bit. Now, there's certain conditions like severely lumpy frozen mashed potatoes that are never good.

JDMRoma

So when's this ugly weather gonna end ?

tnt1234

Count me as someone who will still ski ice glazed bumps. Those in the pictures from today back a few posts were skied by me more than the groomers at Crotched. As long as the bumps are well spaced (not too far apart is key) and on a lower angle trail I can have fun skiing icy bumps.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

I agree with that. I mean, I get sore as hell, and it's not exactly 'fun' as much as it's 'more fun than icy groomers' IMO.

The low angle is the key for me. Outer Limits icy bumps....no thanks.

tnt1234

Probably as soon as I'm leaving Vt after a three day weekend of crappy skiing.

So that's around March 6.

Los

Yep, that's what I want to know. I'll take any good news I can get at this point, no matter how fanciful or unreliable. I'm desperate. So.... here's the accuweather March outlook for Bretton Woods as of 2/22 at 9AM:
Capture.JPG

cdskier

Yep, that's what I want to know. I'll take any good news I can get at this point, no matter how fanciful or unreliable. I'm desperate. So.... here's the accuweather March outlook for Bretton Woods as of 2/22 at 9AM:
View attachment 21952

On the bright side, this outlook shows below average temps for most of March...so that's something to look forward to!

JDMRoma

On Sunday temps will be in the 20s, but below 0 with the wind chill. The Northeast Ice Rink will be back in business!

Just another shade of Ugly.

Fck Spring ! Fck it all .... mother fcker