blow torch - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 36 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: blow torch

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    I planned our Tahoe trip almost a year ago (skiing from 3/5 through 3/10) and it looks like it's going to pay off unless something weird happens weather wise. The rain would have sucked. Right now would suck also as half the mountains are closed and roads are blocked due to heavy snows. Looks like we might actually catch some normal good skiing weather and great snow conditions.

Don't want to jinx it though!
    I follow tahoe weather closely by habit and it looks like you'll be fine as its back to great again and it looks like some small cold systems dropping out of the north....but overall as long as the cold stays put you have a wicked base to ski on. Go ride 6 and ten at kirkwood

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    Yup! Do not know too many people who enjoy skiing glazed bumps - at least the groomed areas can be tilled a bit!
    Count me as someone who will still ski ice glazed bumps. Those in the pictures from today back a few posts were skied by me more than the groomers at Crotched. As long as the bumps are well spaced (not too far apart is key) and on a lower angle trail I can have fun skiing icy bumps.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    70 for a high in the Springs today! We do love it - no dealing with shoveling and socked in snows and drive to where the snow is 1.5 - 2.5 hours. We alternated days this weekend - skiing Friday, hiked Saturday, skied Sunday, hiked Monday.

However, 70's this time of year on the front range results in upper 30's to low 40's in the mountains during the day and freeze up at night. Plus at 10,000 feet plus you are 2 miles closer to the sun. May not seem like much but it is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    "HAHAHA I live in Colorado and you stupid fools live on the ice coast - HAHAHAHAHAHAHA."
    Just change your name to Dbague.
    Quote Originally Posted by JDMRoma View Post
    Haha ! The only person out west who knows more about our weather.
    Thanks for rubbing it in Dave.

Just remember take what the mountain gives ya .....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    Dlague your just wasting bandwidth with your comments. Do the west coast boards not accept you? I don't see how that is possible with your vast expert knowledge of everything skiing and all....

Sent from my SM-N910V using AlpineZone mobile app

Dlague you're good in my book.. I'm taking a serious look at relocation in 2-3 years, when circumstances seem to present the best/only clean break my wife and I might be able to make from western Mass. Colorado is definitely on my radar.

If/when I move west I don't see myself sticking around A-Zone but I'm glad you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhead View Post
    How are the conditions at Taos? I'm considering buying another A-basin season's pass this Spring for the 2017-2018 season. It comes with 3 tickets to Taos. I would like to do the Snowsports Week at Taos next year. I dropped the ball two years ago, decided to pass on it, they got 44" just before the Snowsports Week I planned on attending.

Sent from my R1 HD using AlpineZone mobile app
    Like Jackson and Snowbird, there are steeps available at every turn. Much different vibe and appearance than those places. Blacks are some of the hardest I've seen - I see things through my 9 y/o eyes. Solid double blacks in the east. Think steep with big irregular bumps. No ice, but can be very firm. Ironically, doubles are just a little steeper (on average - some are sick) with better snow. It's a must go. Base is deep, but nothing new.

If you can control your speed on ice bumps, you can master anything. Requires all of the right counter, edge control and release. Nothing better defines how good of a skier you are than ice bumps IMHO. Done right, it's not jarring or unpleasant at all until you mess up a bit. Now, there's certain conditions like severely lumpy frozen mashed potatoes that are never good.

So when's this ugly weather gonna end ?

Ask the Great DLAGUE!!!!
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Count me as someone who will still ski ice glazed bumps. Those in the pictures from today back a few posts were skied by me more than the groomers at Crotched. As long as the bumps are well spaced (not too far apart is key) and on a lower angle trail I can have fun skiing icy bumps.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app
    I agree with that. I mean, I get sore as hell, and it's not exactly 'fun' as much as it's 'more fun than icy groomers' IMO.

The low angle is the key for me. Outer Limits icy bumps....no thanks.

Probably as soon as I'm leaving Vt after a three day weekend of crappy skiing.

So that's around March 6.

Thread Information