• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Grass Sticks Bamboo Poles (Steamboat Springs, CO)

justandrewprolly

What's up guys,

Just wanted to post about my new ski poles I just bought from the fellas at Grass Sticks. I'd been looking at buying some bamboo poles for a couple weeks and after looking at the different options out there, I landed on Grass Sticks. Not only are the considerably cheaper than their competition, they also (in my opinion), look way cooler than the other option I was looking at.

After using them for a few weeks I found that they flex very similarly to higher end composite or carbon fiber poles, but they weigh close to nothing! They feel bomber and after investigating a bit I found that the species of bamboo they use is among the strongest on the planet! The amount of customization they offer is awesome, and their bright color combinations really stand out. People have been commenting on mine non-stop so I figured I'd give this awesome company a shout out. Their customer service is top notch just like their product. I went with their touring grip option for an additional ten bucks, but it makes taking these bad boys out in the back country much more enjoyable, allowing you to choke down on the poles while hiking up hill.

Look forward to hearing if anyone else has em' or what they think about switching to bamboo poles!

DSC_0074.jpgDSC_0074.jpg

Edd

I was curious about them the last time I was shopping for poles but went for something else. I've never noticed a pair on the slopes.

amf

Ive been using a pair for 40 years. Nothing new there. Had to replace a tip, handle strap, and basket at various times.

Edd

Ive been using a pair for 40 years. Nothing new there. Had to replace a tip, handle strap, and basket at various times.

Modern poles are a fraction of the weight. Better; worth it.

Brad J

Modern poles are a fraction of the weight. Better; worth it.

Wait a minute , Are you talking about modern Alum and composite poles or the grass sticks ????? I have a pair of grass sticks and love them, I also have a pair of composites that I use for racing.

Edd

Wait a minute , Are you talking about modern Alum and composite poles or the grass sticks ????? I have a pair of grass sticks and love them, I also have a pair of composites that I use for racing.

I was talking modern poles in general. I have carbon composite personally but the grass sticks are modern also. The guy I responded to claims he's been using the same poles for 40 years.

Smellytele

I saw some guy skiing with ski poles made out of branches at Bolton Valley a few weeks back. they had baskets and handles but were just maple branches with the bark still on them.

Brad J

I saw some guy skiing with ski poles made out of branches at Bolton Valley a few weeks back. they had baskets and handles but were just maple branches with the bark still on them.

Well that's really throw back!!!!! I am glad I modernized to bamboo !!!!

amf

I was talking modern poles in general. I have carbon composite personally but the grass sticks are modern also. The guy I responded to claims he's been using the same poles for 40 years.
Yep. Same poles 40 years. I also have carbon comp. While there is no question the carbon is great (why anyone would choose metal is beyond me) I do question its long term durability. In the paddling realm I have had carbon shafts break unexpectedly, under stress that a wood shaft (I know, not bamboo) would shrug off.