• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowmaking in March

slatham

Win posted this today on the skimrv forum:

"The grooming team did a very nice job last night including on Stein's and tonight we will get to some other trails that we could not do last night like Ripcord. While the mountains has been put back together well, we are going to resume snowmaking on a number of the Gatehouse and Valley House trails this evening. We are calling back snowmakers from their lift and grooming jobs to patch a couple of air leaks today and then fire up this evening. With the temperatures forecasted tonight we should see some nice soft powder on a number of trails tomorrow morning. So bundle up and come on out. "

Lame. Meanwhile Magic has been pumping it out since yesterday afternoon!

JDMRoma

BW isn't making any snow and doesn't mention anything about starting up.

They used to rent most if not all their compressors. And after vacation week it was over. Must still be the case.
Surprised !

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

JDMRoma

Big shout out to Cannon.Wow!Now wheres that clown that said every place will suck this weekend?

Think that would be BG
And he's been known to be wrong before. !! Cannon it is !!

SIKSKIER

Think that would be BG
I know.I was being a smartass cuz I said yesterday with this really cold weather the big snowmaking mts should be able to crank out a lot quick.Very impressed and a little surprized with Cannons late season effort.Very out of the norm.Looks like getting a jump on it yesterday is really paying off.

SIKSKIER

Think that would be BG
I know.I was being a smartass cuz I said yesterday with this really cold weather the big snowmaking mts should be able to crank out a lot quick.Very impressed and a little surprized with Cannons late season effort.Very out of the norm.Looks like getting a jump on it yesterday is really paying off.

Puck it

Now the question is when do they groom them out?

I say Easter!!!

SnoDevil97

BW isn't making any snow and doesn't mention anything about starting up.
That's surprising- I was told this by a season pass holder/ regular that is connected with mgt there.

I'd be shocked if they did nothing, BW is always aggressive with snowmaking & grooming.

JDMRoma

That's surprising- I was told this by a season pass holder/ regular that is connected with mgt there.

I'd be shocked if they did nothing, BW is always aggressive with snowmaking & grooming.

I bet it's lack of compressors.

machski

Sunday River gets a fail for this round of snowmaking. Something is going on, Thursday nights terrain was atrocious Friday with little put down and last night they cut back from their stated plans. Tough to swallow, especially when top of White Cap needed to be replenished big time. Doesn't seem to justify again forking over more $$ for passes. Lift issues and now maybe snowmaking system issues? Infrastructure starting to come into question.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

Sunday River gets a fail for this round of snowmaking. Something is going on, Thursday nights terrain was atrocious Friday with little put down and last night they cut back from their stated plans. Tough to swallow, especially when top of White Cap needed to be replenished big time. Doesn't seem to justify again forking over more $$ for passes. Lift issues and now maybe snowmaking system issues? Infrastructure starting to come into question.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

That is really too bad to hear. SR snowmaking has always been stalwart. Seems like K and Cannon are the real winners this time around for spring snowmaking. Was toying with the idea of Boyne pass and Max for next year with the plan of some days this spring.

Haven't heard much from Crotched, Tash, and the Cat in terms of how much they're making and how it's skiing though.

Quietman

Cannon was still blowing today when we drove past. I will post a pic later. Yesterday's whales are joined by new ones from today. I am impressed!

Nothing blowing at Loon that I could see.

xlr8r

Cannon was still blowing today when we drove past. I will post a pic later. Yesterday's whales are joined by new ones from today. I am impressed!

Loon skied real good today actually. Walking Boss was worth lapping with the fresh snow they made on it, did it 5 times. Almost all the main runs on the main mountain had recent snowmaking. South Peak though was a skating rink with no new snow and the wind angle making it somewhat dangerous over there. They should have had South Peak closed

drjeff

Same thing I saw! Drove through the notch on my way home from a snowmaking-less Burke, past Cannon about 3:45 and all the guns backlit by the sun looked awesome! Agree with no signs of visual snowmaking plumes from I-93 by Loon

Sent from my XT1254 using AlpineZone mobile app

boston_e

Pico has been blowing for a few days and what they have resurfaced is skiing really nicely.

thebigo

Haven't heard much from Crotched, Tash, and the Cat in terms of how much they're making and how it's skiing though.

Crotched skied better today than Friday night. Was with my 4 year old daughter, stuck to blues and greens but everything was carvable packed powder, they appear to have made significant snow. Maybe an illusion but the pond also looked lower. Moonwalk was scraped bare in spots but may be unavoidable due to the high traffic. Was told by a liftie that their contract with the utility prohibits running the lifts and snowguns simultaneously this time of year, no idea if it is true but would explain the closure last week.

Last edited: