• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Snowmaking in March

Jully

FWIW, all the eastern Boyne resorts made snow in April even last year. That was proof that when the conditions REALLY warranted it, they would make snow whenever. Unclear if these conditions warrant it and if they think it will be cost-effective to do so two years in a row.

cdskier

Even as someone who doesn't really ski K, I was rooting for them when they went for June two years ago and following the progress every day (mostly through AZ). I don't think anyone on the East coast doesn't want K to make June. Its a great thing.

I'll agree fully with that. I haven't skied at K in several years, but I still love seeing them go as long as possible.

fcksummer

Website
fck-summer.tumblr.com
FWIW, all the eastern Boyne resorts made snow in April even last year. That was proof that when the conditions REALLY warranted it, they would make snow whenever. Unclear if these conditions warrant it and if they think it will be cost-effective to do so two years in a row.

I think it was a combination of the conditions warranting it and having snowmaking funds left over from not being able to blow. I imagine most places already exhausted their budget this year. Hopefully places can do at least some resurfacing.

Quietman

I think it was a combination of the conditions warranting it and having snowmaking funds left over from not being able to blow. I imagine most places already exhausted their budget this year. Hopefully places can do at least some resurfacing.

SR and SL also get large British groups coming in April for their holiday. I heard that this is why the blew late March in '12 and last year.

catskillman

If Hunter / Peak wants to sell some early season passes for next year they have no choice. The last few weekends have been a disaster with 1/2 hr + lines at the 6 pack, and F broken down and the triple line up the hill. not to mention thee brown spots everywhere now.
Long time passholders not too happy these days...............

I skied there today - the mountain is a disaster - they need to close Clairs - it is dangerous, rocks and plants sticking up that were taking folks down.

HOWEVER, on facebook today they had photos that certainly were not taken in the last week or two.

NOT good...........

thebigo

Snowmaking to resume sunday night at crotched if weather cooperates per snow report, nws overnight low is 24.

medfordmike

Pico says they will make snow on KA and 49er in today's report:

Current Conditions

(as of Sunday, February 26, 2017)

Summit Express is on hold until 11:00 a.m. for de-icing. The Summit Guarantee is in effect.

Hello Pico fans! We hope you're ready, because winter literally stormed back into the Pico area last night. The overnight storm front brought wet weather, followed by an inch of snow flurries, gusty winds and falling temperatures.

With temperatures falling nearly 30 degrees overnight, we are grateful for the smooth, soft surfaces provided by Pico's grooming team. Look for fresh corduroy on 12 trails this morning, including KA and 49er from the Summit plus Fools Gold, Gold Rush, Expressway and Lower Pike off the Golden Express.

Due to the timing of the temperature drop, the Gold Rush Terrain Park at Pico will be closed today, but Pico snowmakers will be back to work, rebuilding base depth on 49er and Upper KA.

yeggous

Wildcat tweeted that they are not finished with snowmaking for the year. Didn't make it to the mountain to ask what that means.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

Glenn

Stratton was making snow yesterday. And they had the lines charged on a few other trails we skied.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlague

Any snow making efforts before the rain tomorrow is a preservation tactic. They are laying a layer that will be gone by Wednesday afternoon to protect what is still there. The next storm looks to have a little backside snow - hopefully enough to cover the refrozen surface.

SIKSKIER

I've seen at least a dozen areas say will make snow during the Thursday cold snap.The majority of these places would be done by now so its more because they have to.Especially after the Wed blowtorch.