• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

President week crowds

dlague

I really don't care what line people use as long as all four seats on the chair are occupied when a mountain is busy. If a group of four people skiing together want to take the singles line instead of riding up together, go for it. It really makes no difference to me whether someone is a "real" single or not.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

I am with you on that, Our boys took the singles line all the time. They never asked to be put on the same chair together.

BenedictGomez

Unless there are singles cutting in front of groups and creating a chair full of only people from the singles lines, what difference does it make? It in no way makes the other lines longer it just eliminates chairs going up that aren't full.

I'm not talking about days where there's 3 people in a singles line, I'm talking about busy days when there's 33 people in the singles line.

On those days they are certainly not helping by stocking chairs that would otherwise not be full, because there aint gonna' be any non-full chairs that day. On "non-busy" days people aren't abusing the singles line because there's absolutely no point to do so.

I personally have only seen it at wachusett, and I agree it isn't right.

You've only seen people abusing the singles line at Wachusett?

I doubt there's a mountain I can think of with a crowded day where people didnt abuse the singles line.

Cheese

Ever been to a resort with quad, triple and doubles lines? Typically rather than pair two doubles they'll grab two singles to ride with the double so that the singles line keeps moving. That must really irritate the single line haters!

xlr8r

Groups getting in the single line is fine, as long as its a relatively small group. To see a group of three enter the singles line is no big deal in my mind, but seeing a group of eight do it rubs me the wrong way.

The worst people of all though are groups that refuse to ride up with singles. Numerous times I as a single have been grouped with 3 other people on quad chairs, where I will line up with them on the outside, and then they will hold back when it is time to enter the boarding zone of the lift. I know this happens sometimes with families, beginners, and young children, that is expected, and when it is not crowded, who cares about waiting an extra 7 seconds. But some of the time it is people deliberately doing it for privacy on very crowded days. When this happens I give them the finger and say thanks for for making everyone wait longer. Am I that off putting?

JimG.

Staff member
What is "singles line abuse"?

Is it people in the singles line who then group up at the head of the singles line and take up a whole chair? I do not believe I have ever seen that happen.

Griswold

No Benedict Gomez, I have only seen mountain ops having 4 people from the singles line all cut out in front of groups from the regular line to fill their own chair at wachusett.

Explain to me how on a busy day and you are in the regular line, the singles line has any affect on how many chairs it takes for your group to get on. Whether you have 10 groups of 3 who each use someone from the singles line to make 4 or you have 10 groups of 3 in front of you who go up as 3 since the singles line is empty, you are still getting on the 11th chair.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

Explain to me how on a busy day and you are in the regular line, the singles line has any affect on how many chairs it takes for your group to get on.

I don't believe I have the patience.

Instead, I'll allow the guy who uses it to his "advantage", the honor of explaining how the singles line results in a shorter wait on busy days.

Griswold

I don't believe I have the patience.

Instead, I'll allow the guy who uses it to his "advantage", the honor of explaining how the singles line results in a shorter wait on busy days.

Sick bro. Keep crying about it then

JimG.

Staff member
Ok, I read back a bit...singles line abuse for the purpose of this conversation is people who go on the singles line, who then go on the chair each one at a time to fill single openings on the chair as they occur, but who actually drive to the mountain together, eat lunch together, and regroup at the top of the lift to ski.

Seriously? Don't get so hot and bothered, there is always going to be somebody a little bit ahead of you.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I honestly have never in my life waited in a lift line with someone or overheard a nearby conversation from others getting upset about "singles line abuse."

I don't even pay attention to the lines around me. Do you actively scope out the singles line to see if people know each other? Maybe they know each other, but aren't skiing together? How do you differentiate the "abusers" from casual acquaintances? You honestly expect a mountain employee to make this judgment call?

Sounds like a pretty good sketch comedy scene. "Um excuse me, Mr. Lift operator; can't you see what's going on here? Those three people clearly know each other!!! They're abusers! I insist you kick them to the back of the appropriate line!! The nerve of them!"

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
When I ski I am blissfully unaware of other people and their issues/baggage.

It would never occur to me to monitor the lift line to make sure singles riders were strangers.

dlague

Groups getting in the single line is fine, as long as its a relatively small group. To see a group of three enter the singles line is no big deal in my mind, but seeing a group of eight do it rubs me the wrong way.

The worst people of all though are groups that refuse to ride up with singles. Numerous times I as a single have been grouped with 3 other people on quad chairs, where I will line up with them on the outside, and then they will hold back when it is time to enter the boarding zone of the lift. I know this happens sometimes with families, beginners, and young children, that is expected, and when it is not crowded, who cares about waiting an extra 7 seconds. But some of the time it is people deliberately doing it for privacy on very crowded days. When this happens I give them the finger and say thanks for for making everyone wait longer. Am I that off putting?

I have seen the hold back as well! That is even more f'd up then singles line issues.

bushpilot

And the reality is at many lifts, when there's a full queue lane(s) making up the singles line, and queue lanes that are maybe 1/2 full for the non singles lanes, it's usually a similar wait time.

On a number of occasions the singles line is longer than the regular line. I usually jump in the regular line and just slide up to a group with less than four and ask if I can jump in. I always do this when skiing mid week as they don't usually have a singles line set up. I think groups of two should join up with others in the line. Keeps the singles waiting longer.

Griswold

Completely agree with your second point, that is obnoxious. Disagree with the group of 8 jumping into the singles line being annoying. If they are ahead of you and decide to use the regular line as two groups of 4, your group is waiting two extra chairs to get on vs. if they decided to use the singles line. All of this assumes that people from the singles line are only being used to fill chairs by joining groups who are from the regular line and there are no chairs going up with only people from the singles line. That is why I would almost prefer to see that happen, less groups in front of mine so less wait.

gregnye

The worst is the places where its crowded and the line attendant points to 4 singles and lets them go onto one chair. Like wtf, the singles line only purpose is to make groups of 3 into 4. (Loon does this way too much).

Also while we're ranting: 6 person lifts are significantly less efficient than 4. Just go to Ragged on a crowded day. It's way too many people to coordinate--most often then not only 5 out of 6 people get on the chair anyway...

BenedictGomez

Sick bro. Keep crying about it then

Yah. Will do more bro.

CYCCJzYWAAAReRA.jpg

I have seen the hold back as well! That is even more f'd up then singles line issues.

Yes, that's awful too, even worse, because it's a net waste with empty seats.

The worst is the places where its crowded and the line attendant points to 4 singles and lets them go onto one chair. Like wtf, the singles line only purpose is to make groups of 3 into 4. (Loon does this way too much).

That's exactly what I'm talking about. Or even more than 4, like the instance I mentioned.

Domeskier

How do folks feel about self abuse in the singles line? (asking for a friend...)