• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

President week crowds

Edd

This singles line restriction thing is the craziest thing I've ever heard of. I had no idea.

Agreed. I had no idea this was frowned upon. I think using the singles line is fair game. Just fill the chairs is all I ask.

Duncanator24

If you even look at another person on the lift line, you cant ride the singles line. Strict enforcement; removal of lift ticket and immediate blacklist from the mountain. You must be dead silent and talk to no one, lest you be suspected for abusing the rules. That guy who rode the trail next to you and you recognize him on the singles line again? Yeah totally banned from the mountain now!

dlague

Also while we're ranting: 6 person lifts are significantly less efficient than 4. Just go to Ragged on a crowded day. It's way too many people to coordinate--most often then not only 5 out of 6 people get on the chair anyway...

less efficient ? Not at Vail resorts they are all over that shit! Chairs go up full. Breck and Vail have several 6 packs and they actually have a single line attendant.

cdskier

Here's where the groups using the singles line thing bothers me...

If I'm skiing with a group, it really doesn't bother me as I view it as one less group in front of me in the regular lines.

If I'm skiing alone and lines are minimal, it doesn't bother me.

If I'm skiing alone and the lines are getting long and you see groups go to the singles line because they think it will "save time"...this is when it bothers me. Let's say it is a quad chair and a group of 4 do this. If they had stayed in the regular line as a group of 4...that's only 1 chair being taken up in the line. Those people being in the regular line have a max impact of 1 chair on the singles line as far as extra wait time. If those 4 people are now in the singles line, you now have potentially 4 extra chairs of waiting that are needed which is artificially making the singles line longer than it should be and increasing the wait time for people that have to use the singles line. Keep in mind that the regular lines move no matter what. The singles line only moves when you have groups in the regular lines with less than 4. I'm not saying singles should be entitled to get up faster than the other lines. I'm going on the premise that if everyone does the right thing that all lines will get up with roughly the same wait.

Ski areas that choose to call out 4 people from the singles line to load a chair together...well that is on the ski area. Belleayre was doing this last time I was there on the Super Chief quad and I thought it was bizarre (and I was in the singles line and still don't agree with that practice unless you're trying to even out the lines).

SIKSKIER

This is the dumbest discussion I've ever seen in the forum where people take this serious.If it bothers you so much then get in the singles line and do the same thing.Wow.If this is such an issue for you then I would ski elsewhere.

xlr8r

Here's where the groups using the singles line thing bothers me...

If I'm skiing with a group, it really doesn't bother me as I view it as one less group in front of me in the regular lines.

If I'm skiing alone and lines are minimal, it doesn't bother me.

If I'm skiing alone and the lines are getting long and you see groups go to the singles line because they think it will "save time"...this is when it bothers me. Let's say it is a quad chair and a group of 4 do this. If they had stayed in the regular line as a group of 4...that's only 1 chair being taken up in the line. Those people being in the regular line have a max impact of 1 chair on the singles line as far as extra wait time. If those 4 people are now in the singles line, you now have potentially 4 extra chairs of waiting that are needed which is artificially making the singles line longer than it should be and increasing the wait time for people that have to use the singles line. Keep in mind that the regular lines move no matter what. The singles line only moves when you have groups in the regular lines with less than 4. I'm not saying singles should be entitled to get up faster than the other lines. I'm going on the premise that if everyone does the right thing that all lines will get up with roughly the same wait.

Ski areas that choose to call out 4 people from the singles line to load a chair together...well that is on the ski area. Belleayre was doing this last time I was there on the Super Chief quad and I thought it was bizarre (and I was in the singles line and still don't agree with that practice unless you're trying to even out the lines).

I agree completely with your point on why large groups entering the singles line can bother me. If its a group of 2 or 3 people entering the singles line, it will only hold up the singles line an extra 30s to a minute. But if its a group of 7, 8, or more people who jump in the singles line, now it is delaying the line 2, 3, maybe 5 minutes. Not a big deal, but it slows me down.

I usually ski alone, at least 75-80% of my days I'm by myself. And my point of view is as a single skier I get the positive of being able to ski all out, but the negative of not having a social experience through the day. So the singles line works to that advantage, people who are skiing single typically just want to ski lap after lap more than the average skier in a group. The social interaction on the chair and in line is the best advantage of skiing in a group vs skiing alone IMO. It seems like its either the best of both worlds or the worst of both worlds when people ski in a group but use the singles line to ride the chair out of their group.

Also as a single you do not really have the option of jumping in the group lines if they are significantly shorter than the singles line, which sometimes happens.

Ski areas that will fill a whole chair with singles typically only do this when the singles line has not moved for a long time due to properly sized groups or the singles line is much longer than the group lines. If they are doing it at regular intervals then that is not right

BenedictGomez

I had no idea this was frowned upon.

Knowing is half the battle.

Seriously though, think about it. If nobody thought it was wrong as you previously thought, why in god's name wouldnt tons of people just jump in the singles line and dramatically shorten their wait on busy days? I sure as hell would. Do you really think people DESPERATELY desire to ride the lift with their friend(s) and family? Hell no! LOL

Breck and Vail have several 6 packs and they actually have a single line attendant.

Does he get to carry a tactical baton? I hope he carries a baton.

If I'm skiing alone and the lines are getting long and you see groups go to the singles line because they think it will "save time"...this is when it bothers me.

That's exactly what we're talking about, busy days & line cutting.

dlague

Knowing is half the battle.

Seriously though, think about it. If nobody thought it was wrong as you previously thought, why in god's name wouldnt tons of people just jump in the singles line and dramatically shorten their wait on busy days? I sure as hell would. Do you really think people DESPERATELY desire to ride the lift with their friend(s) and family? Hell no! LOL

Does he get to carry a tactical baton? I hope he carries a baton.

That's exactly what we're talking about, busy days & line cutting.
We do not ride singles line when with family! I would do the singles line but my wife does not like that idea.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Domeskier

Seriously though, think about it. If nobody thought it was wrong as you previously thought, why in god's name wouldnt tons of people just jump in the singles line and dramatically shorten their wait on busy days?

They do. And when they don't, it is not (except in rare cases apparently) due to misplaced moral reasons. It's because the unintended advantage of the singles line (i.e., a shorter wait) is eliminated and all that remains is the real purpose for having a singles line, i.e. to make sure all the seats on a chair are filled.

Not to belabor this point, but no one in this thread has offered any reason (much less a plausible reason) for thinking that the shorter wait is anything but an unintended consequence of a system designed to make sure the ski lift is used efficiently. Why would a ski resort want to lessen the wait of solo skiers? What kind of economic sense does that make?

NYDB

Yeah, just go to wherever has the shortest line. Like 96% of ski resort patrons, I don't like lines or waiting on them.

If some poor sap's wife doesn't let him ride the singles line, that's his problem.

My wife doesn't mind riding the single line to shorten the wait. She's even happy to sometimes. Too happy. Last time I found her at the bar later without her wedding band on.

bushpilot

Also as a single you do not really have the option of jumping in the group lines if they are significantly shorter than the singles line, which sometimes happens.

t

I do it all the time! I jump in to the group line adn wiggle up to a group of two or three. Ask if I can jump in. They always say sure. If there is a group of two or three in front of that group I hop up and ask to join. At some point I will usually crack a joke about making the singles wait longer. I can usually beat a single in the singles line to the chair which is a huge bonus.

SkiingInABlueDream

I do it all the time! I jump in to the group line adn wiggle up to a group of two or three. Ask if I can jump in. They always say sure. If there is a group of two or three in front of that group I hop up and ask to join. At some point I will usually crack a joke about making the singles wait longer. I can usually beat a single in the singles line to the chair which is a huge bonus.

That's brilliant. It's also the first new content in an otherwise circular for >50 posts thread. :)

Smellytele

Now that sucks and would piss me off. Singles line is for whom ever wants to sacrifice riding up together. people cutting up through the other line is someone being a dickwad - like a motorcycle driving up between lanes.

dlague

Now that sucks and would piss me off. Singles line is for whom ever wants to sacrifice riding up together. people cutting up through the other line is someone being a dickwad - like a motorcycle driving up between lanes.

Well driving between lanes is legal in California!

Cheese

people cutting up through the other line is someone being a dickwad

So I'm only single until I've made a commitment? How long do I have to remain in this relationship?

What if there's a younger, fitter or richer option?