• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

2017-2018 Season Passes

xwhaler

Peaks Ranger Pass purchased
Considering buying a Mtn Collective as well for a trip out west

KustyTheKlown

Pulled the trigger on Peaks a few weeks ago. Still turning Max over and over in my head. $629 is a lot, but it is just so appealing.

curious - why would you do peaks and max? i can understand doing peaks if you are close to/spend lots of time at wildcat, mt snow, hunter, AND you don't intend to go to west. but i don't really see much utility in having both max and peaks, especially with max making a big catskills play next year

Jully

curious - why would you do peaks and max? i can understand doing peaks if you are close to/spend lots of time at wildcat, mt snow, hunter, AND you don't intend to go to west. but i don't really see much utility in having both max and peaks, especially with max making a big catskills play next year

That is exactly my issue haha. I can't decide how much overkill the Max is.

I'm doing Peaks for 1) night skiing at Crotched during the week and 2) trips to Wildcat. I figure I can get at least 30 days out of the pass doing just that and be very happy. I'm just about as far from Mt. Snow as I am from the MWV, so I'll never really venture anywhere else on the pass besides a few days at Attitash.

Max comes in for one-two weeks out west, very early and very late season back east, and a few long weekends (Quebec, SL, and Lake Placid). It is a little bit of a stretch... but I still think it is worth it, especially if I get the second week out west in.

The cheapest option for me would have been a Wachusett pass + a Max add-on, but I did some night skiing at both this year to try them out and found Wachusett to have decent crowds and a weird snow surface (I think because of their 2x/day grooming). Plus the terrain at Crotched is a little better.

dlague

We are influx - to Epic or not to Epic. Hemming and hawing about Rocky Mountain Super Pass. Even considering Summit Value Pass.

KustyTheKlown

We are influx - to Epic or not to Epic. Hemming and hawing about Rocky Mountain Super Pass. Even considering Summit Value Pass.

i push my colorado friends towards RMSP due to a general anti-vail bent, and because of my max pass

a buddy is moving to denver, got a sweet hospitalist job in aurora, and i think he made a good pass decision. he's getting the a-basin/keystone pass, and a max pass. makes good sense. two resorts with unlimited skiing, then 5 days at copper/wp/steamboat/eldora/crested butte, the ability to join the east coast friends on big trip (big sky? utah? kicking horse?), and days at his girlfriends family's killington house for the holidays.

KustyTheKlown

i push my colorado friends towards RMSP due to a general anti-vail bent, and because of my max pass

a buddy is moving to denver, got a sweet hospitalist job in aurora, and i think he made a good pass decision. he's getting the a-basin/keystone pass, and a max pass. makes good sense. two resorts with unlimited skiing (including the longest season in co), then 5 days at copper/wp/steamboat/eldora/crested butte, the ability to join the east coast friends on big trip (big sky? utah? kicking horse?), and days at his girlfriends family's killington house for the holidays.

he will be working 10 days on/10 days off, which sounds as exhausting as it does amazing.

dlague

a buddy is moving to denver, got a sweet hospitalist job in aurora, and i think he made a good pass decision. he's getting the a-basin/keystone pass, and a max pass. makes good sense. two resorts with unlimited skiing (including the longest season in co), then 5 days at copper/wp/steamboat/eldora/crested butte, the ability to join the east coast friends on big trip (big sky? utah? kicking horse?), and days at his girlfriends family's killington house for the holidays.

he will be working 10 days on/10 days off, which sounds as exhausting as it does amazing.

Makes sense too!

4aprice

We get my son the RMSP + and it lines up nice with the or Max Pass with Copper, Winter Park and Steamboat. Going to be real interesting to see what Aspen does next year. You can also get a Max Pass add on with the RMSP.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

prsboogie

Picked up the 17/18 Peaks this weekend at Wildcat. Just a solid deal.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

xwhaler

I've never understood the appeal of Mtn Collective. 2 Days isn't enough at any one area, and the areas are too spread out to combine them in a single trip.

For me it's because a trip out west next yr will be with my brother who buys this pass. We would be getting free lodging in Sun Valley and do 3 days there + a few more in either SLC or JH.

If I didn't have this connection the Max Pass is a far better play, I agree.

Duncanator24

I've never understood the appeal of Mtn Collective. 2 Days isn't enough at any one area, and the areas are too spread out to combine them in a single trip.

The 3 resorts near SLC alone make up for the pass cost. You can spend a 6 day trip between Alta, Snowbird, and Snowbasin. Plus by using the 50% off additional days, you can easily make it pay for itself too. Like if you spent 4 days at Jackson Hole, the two free days plus two half off days (including the purchase price of the pass) is less than 4 days spent there otherwise. Then there is a third day included at a place of your choosing if you buy early.

Everything else is then just gravy. It's a no brainer if the mountains on the pass were ones you wanted to go to anyways.

nkLottery

My plan as always is to ski every weekend from roughly Veteran's Day through mid/end of April.

This season (35 days) and last (40 days) I did the Killington Beast Pass + MAX Pass Add on. I enjoyed it but am getting a little too complacent with Southern Vermont skiing to justify wanting that Killington pass next year.

Next year's strategy is Mountain Collective + Max Pass. Especially because they increased the price of the MAX Pass add on (I think from $249 to $329).

For me, Mtn Collective is justified because you can designate one resort for that third day--Sugarbush in my case. I anticipate using the 3 days at Sugarbush, plus 1 trip out to SLC for any choice of Snowbird/Alta/Snowbasin/Sun Valley/Jackson Hole (maybe even Brighton or Solitude on my Max Pass). And/or a trip to like Banff

MAX Pass will always be justified for me because inevitably I'll be skiing Southern Vermont a good handful of days. I stay in Ludlow quite a bit, the Okemo addition this year was huge. I plan to just squeeze as much juice out of the MAX Pass on the East Coast, and make 1 or 2 trips out West on it...maybe Crested Butte and Big Sky? Or Crystal? We'll see.

Another thing I like about the combo is, I could do a three-way trip to Taos (Collective), Telluride (Collective) and Crested Butte (MAX)

dlague

I have not either. However, if you want to make a four or so day trip there is Banff (Sunshine & Lake Louise), Telluride, Taos and Aspen (some considerable driving), in Utah Alta, Snowbird and Snowbasin. However that still sits at over 100 per visit if you do one trip and nothing else. If you live around an MC resort then it cost averages out a little better like adding in Sugarbush plus the 50% off days.

skiNEwhere

Considering a move one state to the west next season. Curious to see how much an Altabird pass is, prices still haven't been released

catsup948

Purchased a Peaks traveler pass. Used two days at wildcat already, maybe one more this weekend. Hoping my schedule next season allows me as many midweek days as I did this season.

Jcb890

Purchased a Peaks traveler pass. Used two days at wildcat already, maybe one more this weekend. Hoping my schedule next season allows me as many midweek days as I did this season.

Nice!

The wife and I got the Peak Pass also - Ranger though because we can't get out at all mid-week. So far we've used it 4x at Mt. Snow and 1x last weekend at Wildcat. Maybe 1 more as well?

Not off to a bad start as far as $/day goes.

xwhaler

Nice!

The wife and I got the Peak Pass also - Ranger though because we can't get out at all mid-week. So far we've used it 4x at Mt. Snow and 1x last weekend at Wildcat. Maybe 1 more as well?

Not off to a bad start as far as $/day goes.
I'd consider heading to Wildcat this wknd if you can...I am starting to have my doubts if they make next wknd.