• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Wachusett 2/28/17

Zand

Quick hitter after work to seek out some spring bumps. Hadn't been to Wa in nearly 3 months, so need to start getting my pass money worth. Arrived around 5 pm, not that many people HOWEVER Minuteman was down for a few hours due to a clutch problem, so lots of people up on the summit that didn't belong there. Spent most of the time hitting the bumps on 10th. Quite possibly the best lines I've ever seen up there, nice checkerboard pattern the whole way through made for consistent runs. Got more firm as the evening progressed, but never to the point that made them not fun anymore.

Things got a bit more disastrous when they decided to groom the summit even with half the mountain closed, basically creating a situation where only 2 non-bunny hill runs were open at a time. When they roped off 10th, I hit Smith for what I thought would be a nice buttery smooth run, but turns out they only groomed lower Smith. I loved upper Smith with its soft bumped up steep pitch, but there were hundreds of people flailing around and ski patrol had to run sleds down a couple times. Decided to head out around 7 and get away from the carnage. Did notice Minuteman loading its first people on my way out, so hopefully anyone that went late had a much more spread out crowd and no more beginners on the summit.

Wachusett announced snowmaking will return during the upcoming cold stretch, which will be welcome with lots of small bare spots opening up in various places as well as some bigger crappy areas. Did take one poke over to Frannies as I'd heard of bumps over there last week, but they must've been mowed down as it was flat as a pancake. Hardly a problem with 10th's bumps being so good.

MadMadWorld

Frannie's had awesome bumps pretty much all winter. Gets lots of sun and rarely firms up. Sad to see them go. Glad you had fun on 10th. I try not to hit those unless it's spring or after a storm because people scrape them down to nothing but ice

Sent from my SM-N910V using AlpineZone mobile app

powhunter

I was up Monday and you could see those silver bullets shimmering in the sunlight from the bottom. Glad they softened up Tuesday!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zand

Frannie's had awesome bumps pretty much all winter. Gets lots of sun and rarely firms up. Sad to see them go. Glad you had fun on 10th. I try not to hit those unless it's spring or after a storm because people scrape them down to nothing but ice

Ha...Of course I go 3 months without going up and they mow them down 2 days before I finally go. Maybe they'll come back this spring. I have to say it was interesting seeing upper Smith left ungroomed. The wachusett clientele couldn't handle it but I loved it. Races this weekend will lead to grooming for sure but maybe they'll let it go ungroomed more often with spring approaching.

MadMadWorld

Ha...Of course I go 3 months without going up and they mow them down 2 days before I finally go. Maybe they'll come back this spring. I have to say it was interesting seeing upper Smith left ungroomed. The wachusett clientele couldn't handle it but I loved it. Races this weekend will lead to grooming for sure but maybe they'll let it go ungroomed more often with spring approaching.
I wish they would leave Smith ungroomed but it's a rare occurrence because of the reason you gave. It would be a fun bump trail for sure.